Rear brake disks and warranty.

Hello all, 

Currently having a dispute with my local Skoda main dealer regarding corroded rear brake discs. 

My car is a Superb '66' plate 1.4 TSI (150nhp), the mileage has just turned 22.5k. 

Given the car's young age and mileage covered, I do not expect both rear disks to be badly corroded and cause juddering when braking.

When I took my car in last week, I felt a bit fobbed off with 'general wear and tear' reasoning, and that, perhaps understandably, Skoda UK are very reluctant to carry out brake repairs under warranty. 

I just feel this isn't good enough, a disk's life should surely be longer than this? The problem is highlighted further by the fact the front disks still look like new!

Anyway, the service manager has now contacted Skoda UK to see it they can either part or fully fund both rear disk replacements. 

Any opinions/experiences would be most welcome! 

(Please note there are no obvious contributory reasons for this to have happened, car is in regular use and driven carefully with a mix of motorway and town driving) 

Edited by DavidGee

I'm not with the car at the moment, but will a post a picture later tonight. 

Regarding replacement, Skoda have said that the braking efficiency of the vehicle as a whole is fine.  But, the condition of the discs looks bad and I'm getting juddering at high speed braking so I'm not happy so intending on replacing them.

I only bought the car in January 18, so I presume that car was parked up in the dealership for a while until I bought it, but the condition of the disks then were visually ok. 

Mileage wise, I do around 1,250 miles per month and it's mostly motorway trips. 

Dave. 

49 minutes ago, DavidGee said:

(Please note there are no obvious contributory reasons for this to have happened, car is in regular use and driven carefully with a mix of motorway and town driving) 

And thats the reason!

Careful gentle braking is no good at all for skoda disks. The rust builds up and you rarely clean the discs with an occasional good heavy braking. Worse, the clean up is partial and patchy, allowing further build up to be uneven. The pad material deposits and sticks on the corrosion and you end up with hills on the disks. And underneath the corrosion works downwards and delaminates, sometimes breaking off in chunks.

Motorway use is particularly bad as pad material stuck on the corroded areas bakes on  hard.

You will be very lucky if they entertain your claim (only maybe if you are super loyal and high spending regular customer).

6 months/6500 miles and thats it Sir.

On the other hand, buy some 80/100 grit aluminum oxide paper for pennies at Toolstation. Whip the wheel off and a combination of gentle tapping with a small hammer, large screwdriver and a rub down will bring back a serviceable disc. Clean the caliper/carrier to allow it to slide freely. (Electronic handbrake may need to be released to move the disc round etc). If you have a grit flap wheel on a drill, even easier.

Cleaning of discs and brake calipers at least once a year is the way to go to optimise disc/pad life.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Was it a Skoda Approved Used car then?

Usually they will have Italian Tuned them before delivery to the new owner.

Maybe they will relent and replace. Obviously none Skim Brakes anymore.  Well they try to not be found out doing it, 

for me it is not an issue when done on rear brakes.

Yes it was an approved Skoda car

Xman - take your point and thanks for the advice regarding rubbing the disks down.

I'll see what they come back with first - if they will partially or fully contribute towards new disks. Expecting a reply by tomorrow.

Dave. 

For long life try fitting ATE ceramic pads (preferably in conjunction with new discs), the composition of these pads coats the discs with a thin carbide layer, longer life, less dust, better corrosion free appearance.

http://www.ate-brakes.com/products/disc-brakes/ate-ceramic-brake-pads/

Other "ceramic" pads also available eg textar epad etc

Got some ATE ceramic pads going on one of the Fabias in a couple of months to try.

If they are as good as claimed then will be standard change for me in the future.

On 11/09/2018 at 16:52, xman said:

For long life try fitting ATE ceramic pads (preferably in conjunction with new discs), the composition of these pads coats the discs with a thin carbide layer, longer life, less dust, better corrosion free appearance.

http://www.ate-brakes.com/products/disc-brakes/ate-ceramic-brake-pads/

Other "ceramic" pads also available eg textar epad etc

Got some ATE ceramic pads going on one of the Fabias in a couple of months to try.

If they are as good as claimed then will be standard change for me in the future.

These look very promising! I really hate the damn dust that keeps collecting on the nice bright alloys... Since Skoda warranty does not cover brake pads, is this allowed to be changed on your own? I have 30.000km but brake wear seems pretty small and I drive pretty dynamic 

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2018 at 19:56, DavidGee said:

Hi, update on this today, Skoda have thankfully offered a 50% contribution!

Please provide details of your dealer and the contact at skoda UK. 

This will help others who are denied by poor dealers and SUK inconsistencies. 

• Like 2