White marks on nut covers

solarfusion

Sounds painful I know :biggrin:

"Treated" myself to having a car wash today but slightly regretting it now. Whatever they used to clean the alloys has left white marks on the plastic wheel nut covers.

Anyone experienced this before or any idea how to clean them up?

DSC_3992.JPG

Yep it’s not coming off so reckon they must have used an acid based alloy cleaner that’s reacted with the plastic. 

Fleabay have some non-genuine ones for a couple of quid so might give them a go.

If it was one of the "hand car wash" places with teams of guys/ladies ready to clean your car, I would avoid at all costs.

Some of the chemicals used are very strong, possibly industrial cleaners etc and doubt if mixed at the correct rates either IMO.

I know of a couple people that have had alloys that have corroded from using these. Not saying all are the same but I personally stay well clear.

If it was a proper wash down facility, I would go back and show them the damage as they may well not be aware of the situation.

27 minutes ago, solarfusion said:

Yep it’s not coming off so reckon they must have used an acid based alloy cleaner that’s reacted with the plastic. 

Fleabay have some non-genuine ones for a couple of quid so might give them a go.

OEM ones are only cheap

14 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

If it was one of the "hand car wash" places with teams of guys/ladies ready to clean your car, I would avoid at all costs.

Some of the chemicals used are very strong, possibly industrial cleaners etc and doubt if mixed at the correct rates either IMO.

Indeed it was. Won’t bother again. Not particularly keen on whatever they cleaned the inside of the car with as left the pedals slippery. Will stick to washing it myself in future I think!

• Like 2

I had that once, almost all of the nut covers were covered in the milky hue. Used a hard scouring but plastic thingy from under the sink. Plenty of Jiff, sorry Ciff and it got rid of the marks. That was nearly six years ago. Been no problem since.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MarcusKaroq said:

I wont let a dealer clean my car now, put a sign in the window saying please don’t wash me and let the service people know. 

That's no guarantee either. Both my dealerships know I don't allow them to wash my car and have it on their system. 

One of them still cleaned my car. 

Before the work was carried out. 

And used a brush. 

7 hours ago, Fin69 said:

That's no guarantee either. Both my dealerships know I don't allow them to wash my car and have it on their system. 

One of them still cleaned my car. 

Before the work was carried out. 

And used a brush. 

I would be getting them to do paint correction for their **** up. 

1 hour ago, MarcusKaroq said:

I would be getting them to do paint correction for their **** up. 

Ah, that is an entire thread in itself. Let's just say they thought having the vehicle 'valeted' would resolve this issue. 

11 hours ago, Fin69 said:

Ah, that is an entire thread in itself. Let's just say they thought having the vehicle 'valeted' would resolve this issue. 

Oh dear, clueless by the sounds of it. Get the work done and invoice them lol :evilgrin:.