VW Dieselgate

Timoctav

Hi, not been around here for some time, after I part exchanged our Octavia Elegance 2.0TDI in March 2016 for a Volvo V40 D4 - and what a big mistake that was, the Volvo was the most trouble prone and unreliable car I have ever owned. The dealer gave excellent after sales service, unlike the abysmal shocking treatment I received from Sparshatts Skoda Botley Southampton. Now thankfully gone and I’m back in the VW fold with a Golf GTI (well it’s almost a Skoda)! Anyway I digress.

On FB and elsewhere the “no cure no fee” lawyers are springing up claiming that owners of VW diesel cars are going for a class action against VW Group for the “dieselgate” saga. Anyone here signed up for this?

apologies if this has been previously discussed here!

Thanks!

Any springing up now are pretty late to the party as it is getting on for a couple of years since the first ones started on the band wagon and appear to be going no place.

It is discussed on various sections of Briskoda and has been for a couple of years.

Unless you owned a car affected by the SW update then I guess theres nothing in it anyway.

The 2L TDI was not affected by the software update.

Perhaps you could argue that diesel used prices have gone down since but this is the same for any diesel cars because of the exaggerated media reaction & knee-jerk reaction for the goverment seeking to gain from following the public "outcry".

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Timoctav said:

unlike the abysmal shocking treatment I received from Sparshatts Skoda Botley Southampton.

You too?

I had the same experience with their servicing team denying updates existed and claiming I couldn't access the online service record due to confidentiality issues!

Now we've moved to Devon it's amazing how much better the customer care is from Marshalls in Barnstaple compared to the farce that is Sparshatts at Botley.

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

You too?

I had the same experience with their servicing team denying updates existed and claiming I couldn't access the online service record due to confidentiality issues!

Now we've moved to Devon it's amazing how much better the customer care is from Marshalls in Barnstaple compared to the farce that is Sparshatts at Botley.

Yes i’ve heard from others too that have received poor after sales from Sparsh1tts. Wish i’d purchased my Skoda from Meadens now, whom I have only heard good reports about, at the time I was commuting daily from Southampton to Portsmouth and they were more convenient. It’s a shame how poor treatment from a dealer can put one off an otherwise great brand. The Volvo was the opposite experience crappy unreliable car but excellent dealer. 

Remains to to be seen how I find Peter Cooper VW after sales with the Golf!

Edited by Timoctav

Anyone else find it funny, that we are still talking about VW Dieselgate, yet every week you hear about another manufacturer being caught, and there are no class action lawsuits going against them??? Its always VW. 

• Like 1

I think the main reason for this is where the affected vehicles are being sold.

EU & Asia emissions régulations are very vague & narrow to a specific test cycle whereas the US emissions régulations are very demanding & are defined applicable at all times.

VW specifically added SW to cheat the american emissions tests & left this same functionality in some european models, hence the complaints to VW from Europe.

In Europe is a different matter & its easy enough to "achieve" the emissions régulations whilst giving better fuel economy to the Customer in the real-world without special cheat software.

Whilst I think you will find that most vehicles sold in Europe dont have the same emissions in "real world" driving compared with the old EU emissions test cycle & might agree that this is ethically wrong for the company, they havent really broken any EU laws so its difficult to procecute them.

They are removing software / engine management from millions of vehicles in Europe and Globally Voluntarily because they had Defeat Devices in the Engine Manuagement which they say was not illegal yet they are still removing it for millions of vehicles.

It was illegal and they admitted in some world regions to it being illegal, so illegal it will have been to be present when the EU Type Approval was given.

As to their guarantees of removing it and no adverse affects, the German Authorities and others, and especially the UK DVLA / DfT, Chris Grayling MP, Michael Grove MP and Philip Hammond MP seem to be behaving just as VW Group like.  No Action other than pay a million and a bit towards testing and mis-lead Parliament, lie to a Transport Select Committee and carry on as they were.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Unless you owned a car affected by the SW update then I guess theres nothing in it anyway.

The 2L TDI was not affected by the software update.

The EA189 Euro 5 diesel 1.6 and 2.0 was implicated in the cheat scandal and was fitted to the Mk2 Octavia.

The EA189 is not fitted to the Mk3 Octavia.

Lee

Edited by logiclee