2011 TSI vrs Ticking getting worse

Hello guys,

Any help would be appreciated, i think i may have asked about this issue before.

My engine is quite 'ticky', i've been told this is normal, and it may be. But it is definately getting worse, and only sometimes actually ticks. Some days it will go all day without doing it, and other days its extremely noticeable, even sometimes being able to be heard in the cabin. (I have had the tensioner + belt done a month ago)

I will put a link to it on one of its bad days.

I've been told its the evap valve, and was wondering how easy they are to replace on these CCZA engined cars, as they look simple on the older engine, but not so much on these!  Any other suggestions would be appreciated though.

Side note - Does my engine sound alright other wise? Sounds like a bag of spanners to me.

Edited by SimpsonMrG

1 hour ago, Offski said:

When you had the tensioner and the belt done did you also put in 5w 40 FS / VW502 00 rather than 5w 30 FF LL / VW504 / 507

and are there new Spark Plugs in with the correct gap set?

The garage who did the tensioner put the oil in and it doesn't say what he used on the receipt. And the car had a service including spark plugs about 6 months ago according to history. I didn't own it then. What do you suspect? 

• Like 1

I suspect nothing, i hope that the Tensioner job was done right,  i suggest you do not use 5w 30 FS Long Life Oil and check what was used.

I would hope the correct spark plugs with the correct gap are fitted and would expect you or the mechanic to have checked.

Simple basic stuff, 

assume nothing when others did stuff or say they did.

• Like 1

When the weather fairs up, i shall check over the spark plugs. It does start up quite nicely though. I'm not the most mechanically minded when it comes to cars, but i am trying to absorb as much knowledge as i can. So thank you for the reply! And what oil should i be putting in it? Would you suggest i do my own change?

You think its alright then? Not a sign of something on its way out?

I suggest you find out what was put in in the way of oil.   & also what the 4 spark plugs look like and measure the plug gap, and put 4 new ones in with the correct gap.

If the ones coming out are OK, keep them for future use.

& from now on at services use 5w 40 Full Synthetic to VW 502 00, and not VW's recommended long life oil which is VW504 / 507 FS Long Life.

So do fixed service intervals, and this is not to save money on the oil, but to save the engine.

When you say "tensioner + belt", which ones do you mean? You probably know that these CCZA engines are chain-driven, coming with the notorious tensioner issue. So maybe you mean the alternator belt and tensioner.

I see that oil has been mentioned. I have owned my VRS TSI for at least 3 years and have been using Quantum longlife 5w30,  VW 504-507 oil in all that time. 2 years ago as a preventative measure, I had the latest tensioner and chains fitted and still used that oil, I get it at a good price from my local TPS. I also change the oil and filter every 5k miles, I know a bit over the top and I also know that VW 502 oil would be okay because of the regular oil changes. I just can't see the oil playing a part in what SimpsonMrG regards as a problem. My car also has the evap ticking noise that comes and goes if you leave the engine ticking over, quite normal. Can't hear it inside the car mind. Although your car sounds like it has a little bit more rattle than mine, it could be just down to one engine sounding a little different to another.  Owners always say these engines are noisy anyway.

6 hours ago, Mankee said:

When you say "tensioner + belt", which ones do you mean? You probably know that these CCZA engines are chain-driven, coming with the notorious tensioner issue. So maybe you mean the alternator belt and tensioner.

Sorry, I meant tensioner and chain

1 hour ago, roaddetective said:

I see that oil has been mentioned. I have owned my VRS TSI for at least 3 years and have been using Quantum longlife 5w30,  VW 504-507 oil in all that time. 2 years ago as a preventative measure, I had the latest tensioner and chains fitted and still used that oil, I get it at a good price from my local TPS. I also change the oil and filter every 5k miles, I know a bit over the top and I also know that VW 502 oil would be okay because of the regular oil changes. I just can't see the oil playing a part in what SimpsonMrG regards as a problem. My car also has the evap ticking noise that comes and goes if you leave the engine ticking over, quite normal. Can't hear it inside the car mind. Although your car sounds like it has a little bit more rattle than mine, it could be just down to one engine sounding a little different to another.  Owners always say these engines are noisy anyway.

I think I'll just leave it until it goes, seems like the better course. It just sounds silly is all

Has the noise changed or gotten worse or appeared since you had the chain and tensioner done? I'm also running the Quantum Longlife 5W30 at the moment but will change to the Platinum 5W40 on the next change. No particular reason behind the switch, just that I've got a fair bit of the stuff.

Well, i feel like its gotten worse in the last week or two. Had the tensioner and chain done about 2 months ago. I think it's alright, i think ill just put up with it, as i keep getting told its normal. I'm just hoping the engine in general is alright, it is loud like.

On 10/10/2018 at 16:38, kton200281 said:

Lift the bonnet and record it, might be clearer then. The obvious ticking is the evap valve, front left hand site connected to the inlet manifold - that is what you can hear, but there is engine noise over that but is hard to say how loud it is.

Ok so here is the video i took last week.

It just so happens the tick was basically gone while i recorded this. (excuse the air intake cover being off, it always pops off.)

That sound alright? Seems loud to me.

12 minutes ago, kton200281 said:

Sounds just like mine, i have identical engine. In fact i'd say yours idles a bit smoother, there is a slight shake to my engine whilst idling when its hot - yours doesn't seem to do that, unless it was cold.

It was warmed up. Must just be what they sound like... i think i'm just super cautious that it will go bang, even though i had the tensioner done. haha