Front door Handle

I have seen a few posts about this as I am having a problem with my drivers side front door handle.

I recently opened my  drivers front door on my car and now for some reason the door handle will not shut flush. the door shuts, locks and opens fine.

What I have checked......

I have checked both the cables from door handle to lock mech and this is fine.

Also I have checked cable from lock to inside door release latch. and all ok.

I have seen some posts regarding a gromit behind the outside door handle and its been mentioned that if this is not in the correct position it will stop the door handle from closing fully.

I have also seen posts relating to the positioning of the door lock which I think is adjusted via a hex screw inside the door below the locking latch.

I would be very grateful if someone would kindly clear this issue up for me and advise me the correct fix and how to.

Kind regards

Drew

Edited by drew_smith

No work to the door lock.

What I have changed is the long cable from the lock to the inside door handle.

when I changed the cable i didnt need to remove the lock. the reason for changing this cable was that it snapped. and after fixing it one day I pulled the door handle quite hard by accident "I have heavy hands" and now it wont sit flush.

Behind the grommet inside the door is a torx bolt.

This is attached to a horseshoe shaped clip, if it is to far in or out the doorhandle cant pass through it properly

Although it is very unlikely this would ever become loose or tighten of its own accord.

It would be more likely that the doorhandle wouldn't come out enough

Thanks.

This is the strange thing as I have not touched the lock.

The only possibility is that when tje door handle cable broke/fraied that it somehow jammed in the lock and forced movement.

So to confirm! What I need to do is adjust this hex screw on the inside of the door amd the handle should go back into place.

Can you please confirm this.

Just another note. the door handle seems to have more wobble/seems loose.

Kind regards.

Drew

Edited by drew_smith

• john999boy changed the title to Front door Handle

The torx holds the key barrel in place or in the case of the other 3 doors the blank.

I would personally see if the torx is loose to start with. If it is then tighten it while trying to the doorhandle at the same time to ensure full travel.

Equally if its tight undo and the do the same.

Trial and error

BUT!!! do not allow the door to slam shut while testing this.

If the clip is in a position where the handle is flat against the door but doesnt open all the way then the door wont open and you'll be forced to remove the doorcard from the inside and manipulate the lock with long flat screwdrivers until it gives up.

This will equal a new lock.

I actually found this out myself after fitting a brand new lock and didnt adjust the handle properly!

I closed the door and it stuck and had to smash it open.

Ended up buying another lock and fitting 2 to the same door in the sane day so be careful! 

thanks fella.

So basically check the latch while open and after testing. but do not close door till fully tested while open.

thanks again will check this over the next few days and let you know.

Kind regards

Edited by drew_smith

Yup. Even a tiny smudge out can make the latch stay closed. Id advise put a thick folded up towel over the the top of the door, to stop it closing by accident. Operate the latch with a screwdriver to simulate locking while you test.

7 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Yup. Even a tiny smudge out can make the latch stay closed. Id advise put a thick folded up towel over the the top of the door, to stop it closing by accident. Operate the latch with a screwdriver to simulate locking while you test.

Thanks. thats exactaly what I will do.

thanks for all your help.

if the handle has been removed it may not have been fitted again correctly. loosen the torx on the edge of the door, pull the lock out. 

unclip the cable from the handle which is just a case of prying off the tab on the side.

pull the handle out, refit but make sure it grabbing the plastic clip you can see with the handle out, sometimes when refitting it can be tricky to get it right in there but you'll see what i mean when it is out.

once its placed properly in that clip, just push the cable tab into the handle without putting tension on it and put it all back together.

the amount of times i've removed handles and had them not sitting flush when reinstalling simply because i havent made sure it has clipped back in place is ridiculous. its a simple setup but if not clipped in, it wont sit flush

• Thanks 1

well Iv tried the top torx on the door I loosened it off as far as I dared and the is no joy with the handle going back flush

I have not tried taking the barrel out yet as I do not have a torx long enough.

The actually locking mech seems fine.

Im just confused why this has happened as I have not touched the locking mech. only changed the cable from inside door handle to lock.

Saying that! my door handle does seem to be a bit floppy

Edited by drew_smith

• 4 years later...