Car won't start

On 08/10/2018 at 12:25, chimaera said:

The general assumption/advice in this situation is if you have a good battery and it's not going flat every day there's nothing to worry about.

well, a new Varta E44 battery has arrived, cost was £86.

I've been looking at youtube videos on how to change car batteries. Some of them suggested plugging something for the "Keep Alive Memory"?

Do I need something like this for the superb to remember its radio stations, learnt dsg, mfd, bluetooth etc settings?

also, I basically just need that tool right?

spanner-33816__340.png

Edited by newskodadriver

Adjusting the time on the clock and reprogramming the radio stations isn't a major issue, just disconnect the battery.

An adjustable spanner (as in your picture) will be OK for the battery terminals, but the clamp that secures the battery to the tray upon which it sits is right down at the bottom of the battery (you should notice on your new battery that there is a lip all around the bottom of it, the clamp latches onto this lip).

Access to the bolt that is used to slacken and re-tighten the clamp is a bit tight, and  I think you'll struggle with an adjustable spanner.

I used a socket set with an extension piece...

71tfbggIEYL._SL1024_.jpg

This is the clamp, I'd guess the head size is no more than 10-13mm...

s-l225.jpg.02f8a067f3f8bcddee939f5abf551c19.jpg

One point to note, be prepared for a host of warning lights lighting up on the dash after you've replaced the battery and turn on the ignition / start the engine for the first time. Most of them will go out, but the steering wheel warning will require a short drive before it clears.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Adjusting the time on the clock and reprogramming the radio stations isn't a major issue, just disconnect the battery.

An adjustable spanner (as in your picture) will be OK for the battery terminals, but the clamp that secures the battery to the tray upon which it sits is right down at the bottom of the battery (you should notice on your new battery that there is a lip all around the bottom of it, the clamp latches onto this lip).

Access to the bolt that is used to slacken and re-tighten the clamp is a bit tight, and  I think you'll struggle with an adjustable spanner.

I used a socket set with an extension piece...

71tfbggIEYL._SL1024_.jpg

This is the clamp, I'd guess the head size is no more than 10-13mm...

s-l225.jpg.02f8a067f3f8bcddee939f5abf551c19.jpg

One point to note, be prepared for a host of warning lights lighting up on the dash after you've replaced the battery and turn on the ignition / start the engine for the first time. Most of them will go out, but the steering wheel warning will require a short drive before it clears.

Quickest way to clear the steering warning is to turn fully to one side then the other.

• Like 1

I must give thanks to guys here for a lot of patience has been shown, especially chimaera and silver1011.

Whilst much of the info is known and or assumed, it is always good to see it in Black and......... Grey, in such clear, informative and concise terms as you provided.

Sometimes it is good to know that what you know is right........  ^_^

Edited by Lady-Jennifer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...