Front door rubber surrounds wearing

Have 2016 Fabia Mk 3 Estate - 30000 odd miles. Bought February 2017 ex demonstrator.

Disappointed to find driver's front door rubbers are wearing badly and have cracked. Have had water ingress into car in heavy downpour.

Took matter up with local dealer and they said that it was down to wear and tear and I should be more careful getting in and out of the car and that it was not covered under warranty. 

I must admit that I have contacted with the surround on a few occasions getting in and out, but think that the material is not of substantial enough quality.

Skoda have made a mistake here in material selection.

Had a 2004 Fabia Mk 2 estate and had not problems in 8 years of ownership.

Have taken matter up with Skoda UK Customer services and am awaiting a response.

See attached photos.

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

I seem to remember someone else had the same problem here with their Fabia 3. I'm fairly sure it was replaced under warranty after a stand off with the dealer.

Not positive at the moment. Have just spoken to Skoda UK Customer Services and they are now asking if I have raised this matter with my local dealer (Carrs of Exeter). I said that I had and Carrs  said down to 'wear and tear'. After this response I did say I would raise the matter with Skoda UK. Customer Services wanted to know who I actually spoke to - I replied I didn't get a name. 

It appears to me that they are now putting up a smoke screen as they are saying that they will contact Carrs to verify my enquiry.  Customer Services will contact me before Friday. They appear to be passing the buck between each other - not what I expected.

The fact is the material used is sub standard and too soft to be in this location around the door, after all you get into the car through the door opening and not the roof ! Sorry ranting now !

Looking at Briskoda there is another report of Fabia 3 door surrounds failing/wearing - so I am not alone - February 2018 I think.

After 8 years and 177000 odd miles in my previous wonderful Fabia 1 estate - this model is proving a bit of a horror.

Watch this space.

Hello!

This is my first post here. I’m from Finland and I had exactly same problem with my Fabia Monte Combi 2017 driver side seal. Went to local Skoda dealer and the seal was changed under warranty no questions asked.

shepherdstibb, Skoda Uk always checks with the dealer. That's normal since you must deal with your own dealer as your contract is with them, not Skoda Uk. Skoda Uk are not trying to pass the buck. it's legally how it has to happen. However, once they have verified your dealings with the dealer, they will probably ask you to again go into the dealership for another examination of the door seal. Skoda Uk can only go by what the dealer actually sees and assesses. So be very clear about the issue and why you think it has happened ie: poor materials being used for the seal. Always get the garage/dealer persons name that you are dealing with. That's very important.  In addition, you MUST make your case as to why the seal should be replaced under warranty. The dealer has no idea how you use the car and it's very important to say that your previous Fabia/s have not had this problem. For all the dealer knows, you have been rubbing yourself against the seal everytime you get into the car and of course that will wear it out. Make sure you tell them the car is used like any other Fabia you have owned and you have never had this issue before. Make sure to tell the person assessing you car that you have been intouch with Skoda UK. 

So hypothetically if I buy a Skoda from a dealer 300 miles way because it was a great deal,I would have to take it there for a warranty claim as my contract is with them?

Technically Rick, that's true under consumer law. Except that Skoda, like any other manufacturer accepts that this is not always possible, and allows any Skoda dealer to handle your claim. It's an extra 'right' that is afforded to us through our warranty contract, even though Skoda dealers are independent franchises. Over the years many folks have failed to realise the fact they must go through their dealer to get warranty service. They get very irate when Skoda asks them to go through their dealer. But it is a matter of legality, contract law.

When I rejected my new Skoda, it was the dealer who I had my contract with and with whom I had to deal. Thats inspite of me engaging with Skoda UK and VW Finance as well to gain some support. Therefore, even though they wanted to help and were actually on my side, Skoda UK could not just give me a new car. The actual decision whether to allow the rejection to go ahead (without involving the law) was totally down to the dealer. Of course, my car was faulty and if I had gone to law the matter would have been settled by the court, and without question, in my favour. The dealer would have had no choice but to give me a new car (as indeed he did anyway). It's very much the same with a warranty claim too. In simplified terms its ultimately the dealers decision as to whether to allow a claim, not Skoda UK. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Estate Man said:

Technically Rick, that's true under consumer law. Except that Skoda, like any other manufacturer accepts that this is not always possible, and allows any Skoda dealer to handle your claim. It's an extra 'right' that is afforded to us through our warranty contract, even though Skoda dealers are independent franchises. Over the years many folks have failed to realise the fact they must go through their dealer to get warranty service. They get very irate when Skoda asks them to go through their dealer. But it is a matter of legality, contract law.

When I rejected my new Skoda, it was the dealer who I had my contract with and with whom I had to deal. Thats inspite of me engaging with Skoda UK and VW Finance as well to gain some support. Therefore, even though they wanted to help and were actually on my side, Skoda UK could not just give me a new car. The actual decision whether to allow the rejection to go ahead (without involving the law) was totally down to the dealer. Of course, my car was faulty and if I had gone to law the matter would have been settled by the court, and without question, in my favour. The dealer would have had no choice but to give me a new car (as indeed he did anyway). It's very much the same with a warranty claim too. In simplified terms its ultimately the dealers decision as to whether to allow a claim, not Skoda UK. 

I feel rejecting a car under UK consumer law is different to the warranty, both new and used Skoda vehicles. The warranty is clearly with Skoda UK which is stated in the warranty docs, not the dealer. You have to go to your nearest Skoda retailer or service centre to have the car assessed but the dealer cannot actually make the decision on the warranty claim because the dealer did not issue the warranty. Rejecting the car is with the dealer as the contract for the sale was with the dealer, warranty decisions are with the warranty provider, Skoda UK.

