Here comes the expensive stuff...

Recently my 5 year old Fabby Greenline II had the Coolant Light ping up and the Maxi-Dot warn me about Coolant Levels, it's happened twice about 4 months apart, and I topped up (to the line) each time (about 700ml total)

I contacted my local dealership, and it was booked in for 'Investigation'. So I dropped her off yesterday (and drove off in a nice new Fabby 3 with Bluetooth and all the toys) Got a phone call later that day, telling me after pressure testing the system (whilst they did me MOT which was due this coming Friday) that it looks like the Water Pump is knackered... and as it's driven by the Timing belt (which needs replacing after 5 years) they'd do both for me, at the princely sum of... £489 (incl VAT, Parts and Labour) I nearly fell on the floor at that point, he then reminded me the Investigation Charge of £51 and the £10 Courtesy Car (insurance) would go on top, and the MOT Fee of £69 would bring everything to £589

I love my car! (though after having this New Fabby with Bluetooth, I'd love to add it somehow) but it's costing me a fortune recently... I had the Front tyres done last month at £140 the pair!! plus the MOT gave me 2 advisories (Rear tyres and Rear brakes) but they'll last a little longer!!

Still bombing round in the New Fabby 3 at the mo, whilst my baby is made better...

it's amazing the wear and tear 95,000miles will cost!!

What sort of Expenses have you guys had?? anything so expensive you've nearly had second thoughts??

So was this a Skoda Dealership,  a Participating Dealership with the Max Prices, cheaper might be offered type thing?

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

What happened to the £39 MOT offer, are they taking it someplace else to be done?  Charging to drive it there?

UK MOT cost is £54.85 max as the Government say.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Iirc skoda dealers charge £39 for an MOT and nothing for a courtesy car. The maximum fee allowed in law for an MOT is £54.85

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

Also its normal practice to 100% discount the investigation charge if you go ahead with repair

Report them to DVSA, trading standards and Skoda UK

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Don't think there is anything that says they MUST take the investigative price off the work if they carry out said work! Just nice gesture... Also, the MOT may have had work done to pass. I think you may be jumping to conclusions Xman.

BTW, the water pump and belt are considered service items. No different to any marque that has belts rather then chains. Expensive but normal!

Edited by mrgf

Yes there is,  or was,

wiggle of a wire to a handbrake switch, stick in a bulb, or has that all gone now with the latest MOT changes?

PRS

(pass with rectification at station.) 

Fill an empty washer bottle, stick in a bulb, adjust the headlight aim if simple.

Obviously not all will do, there are some rectums about.

Edited by Offski

The rules are strict,  if a bulb is out its a recorded fail. Then they repair. Then retest (partial or full). The mot charge must be shown as a separate item from any other work and NO vat.

PRS http://www.ukmot.com/garages/Testers-FAQs.asp?FAQ1=2

Official Skoda dealers should not charge more £39 for an MOT. Investigation charges have always been waived if the recommended work is carried out, and that's Skoda policy according to my service manager as I recall discussing on many occasions.

Edited by xman

I use my local F1 autocentres at usually £22 with voucher and cashback. Only failed once out of several MOTs, justified and then repair done at very reasonable cost. But I know the guys pretty well and they know me well enough not to try anything on.

I look after 4 skoda cars now and my skoda dealer used to keep finding "rough" wheel bearings at each MOT at over £250+ a shot and advisories that change year to year without work such as worn out pads that suddenly grow fat again. That's why I never use them anymore for MOTs.

Edited by xman

...Looking at the OP's original prices, his MOT may well have been £39 as if you add up his figures, they don't add up! £39 for the MOT will but £69 won't, though. It comes to £30 over his figure!

Your Skoda service manager may be quoting his policy but it may not be nationwide! I asked my local branch about the £99 brake fluid and a/c re-gas but they said they don't participate as their overheads are too high, in London!!! Policy has a tendency to alter, depending on circumstance!

• Thanks 1

He did ask if I wanted the two rear tyres (at £62 each) and rear brakes (£220) both advisories on the MOT, to be done at the same time!

The tyres are at 4mm each and the brakes will do another couple of 1000 miles easy (this from a Tyre and Brake place I trust) so only the £590 paid yesterday... Thank god it's Payday next week!!

Yeah! it was £39 for the MOT (fat fingers on my keyboard) :D