Beginners Help

Cakemonster

My new car prep is as follows... (brace your self... )

Wheels washed and faces cleaned with a dedicated wash mitt, barrels cleaned with a Wheel Woolly brush.

Snow foam, dwelling time depending on conditions, but around 5 to 10 minutes

Rinse

Wash with wash mitt using 2 bucket method

Rinse

Iron X decontamination, dwell for around 5 minutes 

Rinse

Clay bar body work and glass (And don't forget, "Drop the clay, throw it away!")

Rinse

Dry with a plush drying towel

Machine polish with a dual action machine. Depending on the age and condition of the paint, I may compound polish first...

Light coat of snow foam to lift off the polish dust

Rinse

Dry with a fresh towel

Wax

Clean the glass inside and out

Dress the tyres and wax the alloys

Hoover inside

Air freshener sprayed on the matts

Check tyre pressures, oil, coolant and washer fluid levels

And then fall over going "wibble!"

• Thanks 1

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:13, Cakemonster said:

more like BEER!

I don't drink.... Unless it's a chilled Chablis.... but even that's very rare, lol!!

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:16, richie said:

My new car prep is as follows... (brace your self... )

Wheels washed and faces cleaned with a dedicated wash mitt, barrels cleaned with a Wheel Woolly brush.

Snow foam, dwelling time depending on conditions, but around 5 to 10 minutes

Rinse

Wash with wash mitt using 2 bucket method

Rinse

Iron X decontamination, dwell for around 5 minutes 

Rinse

Clay bar body work and glass (And don't forget, "Drop the clay, throw it away!")

Rinse

Dry with a plush drying towel

Machine polish with a dual action machine. Depending on the age and condition of the paint, I may compound polish first...

Light coat of snow foam to lift off the polish dust

Rinse

Dry with a fresh towel

Wax

Clean the glass inside and out

Dress the tyres and wax the alloys

Hoover inside

Air freshener sprayed on the matts

Check tyre pressures, oil, coolant and washer fluid levels

And then fall over going "wibble!"

EDIT!!!!! I forgot... Silly me

Clean the seats with a leather cleaner and condition them (if leather obviously, or at least the leather parts..)

Protect the seats (and carpets) if they are fabric with 303 Aerospace fabric protector (bit like scotch guard)

Dress the inner plastics, dash board and door cards

2 hours ago, richie said:

EDIT!!!!! I forgot... Silly me

Clean the seats with a leather cleaner and condition them (if leather obviously, or at least the leather parts..)

Protect the seats (and carpets) if they are fabric with 303 Aerospace fabric protector (bit like scotch guard)

Dress the inner plastics, dash board and door cards

I must admit, I do keep the inside much cleaner than outside, the current Mrs Cakemonster will be banned from eating or drinking inside  :D

2 hours ago, richie said:

I don't drink.... Unless it's a chilled Chablis.... but even that's very rare, lol!!

definitely chilled, warm would be so uncouth, even for me! :beer::drink: 

So.... As I'm getting supplies ready for when my pride and joy arrives, I had a play tonight with my new jet wash, snow foam,  two buckets etc. on the wife's car. 

Now, my next question is, what do you do with the wet/damp mits & drying towels after each wash?  Let them dry naturally, wash them or just leave them in the bucket (I got one with a lid - dirty mountain bikes live in the garage) 

Cheers 

Hang them on the washing line, make sure that you use most of your wifes clothes pegs to secure them to the washing line

This will make sure that your drying towels and mitts are ready for their next use

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2018 at 21:08, Cakemonster said:

Now, my next question is, what do you do with the wet/damp mits & drying towels after each wash?  Let them dry naturally, wash them or just leave them in the bucket (I got one with a lid - dirty mountain bikes live in the garage) 

For me, a non-bio short wash at 30 or 40, then natural line dry. Certainly don't add any fabric conditioner or additional product/additive, nor tumble dry them.

They've been used to remove dirt and clean the car, so then they need to be cleaned themselves :)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

This weekend was my first with the car so after a snow foam & two bucket wash I cleaned the paint with Bilt Hamber paint cleanser, then applied Fusso Dark on Saturday then on Sunday Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax.

I have to say the Fusso was amazing on its own and quite easy to put on - very much 'less is more' and is one of the few things I've come across that lives up to the hype , watching the rain bead on Sunday morning was very satisfying.:biggrin:

The Meguairs Liquid wax, has improved this even more. (in the main)

However this morning the whole car was covered in dew/condensation and there were a couple of areas where I could still see the Meguairs, this wasn't visible yesterday, I went round the car checked & double checked. And now the car's dry at work, you can't see them.

How do I remove the marks/wax? Is it a case of more buffing, or will detailing spray help?

Edited by Cakemonster

2 hours ago, Cakemonster said:

How do I remove the marks/wax? Is it a case of more buffing, or will detailing spray help?

Good to hear you got it done :). I'd try buffing first (I assume you are doing it by hand), and if it still doesn't go, give it a spritz of qd spray. 

I find I've always missed somewhere, so as a last action I run a clean polish mitt from front to back using no pressure at all, and deliberately doing it a different pattern than I did the original clean. The bits I've missed will be "grabby" under the mitt, and I use a microfibre cloth to take off the residue. One final run over with the other side of the mitt and if all is smooth I'm good to go.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Good to hear you got it done :). I'd try buffing first (I assume you are doing it by hand), and if it still doesn't go, give it a spritz of qd spray. 

I find I've always missed somewhere, so as a last action I run a clean polish mitt from front to back using no pressure at all, and deliberately doing it a different pattern than I did the original clean. The bits I've missed will be "grabby" under the mitt, and I use a microfibre cloth to take off the residue. One final run over with the other side of the mitt and if all is smooth I'm good to go.

Cheers Jeff, I'll give it a go when I get home, it's nice and sunny here now and I can't see anything from any angle, this morning it looked like the mist/dew was attracted to residual wax. A bit like writing on a mirror with your finger, then watching the writing re-appear when it steams up

Apart from that issue, I was quite pleased with the results :biggrin:

DSC_0277[1].JPG

• Like 1

Wax tends to 'breathe' so it's not unusual at all, to find some residue the next day. Even in areas you're 100% sure you covered when you originally applied :)

As said, just go back over these areas with a microfibre buffing towel.

• Thanks 1