Stock vs Factory order?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new Kodiaq. I provided my local dealer with the specification I wanted including options and he's provided a quote based on that. 

As I understand it the current lead time for a factory build is about 17 / 18 weeks which puts delivery around Mid-November.

So... being impatient I am toying with the idea of buying one of the cars which is already in stock as long as the spec of the stock car is close to what I am looking for. I do have some show-stopper options I really want but I am prepared to be flexible with the other options on the list (Pan roof being a show stopper for example).

I've been told that discounts would be more readily available on stock cars as the dealers have these on credit and therefore need to move these as quickly as possible but I'd appreciate others views on this.

many thanks

rob

I took a stock car with very near specs and had options retro fitted by dealer (reverse camera, front sensors, tow bar).  Discounts and delivery were better but retro fitting does have compromises (front parking sensors button not in factory fitted position, no visual display) but I was happy as saving time and money.

As a not very slight aside, don’t use the same logic when looking at getting a stock Jaguar F-Type upgraded by a dealer as each car has a bespoke main wiring harness, so adding a rear camera etc is out of the question.

Well I'm thinking if I can get a stock car, and it's close to the spec I want, and the price is right then why not? 

I have also heard that there is a need for my dealer to shift stock before the end of august and that there is at least another £1700 to be had due to a diesel rebate (?)

The new WLTP regulations mean that Skoda have to register (not sure about having to sell?) all non-compliant cars, so yes, you should be able to secure a good deal.

The issue I had was that pre-built choices were limited, meaning too many sacrifices needed to be made on my 'ideal' car, so I had to go factory order.

As long as the car is brand new and you pay for it using Skoda Finance you should still qualify for the current offers...

4.9% APR

£2,000 deposit contribution

2 free services

£1,000 test drive incentive (withdrawn for Q3)

oh so i've missed out on the £1K test drive incentive huh... damn.

I'm working out my options list in priority order so if I can get the main ones on a stock car in the right colour for a reasonable price then happy days.

incidentally. for those who have gone down the stock route, how long did it take to actually get the car?

Stock delivery varies, if it’s dealer stock, it can be come back later today. If it’s in the dock in UK two to three weeks is about the norm. If it’s still in Germany in Emden six weeks. Last I heard factory stock was very low.

Ask the dealer for the current stock list and share here!

You'll do well to find a petrol now, they were hard to come by a few months ago. Should be plenty of diesels though.

@silver1011 - will the dealer actually let me see the stock list? If so great as I can then look through it and pick the closest one to the spec I want and then beat him down on the price :)

Our Kodiaq was stock and took 4 weeks to come from the port in Germany to being delivered to our door. The carpet mats however took 2 months to appear!! I did try to track the order over the phone with Skoda UK customer services as to not bother the dealer with my impatience, but they said its not possible with a stock order. However I had also contacted Skoda UK CS via the portal on the Skoda UK website and got an email reply later the same day saying my Kodiaq had just landed in port in the UK. Only thing we wanted extra was a space saver spare but the stock car had this fitted already, it also came with door sill protectors on all four doors (don't think this is standard on SEL?) but they didn't charge me for this or the mats or the family pack (coat hanger, tablet holder, hook and bin)!

Edited by atki81

7 hours ago, robdav said:

@silver1011 - will the dealer actually let me see the stock list? If so great as I can then look through it and pick the closest one to the spec I want and then beat him down on the price :)

It varies by dealer. The list they see on their computer is printable.

The problem is are that those cars on that list are available to all dealers, so once you have a hardcopy you are free to take your time perusing the stock and approaching other dealers asking for pricing.

Your dealer might not want you to do this for obvious reasons so will tell you he can't give you the list. He's lying.

I can appreciate their point of view, but I got the list when just before we bought our previous car (Skoda Octavia Scout) and it meant I could take it home and sit down with the wife to choose which colour and spec etc. we wanted, without having to do it in 30 seconds in front of an impatient salesman.

The most common regret I read on here is from people not specifying certain options they wish they had, so for the sake of asking for the list it's worth it.

@silver1011 - thanks pal.

I now have a priority list of options and a couple of choices on the power front. I am happy to drop some of the lesser options but I am not prepared to loose the pan roof :)

I'm still not 100% sure about going back to petrol though as I currently drive a Octy vRS TDI and i love the way that drives. 

• Like 1

I suspect that deals may be more readily available on Dealer stock rather than central factory stock so may be worth checking more than 1 dealer/group.

I bought a car from dealer stock and they let us go and have a look at it in the yard round the back, still in all it's transport wrapping. Did the deal on the Tuesday, collected on the following Sunday.

The benefit of buying stock are obvious if you are very price conscious. If you are not, a £1000-1500 saving isn't worth missing out on ordering options that will make car perfect for you. 

Sometimes the ownership experience between the same car but with different engine and options can be night and day. 

Further more the cost of changing car is extremely high due to poor trade in values and thus its sometimes better to buy what you really want then risk temptations of trading in after 2-3 years. 

My other half and I have agreed that we'll take our time and factory order our Karoq. 

Good things come to those who wait.

Edited by Crassus

..... and that's pretty much where we have got to as well. Although there is a temptation to just get something now, we have spent a lot of time researching the options and now we have a list which ticks every box. 

Anyway thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I'm off to the dealer this morning to put an order in. I'll provide lead times etc later. 

Worth the wait especially on the Kodiaq I'd say. They are family SUVs but deserve to be tailored to each individual family. Don't think skoda were expecting such demand for them hence the lead times for them. Plus with the fiasco with new engines and the new EU regulations hasn't helped that either. 

The most gutting thing for me about not being even more paintent is that a vRS model is on the way haha 

5 hours ago, robdav said:

In stock : un-registered Scout 150 4x4 TDI DSG in Quartz Grey with all of the options we wanted plus the standard SEL to Scout additions.  Test drove the 190 and the 150 back to back and to be fair in real world driving there wasn't a lot of difference between the two. If anything to me the 150 was smoother.

Sweet. Nothing beats getting the car you want without having to wait for a 3-4 month factory build.

The longest I ever had to wait for a car was 6 months from order to delivery. Was a Ford Focus company car and it wasn't worth the wait!

Even this morning I was convinced I would be putting in a factory order until our dealer said he had something in stock that might interest us :)

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same dilemma, I wanted an Edition TDi 150 DSG 7 seat with front sensors and rear camera and I was quoted between 12 and 20 weeks for a factory build.  We currently have a leased Seat Alhambra which is in an informal extension period and is costing a fortune, so I decided to go with a car from stock.  It's an SE L 190 DSG 4x4 but has leather so not far off Edition spec.  Looking forward to it arriving next week!

28 minutes ago, robk999 said:

I had the same dilemma, I wanted an Edition TDi 150 DSG 7 seat with front sensors and rear camera and I was quoted between 12 and 20 weeks for a factory build.  We currently have a leased Seat Alhambra which is in an informal extension period and is costing a fortune, so I decided to go with a car from stock.  It's an SE L 190 DSG 4x4 but has leather so not far off Edition spec.  Looking forward to it arriving next week!

Retrofitting front sensors and reversing camera only  cost marginally more than from factory.

1 minute ago, Crassus said:

Retrofitting front sensors and reversing camera only  cost marginally more than from factory.

Thanks, I read in another thread that the retrofit front sensors aren't quite like the factory fit ones though?  Would the camera be the same?