Citigo Electric

Ronn

I had seen this, but thought it was maybe a mistake. Seems odd that 3-phase is needed to get 7.2Kw. With such little difference between the 3-pin and wallbox, its really not worth the cost of a wallbox installation.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

With such little difference between the 3-pin and wallbox, its really not worth the cost of a wallbox installation.

I agree and am now glad I didn't go to the expense. Besides, I'm getting along just fine with a weekly 2.3Kw overnight charge and occasional free top-up at the supermarket.

• Like 1

If going home charger to home charger then you might not carry 2 cables.

You might carry one if you do charge away from home and know how you do charge.  So obviously it is what one uses the car for and where and when.

Motoring Journalists should maybe plug cars they review into a Home Charging point they have or someone else has and see if the 'Media Packs' they read are correct or misleading.

See the bottom video. 

(That is a EV Owner and Driver that reviews cars and takes them on long trips so knows about actual charging EV's.)

Edited by e-Roottoot

Is anybody surprised that VW has scrapped the idea of continuing production of the e-Citigo with a washing machine motor in it?

Skoda had a perfectly good 3 cyl 1 litre Petrol engine in the Citigo, then some clown in the VW boardroom decided to put an Electric Motor in a Car with all the style of a House Brick.

It just hasn't got enough appeal to sell in big volumes.

The Citigo looks like a Bread Van & only appeals to old fart pensioners who reside in God's waiting room.

No self respecting individual under the age of 50 would ever buy one.

I understand the e-Citigo has only sold 400 units in UK since it's launch last Dec.

Looks like going the same way as the Sinclair C5.

• Groan 1

IMO, this is simply an instruction from Skoda's Volkswagen paymasters. The CITIGO e iV is sold for a price that makes barely a profit, while the e-Up and Mii Electric carry a premium that just about makes them viable.

There's never much money to be made from small cars. Manufacturers use them as a 'gateway drug' into the brand, in the hope that drivers will eventually replace them with something bigger, better and more profitable.

I count myself very fortunate to have been able to buy mine when I did, as it's easily the best purchasing decision I ever made. There's no way I'd ever go back to owning a petrol car now. Hopefully, in ten years (which is when I'd be looking to replace this one) the EV market will have matured to allow a lot more choice and (dare I say it) affordability. 

Is there an announcement to the demise of the Citigo iV and not just the suspension of the production.  VW have to get the average Co2 down in their range as and Skoda have less of a rush to as their total productions and registrations are so much lower.   Are productions of e-UP!s being ramped up or also stopping?

@Ronn. Those under 50 already with an Electric Up!, Mii or Citigo likely have an opinion on if you deserve respect.  Selling or first registering the 400 Citigo iV,s that came into the UK and taking no orders while there is plenty of demand is what happened.  Only 400 imported, not only a demand for 400 and people not wanting them.   You should be a spin doctor or politician that separates fact and promotes fake news.

So Skoda are going to be trying to get enough sales of 1.0tsi DSG mild hybrids and also 1.5 TSI,s and the plug in,s so no need to flog the cheapest of the 3 sister small EV,s leaving VW to.   That will be the actuality and the words someone working for Skoda / VW will not utter.

• Thanks 1

So thats the end of the Citigo altogether then. It first appeared in 2012 so I suppose its reached the end of its lifespan by car model change standards. Pity they never bothered putting the TSI engine in it like they did with the UP.

• Like 2

Really disappointed with this news. I have spent time watching the reviews and seriously considering a Citgo-e for my wife as a local run around. As noted by some a business led choice that does not reflect the demand for the vehicle.

What a waste of time and effort for those involved in the car.

I guess Kia are the ones to take seriously...

Will have to wait to find a decent candidate.

• Like 2

Well, it isn't the end is it?

Don't forget the Citigo is just a Badge engineered VW Up & Seat Mi.

The public have been conned over the years to believe that VW Up is better screwed together than Skoda Citigo.

In fact they are made on the same production line in 'Skoda-land' 😊

Just s few cosmetic differences identify the cars apart.

They will continue making the badged VW eUp & Electric Seat Mi (I'm led to believe) because VW sell them at an inflated price over the Citigo to get a better financial return for themselves.

So, if you're really keen to buy the Electric version of the 'Bread Van' just dig deeper into your Bank Account and buy the Electric Up or Electric Mi.

That way you keep 'the little woman' happy and you swell VW profits even more. 

Happy motoring!

The decision by Skoda does not make me inclined to spend more money with VW, KIA is the new Skoda and likely to get my money in future once I decide to change the Karoq.

The wife's SEAT Leon will do until a sensible priced electric car with a reasonable range presents itself.

I'm keeping an eye on Roots posts and others as electric seems to be gaining ground for those that can overnight charge. A friend has just bought a Tesla and he isn't one of the green brigade. Far from it and he is converted and espousing the cheap running costs and looking at solar panels.

@MJ1 I am sitting for 40 minutes charging now at a free charger for a near 200 mile day in the Cairngorms. I did 300 miles yesterday and charged twice for 30 minutes a time.  It does mean a change of thought from using petrol or diesel but by the time I plug in check in on 2 apps that I am charging, read some posts here, maybe post some it is time to head on.  I have done nearly 3,000 miles of EV driving since the 10th August and paid under £12 for electricity bought.  Taking advantage of the lovely weather and pretty empty roads early on and in the evenings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Root, these real life insights from actual users are great and very useful for me, and I guess others.

People don't like change but the world is constantly changing and people have to evolve and adapt. Electric cars are coming and we need to get used to the change of use...

9 hours ago, MJ1 said:

A friend has just bought a Tesla and he isn't one of the green brigade. Far from it and he is converted and espousing the cheap running costs and looking at solar panels.

That (very profitable) option has now sailed so if he does go down the solar panel route he will be officially joining the green brigade.

@Ronn

Just being nosy but how much petrol do you actually buy, so in other words how much driving do you do in a year?

You drive a Citigo so how much more engaging in your petrol Bread van really compared to an electric Breadvan?

Wolverhampton must be a great base for getting out & onto some wonderful driving roads that are lesser known on the list of the great routes in the UK.

Edited by e-Roottoot