Thanks for your comments everybody.

I'm now going to cloud the issue as I actually bought the car from Murray in Plymouth (South Devon) - I actually live in North Devon. 

I have had the car serviced in Exeter at Carrs Skoda (in South Devon) because their location is more convenient for me. I assumed (maybe now wrongly) , that any Skoda dealer would oblige with servicing my Skoda.

There is also a back story. At about 13000 odd miles, I experienced clutch slip. I took the vehicle to Carrs (again because of convenience) for examination and after a lot heart wrenching and angst, they decided that an oil seal has gone and allowed oil onto the clutch and flywheel. The finger of blame was initially pointed at me 'because of my driving habits', but after 177000 miles on my previous Fabia 1 (on the same clutch) I strongly disputed this. The clutch/flywheel assembly was changed under warranty. This process, because of Carrs 'hard attitude' regarding warranty, unfortunately left a bad taste in the mouth.

The present episode with the door surrounds wearing is very annoying. It looks as if it has actually perished and that the material is not strong enough to be in the position it is. Obviously nobody at Skoda thought of doing a wear test in an area which will be subject to slight brushing on entry to the vehicle. My old Fabia 1 had actual rubber, the Fabia 3 looks like sponge material which is not fit for purpose.

I seem to be going on a bit, but I bought another Fabia because the previous experience with my old model was great  and enjoyable. I am really sold on the brand and thought that the newer model would be even better. I just want a car that will start in the morning, be reliable, give good MPH and last - I don't enjoy the hassle and I'm not asking for the moon.

Mr Angry from Stibb signing off - sorry. I'll keep you all updated. 

Quote from the warranty docs:-"In the event of a vehicle becoming defective due to faulty material or manufacture, it must be promptly returned to an appointed Skoda Retailer or Authorised Repairer where it will be repaired free of charge."

Any of the the above will do, does not have to be the supplying dealer.

8 hours ago, peter3197 said:

I feel rejecting a car under UK consumer law is different to the warranty, both new and used Skoda vehicles. The warranty is clearly with Skoda UK which is stated in the warranty docs, not the dealer. You have to go to your nearest Skoda retailer or service centre to have the car assessed but the dealer cannot actually make the decision on the warranty claim because the dealer did not issue the warranty. Rejecting the car is with the dealer as the contract for the sale was with the dealer, warranty decisions are with the warranty provider, Skoda UK.

Hi Peter, yes but your contract is with the dealer for everything. Skoda and the dealer actually supply the warranty (as stated in the handbook for the car) but it's the supplying dealer who has the job of assessing and carrying out the work. they do work with Skoda closely and if Skoda say it's not covered, then the dealer can still decide to do it or not. Sometimes it's the other way around, Skoda may say ok but the dealer may refuse to do it. Either way, it's the dealer you have to deal with no matter what. Consumer law goes hand in hand with any warranties offered. If Skoda Uk went bust the dealer will still have a contractual obligation to supply warranty. Rejecting the car is maybe just a little different, but similar principle, in as much as it's the dealer who you have to go through at all times. That's because my contract was with my dealer, not Skoda Uk. 

Edited by Estate Man
  • Haha 1

WP_20180926_17_47_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.e134cfe1ba227171c63e89876a167149.jpg

In fact, according to my warranty book, the 2 year warranty is with Skoda itself, only the 3rd year is with Skoda Uk. There is no mention of the dealer being a joint provider of the  warranty.

• Like 1

So someone in Helston who buys a new Fabia from Inverness,because of the excellent price,would need to deal with  them,704 miles away, in the event of a warranty claim instead of the dealer half a mile from their door? 

Meant for EM.

Edited by RickW

I also have the exact same issue.

It seems to stem from a combination of what appear to be unusually small front door openings on the Fabio, along with somewhat flimsy door seals. I have noticed that, in general, the little Fabio is not an easy car to ingress/egress from.

I am due for a service in the next week or two, and I plan on bringing it up with the dealer then. We shall see what  happens then, and I'll post the results here.

On 26/09/2018 at 18:45, RickW said:

So someone in Helston who buys a new Fabia from Inverness,because of the excellent price,would need to deal with  them,704 miles away, in the event of a warranty claim instead of the dealer half a mile from their door? 

Meant for EM.

As I and Offski mention, it's ok to go to any dealer in the Skoda network. But you don't deal with Skoda Uk for warranty unless you get dealer issues and then and only then will Skoda Uk try to help. But they cannot force a dealer to do warranty work if the dealer believes the warranty work is not justified. Your contract in law is with your original selling dealer and this will always remain the case but Skoda cuts you some slack and allows you to go to any Skoda network dealer. It is the case that some dealers will quite legally refuse to do warranty work if they are not the supplying dealer especially if the job is a big one. But this is rare indeed and totally not good for business or the customer. 

• Thanks 1

I had the same issue with my 65 plate Fabia only 14k miles, these door seal rubbers are poor quality, now i have a new Fabia i will think up some way to protect the driver side, there were no problems on the near side.

Steve.

Good Afternoon All - the story so far - really there isn't one ! Skoda Customer Services have come back (yesterday) to report that they are having a problem with getting a response from my contact dealer - Carrs of Exeter. They said that they would telephone me with an update in a couple of days.  I have just sent Customer Services the names of the people that I have been dealing with at Carrs to hopefully speed things up.

Hang on in there.