Steel wheels

Although 16inch steel fit with front discs, they do not allow sufficient brake cooling. Hence temporary wheel only with 50 speed restriction. 17s on 312mm is minimum size 

Welcome.

Sorry but that is nonsense IMO.

Spare wheel not matching the other 3 wheels or tyres, different treads, compound, size maybe pressure so limited speed.

I would like to see the overheating brake discs because steel wheels are on 16" or 17" which have clearance.

Unless the brakes are being used hard why will the discs be hotter than a car the same weight with smaller discs and smaller wheels.

Then steel wheels used on a car with winter tyres.

• Like 2

I dont believe my spare has a speed restriction on it.  From my understanding its usually found on space savers. Albeit if i ever was to get a puncture (touch wood i dont)  i still would be more careful having a diff size wheel on.   

I went through this pain. I looked a loads of options with steel wheels. Swapping twice a yeah blah blah. Give up and stuck crossclimates on in the end. Great here, great in the alps. Still great in the summer.

1 hour ago, dg360 said:

I went through this pain. I looked a loads of options with steel wheels. Swapping twice a yeah blah blah. Give up and stuck crossclimates on in the end. Great here, great in the alps. Still great in the summer.

Hi glad im not the only one lol.  Can i ask what size wheels u have and what make the tyres u are using? 

Thanks

On 12/07/2018 at 19:02, MattA said:

Although 16inch steel fit with front discs, they do not allow sufficient brake cooling. Hence temporary wheel only with 50 speed restriction. 17s on 312mm is minimum size 

I Ran a mk2 Oct with 312mm brake upgrade on 16” vega and 16” winters.

it was fine on road, on track and even on aurobahn with the Dutch around.

there was no cooling problem that I experienced.

i would love to see your source that it’s too small to cool.

Steels construction do not allow brakes to cool as much as open lighter alloys, so potential less braking efficiency eg. driving 220 /280 hard/laden round mountains. 16s fit fine, although manufacturer states 17 min on 220/280 models ( if go 16s check insurance requirement )

On 13/07/2018 at 01:10, Adrian55555 said:

Hi glad im not the only one lol.  Can i ask what size wheels u have and what make the tyres u are using? 

Thanks

235/45R18. I think I've read that they don't offer Crossclimates on a 19 but that there are similar options such as Goodyear vector

5 minutes ago, dg360 said:

235/45R18. I think I've read that they don't offer Crossclimates on a 19 but that there are similar options such as Goodyear vector

The choice of R19 all-seasons tyres is limited to two (when I looked); Maxxis AP2 and Vredestein Quatrac 5.

I went for the latter and have been very impressed with them.  No real issues in the recent warm weather and definitely no issues fitted to a FWD 150 TDI Sportline during the 'Beast From the East'.  They managed to keep me safe when many drivers were abandoning cars on the A1.  IIRC @Offski had the AP2's and rated them but did have a sidewall defect that may have been a QC issue or just indicative of a design/manufacturing flaw. 

Edited by penguin17

The Maxxis AP2 were good & the damage with the sidewall bulge was 'Driver error' or abuse. Mytyre replaced them though...

Really not something i would us in Summer or hotter weather, other than to go down the 1/4 mile, they hook up rather well.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MattA said:

Steels construction do not allow brakes to cool as much as open lighter alloys, so potential less braking efficiency eg. driving 220 /280 hard/laden round mountains. 16s fit fine, although manufacturer states 17 min on 220/280 models ( if go 16s check insurance requirement )

From what I recall the vega alloy weighed more than the steel.

I just don’t buy you explanation as I never cooked the brakes on the 2.0tdi which is a heavy car.

The disk acts as a heat sink, so yes the more closed style of most steels won’t help but I don’t think road cars are pushing the limits.

I used standard discs, etc redstuff and then own pads.

braking from approx 150 mph down to 60 on the autobahn when “dutched”. 

Track days etc. I would say regularly changing the brake fluid as required as opposed to just leaving it will have a far bigger effect than wheels.

just look at cars with aero wheels, which can still go fast and are very heavy due to the batteries.

sure I admit I ran dot 5.1 fluid, but that’s not that different.

• 2 weeks later...

If go down to 17s o/s between 39-44 fine.. See www.wheel-size.com. If buying chains (Alpine) get 9mm smaller link for clearance. & 6.5jx 17 o/s 41 pref. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thx to everyone for the info. I have found a set of alloys with nokian winter tyres already fitted frok ebay, managed to get them for 550 for the set.  Albeit they are 18s rather than the 17s i was initially looking at. Screenshot_20180806-202527.thumb.jpg.141572796f7c83638cee1faa0b687f00.jpgScreenshot_20180806-202522.thumb.jpg.55c61faa840d73665468fcd010711bee.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Probably already covered but I've a 2017, 2.0 4×4 190 diesel superb combi on 18" rims asked about steel rims at dealer and they said check your spare for size, did this and it's also 18" so now presume that's the smallest I can go. Any ideas? ?.