Karoq edition tsi 1.5 is withdrawn from sale? Is this true if so why?

Rjaygee

I’ve just heard from a contact in a dealer that the Karoq edition 1.5 tsi has been withdrawn from sale. IF it’s true anyone know why, and as a new owner should I be concerned.

You dont have to be concerned about your car or there being a product fault reason for this. The Karoq Edition is based on the factory "Style" trim level to which Skoda UK added some choice options to create a UK market "Edition".  The concern will probably be felt by those who wanted an Edition spec at the price point it was offered and now cant get one.

The 1.5 TSi will still be available - just not in Edition trim.   You could take an SE L and spec it up to be identical to an Edition level but the price would be higher. 

With all the model changes and WLTP testing going on in response to the September deadline, we just have to wait and see what will happen to the model and trim lineups. (e.g. maybe there is a 2.0 TSi L&K on the way and they don't want the Edition competing against those sales). 

At a recent visit to my dealer I enquirer about the 1.5 TSI and was told that the demand was high and delivery much longer than other models. So they've possibly suspended deliveries until they catch up with  outstanding orders.

Fred 

Hi Fred, I was told that even orders they have and deposits paid have been cancelled as it is not being offered full stop. I think  TheRobink maybe nearer the truth, I hope. Has anyone had an order cancelled, if so what reason was offered?

What a shame Sales Executives working 6 days a week in Skoda UK Dealerships can not just be clear in explaining to potential customers what is going on.

What a shame Skoda UK the Importers can not explain clearly.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/451221-no-more-15-tsi-edition 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/453560-15tsi-edition-demonstrator-for-sale 

I placed an order for a 1.5 TSI DSG Edition at the end of May only to have the order cancelled a week later as Skoda were discontinuing the 1.5 TSI Edition which is in 2 wheel drive configuration. Skoda are planning to introduce a 1.5 TSI Edition in 4 wheel drive configuration with production being slated for Nov/Dec but dealer said that this had not yet been confirmed by Skoda or the factory. I was lucky as dealership had an unregistered delivery mileage 1.5 TSI DSG Edition in stock for immediate delivery so managed to secure that before it went.

Thanks for info Tonytonic, I missed that, pity Skoda customer services were not aware of it, or the dealers. I wonder how much the L&K version will be, and what they will add as improvements?

2 minutes ago, Rjaygee said:

Thanks for info Tonytonic, I missed that, pity Skoda customer services were not aware of it, or the dealers. I wonder how much the L&K version will be, and what they will add as improvements?

FUll leather, all the assistance systems, panoroof, DCC, 190bhp engine option etc all as standard. It won’t be cheap though. Probably 33k

1 hour ago, TonyTonic said:

FUll leather, all the assistance systems, panoroof, DCC, 190bhp engine option etc all as standard. It won’t be cheap though. Probably 33k

Probably more than £33K as to spec up a SEL 1.5 DSG with most of the extras that the edition had worked out to around £32K versus the Edition price of around at £29K and if I understand it correctly the 1.5 DSG Edition (possibly) would be 4x4 which would increase the price quite a bit. My 1.5 Edition DSG order was cancelled and due to lack of information on MY19 specs and models I have today signed up a lease deal on a Volvo XC60 T5 Momentum AWD Auto which is being built to order for delivery in January, leasing cost for this is cheaper than the original Edition quote and bearing in mind the Volvo has a retail price just under £40K  it's a no brainer for me.

Skoda announcing what they will show at a show is lovely.

Great giving something to look forward to in 2019, maybe, sometime and at what ever prices.

Getting the Skoda UK website showing the new cars that people can order now with the WLTP figures, price and spec would be 'Simply Clever'.

26 minutes ago, Raymondo111 said:

Probably more than £33K as to spec up a SEL 1.5 DSG with most of the extras that the edition had worked out to around £32K versus the Edition price of around at £29K and if I understand it correctly the 1.5 DSG Edition (possibly) would be 4x4 which would increase the price quite a bit. My 1.5 Edition DSG order was cancelled and due to lack of information on MY19 specs and models I have today signed up a lease deal on a Volvo XC60 T5 Momentum AWD Auto which is being built to order for delivery in January, leasing cost for this is cheaper than the original Edition quote and bearing in mind the Volvo has a retail price just under £40K  it's a no brainer for me.

sounds good, do you have a link or where I can look at this leasing deal?

23 minutes ago, Offski said:

Skoda announcing what they will show at a show is lovely.

Great giving something to look forward to in 2019, maybe, sometime and at what ever prices.

Getting the Skoda UK website showing the new cars that people can order now with the WLTP figures, price and spec would be 'Simply Clever'.

you can order cars regardless of the Skoda configurator, the configurator is just a tool anyway not to be taken seriously for the actual spec you are going to get it's just a visualiser really, you need to speak to a dealer for the correct orders.

Edited by TonyTonic

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

I know that.  So have they been able to tell you the WLTP figures.   Have you ordered one?

No I haven't , I am not going to. I am aware that they can't tell you the delivery date etc...

For me not an issue , I can wait, we have a car that we own and can change at any time.

I understand for others on leases and PCP deal timing is important

Why are WLTP figures important? I don't give a toss, as long as the car is less than 40k I pay £140 a year tax.

Edited by TonyTonic

1 hour ago, TonyTonic said:

sounds good, do you have a link or where I can look at this leasing deal?

Whatcar leasing is the best option as it's all main dealers and no brokers fees, there are a number of dealers doing deals at the moment, I got a quote, had a test drive at a local dealership and asked them if they could match the deal and they got within a fiver per month. Basically if you want a new car every 2 years or so and don't do high mileage leasing works out quite well as VED is included for the duration of the lease, the Momentum is the lowest spec but comes with leather, front and rear sensors, sat nav plus other safety features. At the moment Metallic paint is free and the only options I have gone for are a rear camera and spare wheel, engine is 2.0 litre petrol turbo with 250 BHP with AWD and 8 speed auto so very relaxing to drive.

