A6 vs Octavia

Hi all. I have a really amazong offer on a Audi A6 2.0TFSI. How does rear legroom compare in both? That’s one of our criteria but the offer is really tempting. Still a lot but amazing for an Audi.has anyone had one or been in of the Post 2016 models? I’ve sat in both but can’t really remember realistically the difference. 

Thanks in advance. 

I'm not sure this is really a comparison at all. The A6 is a class above, it's longer and it has more legroom. It's a better car in most respects too (as you'd expect for something costing significantly more).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The A6 has been on the go for a while now, so keep that in mind.  I don’t think it being a class above (both in size and perceived badge kudos) make it all out better, which I appreciate wasn’t what was said above.  You’d have to go and have a look for yourself and decide which suits best. For me, I didn’t want and aging architecture and infotainment system, despite A6 lease deals being pretty comparable to the Octavia when I purchased.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

The A6 has been on the go for a while now, so keep that in mind.  I don’t think it being a class above (both in size and perceived badge kudos) make it all out better, which I appreciate wasn’t what was said above.  You’d have to go and have a look for yourself and decide which suits best. For me, I didn’t want and aging architecture and infotainment system, despite A6 lease deals being pretty comparable to the Octavia when I purchased.  

The C7 A6 came out only a year before the MK3 Octavia. Neither are spring chickens now.

Audi generally get tech before Skoda do, so even if it is a C7 A6 I wouldn't say the infotainment and tech is noticeably worse than that in the Octavia. If anything some of it is going to be better, i.e. being able to operate via the MMI rotary knob instead of 

touchscreen. Build quality, refinement, materials etc. all better than those in the Octavia.

I love my Octavia, but if the deal is right, I'd take an A6 over an Octavia. As you said it's what suits you best :)

• Like 1

The A6 is a much larger car and more a compeditor for the Superb.  Rear legroom much better than Octavia BUT if you're taking about the estate version, believe it or not the Octavia has more boot capacity than an A6 Avant.

I prefer to buy my cars with cash and must admit I was very tempted by high spec Passat estate - something like £20500 for a GT which came fully loaded. Never seen any good cash deals on an Audi tho. But I have pointed friends in the direction of A6's because every so often some truely amazing lease deals pop up on particular models. A few years ago my mate ended up with a mid-range A6 which was much less than he was paying for his Avensis.  If memory serves me correct a mid-range A6 was cosing less than a basic A3. Is it one of those leases you've seen?

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

The A6 is a much larger car and more a compeditor for the Superb.  Rear legroom much better than Octavia BUT if you're taking about the estate version, believe it or not the Octavia has more boot capacity than an A6 Avant.

I prefer to buy my cars with cash and must admit I was very tempted by high spec Passat estate - something like £20500 for a GT which came fully loaded. Never seen any good cash deals on an Audi tho. But I have pointed friends in the direction of A6's because every so often some truely amazing lease deals pop up on particular models. A few years ago my mate ended up with a mid-range A6 which was much less than he was paying for his Avensis.  If memory serves me correct a mid-range A6 was cosing less than a basic A3. Is it one of those leases you've seen?

No on PCP at the moment 10-12k off as the new A6 is imminent.  Only stock cars available as production has ended. 

Edited by TonyTonic

Does a PCP vehicle have to be serviced by the manufacturer? 

Certainly, so long as genuine parts are used, a cash or financed car doesn’t, and warranty should (in theory) still be good, although I accept you may lose some dealer goodwill. 

2 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Does a PCP vehicle have to be serviced by the manufacturer? 

Certainly, so long as genuine parts are used, a cash or financed car doesn’t, and warranty should (in theory) still be good, although I accept you may lose some dealer goodwill. 

Not sure but I intend to cancel the pcp deal anyway within the cooling off period - this is just to collect all the incentives and discounts. 

11 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

No on PCP at the moment 10-12k off as the new A6 is imminent.  Only stock cars available as production has ended. 

