Oil on alloys

Hi,

Just wanted to check if anyone has knowledge on what could be going on. I took the car to the dealers to take photograph of a leaky shock absorber for a warranty claim last Thursday (I did a major service a week before that) and after that noticed the steering having a bit more play (loose) than normal. On Saturday, I noticed there were oil stains on the alloy wheels. Does someone know what could cause this? I have attached some pictures of the same and the springs behind the wheels as far as I could get to without any other equipment. The brake fluid seems to be still above max level and engine oil is also ok.

image.thumb.png.aa869236687cbbd9bebcc953a0fa444a.png

image.thumb.png.96bc822111a10acefb01a4c34af3daf4.png

image.thumb.png.914b457821dc9dbb88b09b4285e2aac8.png

image.thumb.png.521701f43a423612dc5b5c4b37556bdb.png

You could turn your steering to full lock and have a butchers at your track rods and callipers, just to be sure, but I'm with pistonbroke - looks like it's run down from the tyre, rather than run out from the inside.

Gaz 

Thanks. The dealers cleaned it as part of the major service a week ago. So it might not be the things I have been reading about like broken drive shaft cover or anything like that which is good. 

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

That looks like tyre dressing has been applied a bit too liberally, and has run onto the rim and attracted dust.

Have you had the car cleaned recently?

Thats exactly what I thought when I saw it.  Tyre dressing has liberally been applied and then not allowed to dry before being driven.  The 3rd pic clearly shows that some form of dressing has been applied to the tyres if you look at the sheen where it says Continental at the top left of the pic.

Edited by ScoutCJB

42 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

What does it taste like .................................might be dog p*ss?

I was convinced I had a radiator link on my old Focus as there was a puddle of fluid, dirty/light brown on the under tray beneath the front grill and signs on the paintwork it had come from higher up.

Called my mechanic friend and he said check in a few other places (all clear) and coolant level (full and didn't budge for weeks).

A month or so later I saw a cat spraying the front of my car leaving the same colour fluid in the same place..... straight on the phone to my mate again who had a good laugh at me!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alladin1616 said:

Thanks. The dealers cleaned it as part of the major service a week ago. So it might not be the things I have been reading about like broken drive shaft cover or anything like that which is good. 

I had exactly the same thing on my Volvo a week after we collected it & were holidaying in Italy.

The high températures at the time (like you have in the UK now) caused the tyre paint to run leaving the same marks on the alloys as you have.

Its really difficult to clean off & in the end I had to use some of the chemical Wheel cleaner stuff which I dont like doing).