EML P261AA00 code coolant pump B?

Hi All 

Just had the EML (engine management light) come on and my mechanic read the fault to be a auxiliary pump!! his scan tool not the best and I then taken the car to another mechanic fault code P261AA00! which he said it's a coolant pump B (£160). I told him it's odd as I just had the car timing belt/water pump/service done at 115k miles then a week later I get my 1st EML:crying:

2nd mechanic googled the error code and we found a forum http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/143502-Fault-Code-P261AA00-Coolant-Pump-quot-B-quot-Control-Circuit-Open  saying it could be the EGR cooler which the 2nd mechanic thinks it's more then likely the EGR cooler!! (£300) now being a taxi driver am hoping it's a coolant pump B and am only £200 out or anyone had the same problem and it is EGR cooler as that's looking like a £500 job in total!!!

2014 64 plate superb elegance 2.0litr 170bhp 117,269 miles I religious use Shell diesel (every 2nd full tank v power) and I do boot it now and again to keep these EGR/Dpf clean at best!

I opted out having the emissions recall and I am 99% sure it's running factory standard ecu map car was a ex demo dealership with only 900 miles 10 months old at the time.

weird thing is the EML did go out by it's self for a week (1,300 miles) and is now back on hence the 2nd mechanic input today! I don't want to goto Skoda because they will remap it to the new emissions map and probably  just tell me it's a coolant pump B!!

anyone thoughts would be appreciated thanks!!

Edited by kitkat72

If you could post a full scan from VCDS it would help narrow this down. Unfortunately, the EGR assembly on these cars is known to fail and it's an expensive job due to the amount of labour needed (about 6 hours).

There's a secondary electric pump fitted to the cooling system on these engines, and it's certainly possible for it to fail. It's in a loop with the EGR cooler - IIRC it's used to recirculate hot coolant during warmup before the thermostat opens to the radiator.

A better diagnostic scan is a good start here, otherwise you could be throwing money and parts at it without getting any closer to a solution.

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the help guys!

Replaced the coolant pump B got the part from TPS they told me there was 2 different makes of pump and had to replace like for like I asked for the 2 then and I would return the pump I didn't use! They only had the 1 pump in stock.

The pump on the car was 5NO 965 561 the pump I got from TPS was 7EO 965 561 my mechanic said better phone TPS see what they say guy in TPS looked it up said the 7EO pump was a upgraded pump to replace the 5NO and was the correct pump to replace mine!

Fitted pump problem solved! 

20180813_133752.jpg

• Like 1

Shaun 

You get access from below just remove the covers and it's right there at the bottom of the radiator two hoses and 3 hex screws one of the hex screws is tight against the big intercooler hose just hand to bend the bracket a bit to get to it ;)

Car was on my mechanics ramp for a total of 45mins a good 20 mins I was on the phone trying to see if I had the correct pump said to my mechanic much I owe he said arrhh a tenner!!!! I laughed and gave him a score (£20)