If the repayments are attractive then go for it, just make sure the deposit isn't OTT.  From a cash buyer's view, £10-£12k off sounds a lot but because the list price is bonkers to begin with, it's not as much as you'd think. Audi also have an issue with lots of optional equipment which losses most if not all it's value come resale so if you intend keeping the car, check the final payment. A6 can work out a great deal tho if you find the right one at a realistic price but it's not a new car I wouldn't want to be the owner of - I'd let someone else take the hit. (already been stung buying an Audi many years ago. Once bitten...  :crying: )

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

If the repayments are attractive then go for it, just make sure the deposit isn't OTT.  From a cash buyer's view, £10-£12k off sounds a lot but because the list price is bonkers to begin with, it's not as much as you'd think. Audi also have an issue with lots of optional equipment which losses most if not all it's value come resale so if you intend keeping the car, check the final payment. A6 can work out a great deal tho if you find the right one at a realistic price.

180£ a month. 14k final payment, 4 years, 10k miles. (i'm putting in 6k plus PX) - basically the car is 29k

Edited by TonyTonic

Just now, Scot5 said:

Sounds OK.  Deposit?

(i'm putting in 6k plus PX) - basically the car is 29k

Deposit is as much as I like, I want to put in as much as possible as I said the PCP isn't important only the actual price of the car as I'm going to pay it off immediately

• Like 1

Can't do much better than an Audi if keeping car long term  (yes there is a big difference between Audi -v- Skoda build quality...  others can discuss on another thread  :giggle: ).  My own rules for buying new car is anything under £2500 a year depreciation makes for a good deal - rarely do these various finance options never seem to touch that.  Of course then you factor in all these things that a true Scotsman can't appreciate such as paying good money just because you like the car.

If that's going thru Audi Finance (preferably with local dealer) then sounds alright.

Audi servicing and maintenance more expensive? Yeh, you're paying for smarter showrooms but as it's your own car you don't need to have it serviced by Audi.  Just get a price from your local Skoda / SEAT / VW dealership  ( VW can sometimes work out cheaper than Skoda or SEAT depending on what needs done) and either have the job done there or ask your Audi dealer to pricematch.

31 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Can't do much better than an Audi if keeping car long term  (yes there is a big difference between Audi -v- Skoda build quality...  others can discuss on another thread  :giggle: ).  My own rules for buying new car is anything under £2500 a year depreciation makes for a good deal - rarely do these various finance options never seem to touch that.  Of course then you factor in all these things that a true Scotsman can't appreciate such as paying good money just because you like the car.

If that's going thru Audi Finance (preferably with local dealer) then sounds alright.

Audi servicing and maintenance more expensive? Yeh, you're paying for smarter showrooms but as it's your own car you don't need to have it serviced by Audi.  Just get a price from your local Skoda / SEAT / VW dealership  ( VW can sometimes work out cheaper than Skoda or SEAT depending on what needs done) and either have the job done there or ask your Audi dealer to pricematch.

Interesting, an Octavia vRS has 10k final payment, Audi has 14k after 4 years. Does that demonstrate anything?

45 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

Interesting, an Octavia vRS has 10k final payment, Audi has 14k after 4 years. Does that demonstrate anything?

Unless the deposit, monthly payment, duration of agreement, and interest rate are all the same, then no it doesn't.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

Just received a quote for £2000 to insure this car haha. Might not buy it after all, ridiculous, I pay £280 on the curent car.

How much do you guys pay for the vRS Octavias?

7 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

Just received a quote for £2000 to insure this car haha. Might not buy it after all, ridiculous, I pay £280 on the curent car.

I might have missed this above but what engine/trim is the A6?  Actually for £2k I'd expect the A6 to actually be an S6! 

8 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

£194 for me this year. No accidents for me, one fault accident for my wife. Both 31. 

3 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I might have missed this above but what engine/trim is the A6?  Actually for £2k I'd expect the A6 to actually be an S6! 

2.0 TFSI S line, 252bhp

2 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

Got some online quotes for £650 now but driving abroad not covered which is 'vital' for us anyway/

Have you tried a broker?  I contacted Chris Knott as a forum partner and got a much better quote than any of the online comparison tools.  I ended up with a policy from Highway who are part of LV.  Their policy was cheaper than the LV quote I had.