Wet / Damp Floor

Beddiawl

I purchased a brand new fabia estate back in march, love it and is my second mk3 fabia (the first being a tad but too small for life with a toddler)

All was good until about a month ago I noticed the floor under the drivers mat was soaking wet, I dried it, put the mat back, next day soaking again, this went on for a week or two sk called skoda, they picked up the car and returned it to me the next day saying that they cannot find a fault.

The next day i go to the car again and suprise suprise, soaking wet again, I call them to say i'm not very happy with this , the car is 5 months old, has 4k miles and almost certainly should not be wet on the inside. 

Skoda have picked up the car again, but I am really worried they will come back with the same answer and i'll be stuck with a car that lets water in and it will constantly smell damp.

Has anyone had any damp problems / leaks in their MK3? Driver's side only?

I'd love to hear from you as I cannot find any other issues similar people have had, no matter how muchI google.....

(I have attached an image of how wet under my mat gets)

IMG_20180823_071928.jpg

Edited by Beddiawl

Hi Beddiawl, welcome to the site.

No, your new car should not leak water into the footwell. It will be interesting to see what the dealer makes of it this time. I will say water leaks can be very difficult to track down. We normally use a flurenscent dye to help diagnose where the water is coming into the car and it can take sometime to find it. Often when water is coming into the footwell it can be traced to poor sealing around the bulkhead area of the car. But of course, it can be a seam almost anywhere causing the issue or even a door seal. The thing to do is document everything that happens regarding when the car goes into the garage for checks and of course list everything the garage tells you. If you are not getting anywhere, then it's worth having a chat with the dealer principle by phone or email to tell them of the issue. Usually, bodyshops are good at finding water leaks as they know precisely how your car goes together. Let us all know what happens this time please. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

Hi Beddiawl, welcome to the site.

No, your new car should not leak water into the footwell. It will be interesting to see what the dealer makes of it this time. I will say water leaks can be very difficult to track down. We normally use a flurenscent dye to help diagnose where the water is coming into the car and it can take sometime to find it. Often when water is coming into the footwell it can be traced to poor sealing around the bulkhead area of the car. But of course, it can be a seam almost anywhere causing the issue or even a door seal. The thing to do is document everything that happens regarding when the car goes into the garage for checks and of course list everything the garage tells you. If you are not getting anywhere, then it's worth having a chat with the dealer principle by phone or email to tell them of the issue. Usually, bodyshops are good at finding water leaks as they know precisely how your car goes together. Let us all know what happens this time please. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! I will of course keep you all updated, all my correspondence has been done via email so is quite easy to track, i do hope they find the leak, it is causing some stress to be fair as i am parting with alot of money for a somewhat "faulty car" 

I currently have a loan car off them and am quite tempted to tell them that I will be keeping it until the fault is found, i can't accept that there is no fault.

I got the car in March and soon after we had the dryest summer in years so only in the last month it has appeared.

Agreed. Most likely the problem is that the condensation drain hose for the A/C evaporator has become dislodged and is draining in to the the interior foot well, rather then to the outside under the car. This is a relatively common problem and is (usually) pretty easy to rectify.

4 hours ago, Shenanigans000 said:

Agreed. Most likely the problem is that the condensation drain hose for the A/C evaporator has become dislodged and is draining in to the the interior foot well, rather then to the outside under the car. This is a relatively common problem and is (usually) pretty easy to rectify.

Fingers crossed that they check that area, I will give them a call on Monday just to mention it! Is it common on the mk3 fabia?? And is tge drain pipe on the drivers side?

5 hours ago, Skodaboy1983 said:

Any update?

Davy

Slightly, had a phonecall today, car was due back with me today, however, they can't find the fault and have seen a puddle of water in the drivers side, they are not happy releasing the car until sorted, so it is coming up to a week that the car has been in with no progress really.

I just hope they can sort it otherwise im not sure what to do next!

9 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

Beddiawl, do nothing. Let them get on with it. They will find it. This sounds like a heater matrix leak when under pressure. It must be a very slight one though. AC condensator leak would show easily by now. 

Yeah I will leave them to get on with it, i am in no rush to get it back if it means them curing the fault. 

I just want a car that doesn't get wet!!

1 hour ago, RickW said:

Shhhhh don't let the Rapid forum hear you,they're quite passionate about their cars.

Well i can only measure it on the scale of back pain, in my fabia 2/10, in the rapid 8/10

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adrian55555 said:

@Beddiawl do u park on a slope or not downhill or uphill or angles?  This could help the dealer of they are trying to trace the leak to try replicate 

No, I park level 99% of the time. They have seen a leak in the dealers, they just can't find where it is coming from.

Success-ish, got a call from Skoda today, the engineer is very confident that he has sorted the leak, I am not sure on what it was yet but the service manager will update me when they return the car on Monday! 

I believe they have had to rip out the dash along with the carpet etc to find it. 

I have asked while it is in if they can activate automatic door locking and hill start for me, I expected a no from them but the service manager said i'll have a word the engineer for you. **fingers crossed**

I will update you all when I find out more!

Edited by Beddiawl

40 minutes ago, Beddiawl said:

Success-ish, got a call from Skoda today, the engineer is very confident that he has sorted the leak, I am not sure on what it was yet but the service manager will update me when they return the car on Monday! 

I believe they have had to rip out the dash along with the carpet etc to find it. 

I have asked while it is in if they can activate automatic door locking and hill start for me, I expected a no from them but the service manager said i'll have a word the engineer for you. **fingers crossed**

I will update you all when I find out more!

Result!  I guessed it would involve that!  As op said a seam on bulkhead. When u speak to the service manager ask them if they took pictures.  When i was at vw it was good practice to take pictures as evidence for the warranty claim. Due to it being an unusual repair and no specific repair operation code for the claim.