Octavia SatNavs

Evening all,

I recently had given thought to trading in my 2015/64 Octavia Hatch for a newer one but couldn't quite get as much of a trade-in value as I had hoped. The decision was made easier, however, when a mate of mine wishing to replace his 2001/51 Audi offered me a decent sum - higher than I had been offered previously by a dealer - for my 64 plate Octy (around 24,600 miles on the clock) to which I agreed and he has paid me for although he knows that I will be using it until I pick up its replacement. On Saturday 11th August I went to a dealership and left having put a £500 deposit on a reasonably priced 2017/67 Octavia Hatchback which I will pick up in the next few days.

The car I am getting is one of the facelift models and, among other things, it also comes with a SatNav on the radio. I have used those radio units as we have a couple of '67' Skoda Superbs where I work. I am hoping that someone on the forum can tell me one thing. I presume that updates to the satnav maps get released once in a while so when they are released how do I go about getting the update (which, I hope, would be available for little or no cost)?

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by DaveHarries

The updates are usually posted here on the forum a good while earlier than the rather useless (and really dodgy looking) update portal. The 2018/19 maps were released on the update portal a few weeks ago. I’ve been running it since June thanks to a link from this forum. All you need is a computer with an SD slot and the SD card from the nav unit. Be aware if you have the Amundsen stereo you can only use the genuine Skoda card.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

The updates are usually posted here on the forum a good while earlier than the rather useless (and really dodgy looking) update portal. The 2018/19 maps were released on the update portal a few weeks ago. I’ve been running it since June thanks to a link from this forum. All you need is a computer with an SD slot and the SD card from the nav unit. Be aware if you have the Amundsen stereo you can only use the genuine Skoda card.

Also, best to use a PC as ppl have run into problems using a Mac

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If your Amundsen is connected to the internet via phone or data sim, you can update the maps directly to the unit via the online update screen in infotainment online as long as your data tariff allows (12GB for EU), else park near your home and log into your house WiFi first. 

Has anyone else had trouble with the downloader tool for the sat-nav updates that you get from https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/?

It appears the server is down and has been so for a week or more as I always get the following error when I try it

Capture.PNG.2cfc7cdee820f8b20f2b259046b672cb.PNG

7 hours ago, kiwibiologist said:

Has anyone else had trouble with the downloader tool for the sat-nav updates that you get from https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/?

It appears the server is down and has been so for a week or more as I always get the following error when I try it

Capture.PNG.2cfc7cdee820f8b20f2b259046b672cb.PNG

If you have a Windows PC (not a Mac) and are happy to do things yourself then you can update an Amundsen MIB2 using this procedure below

That post also links to a newer version of the Satnav data (version 1030 rather than 1010 in the filename)

Hi Bod20

I had found that link but saw that it was the Eu maps - I need the maps that cover NZ.  However, by replacing the link with MRM2 I could get to the file I think I need - it's downloading now.  There was no 1030 version of this dataset so downloaded the 1010 version.  Might all be unnecessary as the car I am yet to pick up is manufactured Nov 2017 so may already have the latest file onboard!  Too impatient to wait and see.

Alastair