50,000 miles - what's around the corner?

jst_at_home

Our Citigo SE 60 ASG is just approaching 50,000 miles and three and a half years' old.  Today we've done a 100 mile road trip through the Trough of Bowland and down the M6 from Lancaster.

We never fail to be impressed with how well it performs on all types of road and still turns in 60+ mpg.  

60 bhp doesn't sound much but I have to remind myself that it's almost twice what my first cars had!

However as we are just a whisker away from 50,000 miles I'm wondering if there are any horror stories waiting around the corner.

Have any other Citigo owners passed this milestone and what have your experiences been?

Thanks

John

• Like 1

My first one went for 104,000 miles before I sold it, still running perfectly apart from the usual warped disc issue. Second one was sold at around 85,000 miles, also running perfectly apart from warped disc issue. From memory, the first one suffered some chafed wiring on the O2 sensor lead where it goes behind the battery (Greentec version) leading to an error code and slight hesitancy. It also had to have two new coil packs at just over 100,000 miles. Overall, pretty good I'd say. 50,000 miles is just about run in!

Edited by Chris GB
Typed by an idiot.
  • Like 2

Many thanks Citigouk.  Those are very interesting.  One thing that has occurred is the cam belt.  I've seen previous posts where Skoda say the change interval is 160,000 miles but Skoda GB recommending a change at 4 years.  Do I take it yours has not had the belt changed?

John

Hi John,

I leave skoda to tell me whats needed doing and when.... just keeping to the 10k intervals - there is no note of a belt being undertaken on the previous 7 invoices.

Which somehow does against skoda GB recommendation of 4 years.... there were topic on here that said something like 100k+ and 8 years.

I’ve just had my Citigo serviced (66 plate) and on the service schedule they gave me it said mine was due October 2021 or so many miles (can’t remember). It’s useful when they tell you what needs doing when. 

It went on to list:

Brake fluid

spark plugs 

etc

This is what Skoda Citigo service manual says:

Every 240 000 km, then every 30 000 km

- Inspect the toothed belt for the camshaft drive on petrol engines

- Inspect the toothed belt for the coolant pump drive on petrol engines

Edited by Emil
  • Like 1

So?

They introduced Citigo in 2012 if my memory serves. Takes some time before it's 20-30 years old. So why hurry. Maybe after 10 years you may think belt replacement if you can't sleep anymore. Remember it's 3 cylinder with tri-oval pulleys. Not much stress for the belt. Sure you remember it, why wouldn't you. :biggrin:

Edited by Emil
  • Haha 1

The engine was not new for the Up!MiiCitigo so there is experience with it pre 2012.

But as far as from 2012 that is 6 years so far, so we have 2 years more before we know how they are at 8 years or 4 more years until they are 10 years old.

Are there  many Up!MiiCitigo that are now past 240,000 km?

• Haha 1

TSI up! doesn't need belt change at all. I don't know why but that's what VW says at the moment. 

(In dusty environment it needs belt maintenance, but for example UK wasn't on that list) 

Interestingly, my nephew has just taken his 64 reg Citigo Greentech for MOT at the supplying dealer 24,000 miles.  The car passed it's test with flying colours but he was given an inspection sheet highlighting cambelt change as advisory work required at £389.

John

I got swmbo's 2012, 60bhp, Citigo cambelt replaced last year @ a friends small local garage including a full proper service for around £260, with approx 11k miles on it.

The main Skoda dealer were insisting it was due a cambelt and water pump combo @ around £500! and they are the experts.....NOT.  

I declined thier offer and tried to explain it didn't have the water pump in the usual place and is nothing to do with the cambelt drive line, it's on the opposite side of the engine but the service desk insisted they advise doing both!

Obviously with only 11k miles it was done on the time factor rather than the mileage, as Offski points out it would be some 20/30 years before swmbo's car would get to the mileage to replace it.

Did have a ABS pump failure, recently but luckily, my garage fitted a unit out of an UP and it works perfectly, saving a small fortune.

Good to see some of these cars getting decent mileage under thier belts, means swmbo's car all being well, will be in the family for a number of years to come.

I got swmbo's 2012, 60bhp, Citigo cambelt replaced last year @ a friends small local garage including a full proper service for around £260, with approx 11k miles on it.

The main Skoda dealer were insisting it was due a cambelt and water pump combo @ around £500! and they are the experts.....NOT.  

I declined thier offer and tried to explain it didn't have the water pump in the usual place and is nothing to do with the cambelt drive line, it's on the opposite side of the engine but the service desk insisted they advise doing both!

Obviously with only 11k miles it was done on the time factor rather than the mileage, as Offski points out it would be some 20/30 years before swmbo's car would get to the mileage to replace it.

Did have a ABS pump failure, recently but luckily, my garage fitted a unit out of an UP and it works perfectly, saving a small fortune.

Good to see some of these cars getting decent mileage under thier belts, means swmbo's car all being well, will be in the family for a number of years to come.

• Like 1

Given the differing information on when the Citigo needs its cambelt changing, I decided to e-mail Skoda and see what came back.

This is what Skoda said:

"Thank you for your recent contact regarding the cambelt. Please accept my apologies in the delay with our response.

I have looked into your cambelt query and there is no ŠKODA recommended interval, so I would recommend the UK interval which is every five years.

I hope this information proves useful and should you require any further assistance or have any further queries, please do not hesitate to come back through to us using any of the details below. For more immediate assistance, I would recommend that you use the Live Chat function here: www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us, or our Social Media channels.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK".

I'm not sure if that helps or not but it does seem to fit in with what Emil said about the VW Up!

John