Vrs tdi mk3

So how many miles has the car done, and when was the oil checked at operating temperature and had the correct quantity and then how many miles until not enough oil.

Was there a warning light or message or just checking the oil at operating temp showed oil used?

Is the car used as a Taxi and does it sit ticking over often?

My VRS TDi has a bit of an appetite for oil. Sometimes it can go months with no oil needed, other times it drinks it. Not really different to any other diesel I've owned, so im just sure to check it occasionally.

Engine oil changed about 2000 miles ago with castrol oil! light comes on check oil n there's about 1 litre missing! It's does sit ticking over all day! Not really driven it hard! I used to own a 2011 2.0 tdi L&K  with over 200k n it never lost oil! 

Are you sure that the correct VW oïl spec was used?

Did you remove the undertray to check it wasnt losing oïl as it could be collecting here & then being blown off once the car is moving rather than seeing the tradition black spots on the driveway.

1L in 2000miles seems excessive. I assume it didnt consume any oïl before you had the oïl changed recently?

My TDI uses about 1-1.5L of oïl between services (so around 30,000km) in normal conditions.

However, I've found that on very long journeys where I dont really stop, e.g. 1000km Switzerland to the UK, this can consume quite a bit more oïl than normal.

After a return trip (full when setting off) the warning light came on just before I arrived home so ~2000km in total.

I put this down to the oïl being thinner when run for extended periods as the car drove almost non-stop for 12 hours.

After topping up, the oïl consumption was back to normal on my daily 130km commute & didnt need topping up again before the next service many months later.

Ever since the 45K service mine seems to need a top up every 5000km.  one thing i have noticed that there is an oil stain on the underside of the bonnet directly above the dip stick and around the oil filler cap there is always some oil, even though i clean this up each time I top up.  I am wondering if there is meant to be a seal / O-ring under the filler cap that has become dislodged / lost at the 45k service. as there is no evidence of leaks elsewhere, and i would figure that if it is burning the oil the DPF would need more frequent regens which doesnt appear to be happening.

It is not 'losing oil'   it is using oil. 

Actually burning it, maybe mixing with the Diesel Oil, and car sitting ticking over is polluting the environment.

Hopefully more local authorities and the Government will ban vehicles including Taxis sitting stationery with engines running.

The oil Spec for the car is VW 507  so 5w 30 FS LL.

you will always burn a little oil past the O rings thats normal it also happens in petrol engines. 1L per 2K is not normal and would indicate a problem.

Euro 6 Petrol engines of the same size/displacement produce much more CO2 than a Euro 6 diesel so you could argue are worse for the environment. Diesel produce marginally more NOX etc. the issue with diesels are particulates/soot and cause acute levels of this type of pollution particularly in built up areas thus the creation of a DPF to curb this.

So those driving petrols are hypocritical or ill informed when they lecture diesel owners about pollution.

• Sad 1

I'd been back to the garage who serviced my car n they've told me that I'd only brought in 4 litres of castrol edge oil and forgot to tell me when I picked up the car! So that was the problem! Sorry guys I was worried! 

TaxiB, 

so you supply your oil for servicing and because you never supplied enough the Tech / Mechanic or Fitter just put that amount in and sent you on your way.

?

What establishment do you have your servicing done at?  Just so others can avoid.