On the subject of WTLP Volvo seem to have it sorted as the MY19 Brochure and Pricelist seem to be up todate and as it's a lease car the lease company covers the VED but of course it's built into the lease 

Edited by Raymondo111
spelling

All the 2018 spec cars have been withdrawn and I has a 1.0 DSG SE on order but have had to re-order. From what I can gather the only changes in the SE and SEL specs are the ice scraper has a tread measure in it and the doors have 3 stop points on opening. Obviously vital changes that made everything ground to a halt. More seriously I seem to recall I had to sign an extra form accepting that the fuel consumption figures could be different to those shown or something like that. I wonder if this is why there was this hiatus.

Having been down this road after deciding to go for an Edition 1.5 tsi plus a host of options, then being treated like a ping-pong ball in a game I could not win by the dealer and Skoda UK, Can get an Edition, can’t get an Edition maybe will make an L&K, maybe not. I have made the decision to jump ship to Mazda. This is after being a loyal Skoda owner since the days of the Favorit.

The Mazda CX-5 gives me everything that the Skoda would plus its miles easier to spec up thanks to Mazda’s no nonsense approach. The one thing that really sold me was the quality of the leather. It has long been know that the Skoda leather is not the best but Mazda use full thickness hides and it shows.

So the choice is SE-L Nav+ (entry level about the same spec as the Karoq SE-L, or Sport Nav+ (similar the the Edition, except the Mazda has pretty much all the Edition options already included)

Therefore

1)     select either SE-L Nav+ or Sport Nav+

2)     select engine and transmission

3)     select colour

4)     select interior colour

The only available extra option is the additional Safety Pack

Job done, delivery in eight to ten weeks.

Because Mazda do not have such a ridiculous list of infinitely variable options, having already packaged these into two model variations the need for long waiting lists for bespoke vehicles goes away. They can therefore concentrate on a pretty standardised production run so anything you may want is already rolling down the production line somewhere....and the price in line with what the Karoq would have cost.

Sorry Skoda, but you have lost the plot. Buying a new car should be a pleasure not a chore.

21 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

How does Mazda's auto gearbox compare to VW DSG?

Its a conventional torque converter box and is as smooth as glass. It still has "flappy" paddles on the steering wheel and manual changes by the lever if you so desire. My old Superb (six speed DSG) was an excellent box as well. I think it was better than the seven speed they fitted to some Superb models.

The main reason why Skoda removed this engine from configurator temporarily is a fact that there's missing new homologation for it.  Starting CW 31 they started producing MR2019 models which needs to be homologated according to new WLTP methodology for emissions and consumption. They already had issues with production capacity for this engine (customers waiting  6-12 months depending on the trim combination), with missing homolgation the issues will be even worse. They are producing cars right now in the factory, but they can't deliver them to clients without new homologation. Skoda has rented former military airbase in Milovice in CZ for storing produced cars until they are homologated and can be delivered. They expect they'll need to store cca. 250 thousand cars! 

I've ordered mine in January and was lucky it was produced in mid June before factory shutdown.

1 hour ago, Swordfish76CZ said:

The main reason why Skoda removed this engine from configurator temporarily is a fact that there's missing new homologation for it.  Starting CW 31 they started producing MR2019 models which needs to be homologated according to new WLTP methodology for emissions and consumption. They already had issues with production capacity for this engine (customers waiting  6-12 months depending on the trim combination), with missing homolgation the issues will be even worse. They are producing cars right now in the factory, but they can't deliver them to clients without new homologation. Skoda has rented former military airbase in Milovice in CZ for storing produced cars until they are homologated and can be delivered. They expect they'll need to store cca. 250 thousand cars! 

I've ordered mine in January and was lucky it was produced in mid June before factory shutdown.

This is what I was told in late July:

The 1.5 TSI Edition model will not be produced due to the weight of the vehicle with it having a sunroof. The car will be produced in diesel derivative or SE L model.

This came from the Business Development Manager at a large Skoda dealership!!

@Raymondo111  - Partially true, sunroof and other accessories (e.g. wheels) have impact on car weight. With new homologation rules (WLTP emission measurement cycle + RDE consumption measuring) car makers now must newly homologate every possible combinations (engines + gearbox+wheel size+FWD/AWD+accessories+manual/auto AC etc.) before Sept 2018, otherwise the car can't be sold to customers.  Also the new measurement cycles take much longer and they are more complex than old NEDC cycles. EU parliament approved the new rules just 15 months ago. Almost all car makers were waiting if it really will be approved with proposed effective dates (as of Sept-18), that is why they did not start working on new homologations before afraid of wasting time and money (they hoped it will not be approved or at least approved with later effective dates). When EU parliament approved the strict change effective dates suddenly all car makers wanted to start re-homologations for all car types at the same time, but there's no capacity in labs for it in Europe. 

As a result of all of this 1.5 TSi engine is temporarily not available for Karoq. They need to finish new homologations for all variants first and then they will add it back to configurator (expected mid Sept). Other main reasons for long delivery times is combinations of 1.5 TSi engine with digital instrument panel and Alcantara seats. Customers are waiting about 1 year for such cars. Alcantara is not available on market due to high demand. Therefore Skoda will be using competitor's product Suedia from MR2019 for Karoq and other models. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2018 at 14:53, Raymondo111 said:

Can you point me to where you got your XC60 please? I am now considering one as I can't wait anymore on Skoda. I like the XC60 T5 momentum as well