Adaptive cruise control question

RickW

I'm thinking of specifying this extra on my next Fabia.

If you have it on yours do you like it and can it be switched off to just have normal cc like I currently have on my car?

Edited by RickW

Just now, RickW said:

I'm thinking of specifying this extra on my next Fabia.

If you have it on yours do you like it and can it be switched off to just have normal cc like I currently have on my car.

Have it on my Superb, and I think it’s great though it is best with DSG gearbox as it will take the car right down to a stop/crawl in traffic. No you can’t just have ordinary CC. I suspect because it would be too easy to be confused about which mode it was in, resulting in it driving you into the back of the car in front. I can’t think why you would ever want to switch off the “adaptive” bit anyway.

Only downside is the sensor seems very prone to blocking with quite a small build up of snow/ice on the centre of the grill. Then ACC stops working altogether and you have to drive manually until the packed snow/ice clears (or is cleared by you).

Latest cars I think have speed limiter as an alternative, that can of course be used as a basic CC but you have to keep your foot planted on the throttle.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have it on my Fabia MK3 Estate. Dealer was surprised the option was a available on the configurator as he didn't think it went down to the Fabia (Ordered in Oct 2017 and collected Jan 2018). The amazing thing was adding it came up as €0! which it did infact end up being.

I love it and don't think I'll every buy a car without it adaptive CC after using it. I was driving the oul lads car with normal CC recently and found it a pain in comparison.

I've a DSG also.

Haven't had any issue with it not working as the other poster mentioned and I've driven in pretty bad weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mark_irl said:

Hi,

I have it on my Fabia MK3 Estate. Dealer was surprised the option was a available on the configurator as he didn't think it went down to the Fabia (Ordered in Oct 2017 and collected Jan 2018). The amazing thing was adding it came up as €0! which it did infact end up being.

I love it and don't think I'll every buy a car without it adaptive CC after using it. I was driving the oul lads car with normal CC recently and found it a pain in comparison.

I've a DSG also.

Haven't had any issue with it not working as the other poster mentioned and I've driven in pretty bad weather.

I have the ACC as well, had a price tag of about 300 euros here. It's the best accessory after A/C and I'll never get a new car without it.

• Thanks 1

I got it as standard on our Superb SEL Exec.

I'm also of the feeling that I would never get a car without ACC again.  Love it with the DSG box.  And as has previously mentioned, you can switch it to "Speed Limiter" mode, set it to your CC speed, and bury your foot in the carpet and it will just sit at the set speed.

Not sure if I'd be as bothered with ACC on a manual car though.  I haven't had issues with dirt/snow/grime on the sensor as a previous poster has mentioned.

My wife's Mk7 Golf has ACC  and I also had it on a previous Octavia. I think it's absolutely brilliant but only on a DSG car. In a manual car you would have to change gear as the system varies speed and also use the clutch if the car comes gradually to a halt in heavy traffic etc. There have been several problems with the lower mounted radar sensor on Mk 7 Golfs and Octavias (hit by stones and even pheasants!); expensive repairs and calibration are then needed. Later Golfs (Mk7.5), Passats etc. have the sensor located much higher behind the VW badge where it's less liable to damage. AFAIK new Fabias, Octavias etc. still have the sensor mounted low down but I'm not sure about this. BTW, ACC can be switched off it not needed.

1 hour ago, bertJ said:

My wife's Mk7 Golf has ACC  and I also had it on a previous Octavia. I think it's absolutely brilliant but only on a DSG car. In a manual car you would have to change gear as the system varies speed and also use the clutch if the car comes gradually to a halt in heavy traffic etc. There have been several problems with the lower mounted radar sensor on Mk 7 Golfs and Octavias (hit by stones and even pheasants!); expensive repairs and calibration are then needed. Later Golfs (Mk7.5), Passats etc. have the sensor located much higher behind the VW badge where it's less liable to damage. AFAIK new Fabias, Octavias etc. still have the sensor mounted low down but I'm not sure about this. BTW, ACC can be switched off it not needed.

The new Octavias have the sensor higher after facelift but Fabia still has it in the lower grill. I've driven both and as we have lots of snow and sleet here in Finland, the lower radar somehow works better. I've only once had it blocked by something on my Fabia but on a rental Octavia the ACC was constantly down in similar conditions.

3 hours ago, RickW said:

Anyone here have acc with a speed limiter?

Probably no help but my wife's VW Golf has ACC with speed limiter. I would suspect that the same system would be fitted to a Fabia. Why not ask a dealer? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RickW said:

Anyone here have acc with a speed limiter?

It depends on the year. My 2016 Superb just has the ACC but the 2017 and later Superbs have that and speed limiter. My sister’s 2018 Karoq has ACC and limiter. She never uses the limiter.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mark, so with the facelift Fabia acc comes with a speed limiter.

I'm waiting for a call from a dealer to verify.

Ours isn't the recent facelift so can't speak to that for definite.

Out of interest, why are you looking for a separate speed limiter? We never (intentionally anyway) use the speed limiter as you already have the option to set speed built into the ACC and I can't think of why I'd use the basic limiter instead of ACC

I use the speed limiter on those average speed check cameras to ensure I don't go over the limit. I don't use it often but I like it.

On 20/09/2018 at 18:16, RickW said:

I use the speed limiter on those average speed check cameras to ensure I don't go over the limit. I don't use it often but I like it.

But surely setting the ACC to the limit achieves exactly the same thing, only better because it slows you down when there are cars in front? Also with average speed cameras I tend to reset the average speed readout on the maxi dot when I pass the yellow vultures. It’s just a long press on the steering wheel button. So if I have to slow down for some reason, I can tell how the average is doing and whether I can make up any time (only when it’s safe, of course).

My car doesn't have adaptive cruise so needs adjusting manually when approaching slower cars.

I wonder why speed limiters were invented?

I know what your saying though.

• 4 months later...
On 12/09/2018 at 13:50, hwr1983 said:

I got it as standard on our Superb SEL Exec.

I'm also of the feeling that I would never get a car without ACC again.  Love it with the DSG box.  And as has previously mentioned, you can switch it to "Speed Limiter" mode, set it to your CC speed, and bury your foot in the carpet and it will just sit at the set speed.

Not sure if I'd be as bothered with ACC on a manual car though.  I haven't had issues with dirt/snow/grime on the sensor as a previous poster has mentioned.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread from the grave, but my car has both CC / SL modes, but on SL mode, sometimes it will seem to forget about the limit and ill find myself doing 20-25mph more than what i'd set, and i don't want a speeding ticket!

I've now got ACC on my  new Fabia which means I no longer have a SL like on my last S EL.

It definitely sounds like a fault on yours as the only way I used to be able to cancel it was to switch it off on the stalk or press down hard and quick on the accelerator.