Options and aftermarket questions on Superb Estate

1 hour ago, Gyp said:

Do you really mean 600kg???

I know my home made boot floor can take 100kg as I've crawled about in the back, but I'd not want to try 600!

Possibly might be OK if you were to put a few long timbers under the VBF such that the VBF couldn't flex (and put the rear shelf between the timbers)

Potentially, yes,

The max payload including people is I think 715kg for a Superb Estate. Minus me, and leaving a generous leeway, still leaves well over 600kg. And I think I should be able to expect that routinely :biggrin:, ‘cos the specification says it can.

After all, 600kg is only a couple of dozen bags of sand. If I am only a few short, I hope it could take a few extra for a while rather than make a second trip.  I have had 14 or 15 in my current largish supermini, albeit for a short distance.

F

Edited by Ferdinand2000

On 08/07/2018 at 23:37, xman said:

Do use the finance to get £3000 off and 2 free services. You can pay it off within 14 days if you want and still keep the discount and services.

And did you make use of this?

Plus, if you request a test drive online you will receive a £500 voucher** to redeem when you order your new ŠKODA SUPERB.

Hi I've just bought a new Superb L&K Estate. I took advantage of the dealer deposit and had the car on finance. When I enquired about the servicing package Rainworth told me that it was included in the price as part of the finance deal. I'd always intended paying off the finance within the 14 day cooling off period, which I did, but didn't say anything as I didn't want to p*ss the dealer off! Looking at your post above it seems like the service package might still be valid - does anyone know if that is correct and if so does the car have to go back to Rainworth or can it be serviced by my local dealer? Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Can anyone confirm, the estate comes with the retractable parcel shelf and then the option for a retractable shelf is the one that automatically retracts when you open the boot.

i can’t imagine an estate with a hard/fixed shelf these days.

My L&K estate that I bought 4 weeks ago came with a retractable parcel shelf 

7 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Can anyone confirm, the estate comes with the retractable parcel shelf and then the option for a retractable shelf is the one that automatically retracts when you open the boot.

i can’t imagine an estate with a hard/fixed shelf these days.

This confused me.

The retractable one seems to wind back when you open the boot, but the other one seems to retract when you pat it.

I did not go for the retractable.

22 hours ago, Ferdinand2000 said:

Potentially, yes,

The max payload including people is I think 715kg for a Superb Estate. Minus me, and leaving a generous leeway, still leaves well over 600kg. And I think I should be able to expect that routinely :biggrin:, ‘cos the specification says it can.

After all, 600kg is only a couple of dozen bags of sand. If I am only a few short, I hope it could take a few extra for a while rather than make a second trip.  I have had 14 or 15 in my current largish supermini, albeit for a short distancs

Fair enough.

I guess i was thinking that the 715kg maximum would be fairly evenly distributed about the vehicle rather than a driver and 600kg in the boot, but if that's the spec...

Not sure I'd risk it with a VBF, but give it a try and report back!

2 hours ago, Gyp said:

Fair enough.

I guess i was thinking that the 715kg maximum would be fairly evenly distributed about the vehicle rather than a driver and 600kg in the boot, but if that's the spec...

Not sure I'd risk it with a VBF, but give it a try and report back!

For heavier usage I expect to build my own extra VBF out of 18mm OSB or ply.

21 hours ago, Ferdinand2000 said:

For heavier usage I expect to build my own extra VBF out of 18mm OSB or ply.

For your intended purposes have you not considered a transit :-)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wheelnut said:

For your intended purposes have you not considered a transit :-)

A Transit is worse 8n th3 snow, and not so good at carrying long pieces of wood :cool:. Or driving in snow.

Plus any children would have to be tied to the roof. That would be fine by me, but perhaps not for any small people.

Edited by Ferdinand2000

Just picking up on the warranty you mentioned, I am pretty sure that if you want to extend the full manufacturers warranty from 3 to 5 years this has to be done with the new vehicle order, otherwise years 3-5 won't be such a comprehensive warranty. Worth checking with your dealer.

7 minutes ago, Speedman said:

Just picking up on the warranty you mentioned, I am pretty sure that if you want to extend the full manufacturers warranty from 3 to 5 years this has to be done with the new vehicle order, otherwise years 3-5 won't be such a comprehensive warranty. Worth checking with your dealer.

I believe that has to be done before a Registration.

But thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Returning to this thread - I have the new car.

The car he is here:

IMG_1370-s.thumb.jpg.e1af5c8140bc950fb0e02776fbd54714.jpg

And the house door (original use case: carry a stack of housedoors flat) she fits (below). I managed to restrain myself from taking one round the dealers to test.

IMG_1375-s.thumb.jpg.c70aebba6be5407e624b6826a3478b33.jpg

IMG_1377-s.thumb.jpg.4806bd0ef96544a9e34e7c2bff6d2799.jpg

IMG_1374-s.thumb.jpg.239fbc7f069795e69b0fc66db530e79f.jpg

I need a couple of few protective products for when I am carrying things:

Protector for the top side of the rear bumper.

Come sort of robust boot liner.

Protection for the passenger seat when folded flat.

Maybe elasticated seat covers that can be kept in the boot.

Some sort of thing for behind the front seats to keep things back and protect the leather.

And I need to give a little thought to a stronger 'variable boot floor', as the OEM item is limited to 75kg. A couple of battens sat underneath might do it, but I want a decent answer for the long term. At first through that might be a new version made of plywood and a piano hinge (£2 from Screwfix for a 1m item), or a set of perhaps 4 support battens hinged like a shear-frame.

I am having slight qualms about the pale leather, but a dark car with dark leather sans pano sunroof (could not afford to lose 50mm of height) would perhaps leave me feeling like Darth Vader in a coal scuttle.

Will probably start a new thread for these bits and pieces.

cheers

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand2000

• 2 weeks later...