Turning DRL's off

53 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I'd imagine the Police on a stake-out at night in the winter with the engine running to keep warm would like the option to turn them off briefly.

They'll end up with an unnecessary engine idling fine ;)

A lot of opinions and assumptions expressed here but few facts!!!

In the UK the law relating to Daytime Running Lamps is covered by Schedule 24 of The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 as amended by The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 2017

It simply states: Daytime running lamps must comply with paragraphs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 of ECE Regulation 87

ECE-R48 section 6.19 and ECE-R87

The relevant parts summarised...

DRLs must activate automatically when the engine is started.

DRLs must switch off automatically if the headlamps or fog lamps are switched on.

DRLs may be switched off when stationary or in circumstances where the vehicle can only be driven at low speed.

As for MoT testing... an MoT test centre for small passenger vehicles and car derived vans acts as an agent for DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency).

The test centre has no power of enforcement. It will either pass or fail the vehicle submitted for testing.

You will not be fined for any failure, as has been implied elsewhere both in this and other threads.

DRLs will not be part of the test for vehicles first registered before 1/3/2018 (so not until 2021).

Defects are now categorised as Minor, Major or Dangerous.

"Minor" defect is something that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later but is not cause for failure.

"Major" defect is a failure but the car is still deemed to be roadworthy.  You can still drive the vehicle to or from either a place of repair or an MOT test centre for retesting by appointment.

"Dangerous" defect means the car is deemed to be unroadworthy and should not be driven. Unlike a major defect there are no exemptions for driving the vehicle. It is flagged on the DVSA database as being unroadworthy and also on PNC (Police National Computer).

If you drive a vehicle that has been flagged as "Dangerous" and are stopped by the police then it is grounds to consider a prosecution of driving a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition (s.40a Road Traffic Act 1988 as amended by Road Traffic Act 1991).

This is not new legislation but it now makes a successful prosecution much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, philg25 said:

Got it done today chaps extremely easy once you've scrolled through all the options on the VCDS. Authorisation code 31347 unlocked the security access.

How did you obtain the authorisation code ?  is there a web site  ?  I am still exploring VCDS and have often been prompted for access and security codes , as I am not to sure at present any help or advice given would be greatly appreciated 

Cheers !

51 minutes ago, TTJD said:

How did you obtain the authorisation code ?  is there a web site  ?  I am still exploring VCDS and have often been prompted for access and security codes , as I am not to sure at present any help or advice given would be greatly appreciated 

Cheers !

It was on the link Billyjim provided on first reply to this post

3 hours ago, TTJD said:

Cheers !

When you use the Security Access function, where you enter the code, the code for the adaptation you're trying to access appears in a mouse-over pop-up (or balloon as Ross-Tech call it) so you don't need to go looking for it elsewhere.

• 4 years later...

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere that will give me the option of turning these on and off, I don’t have the software or data cable to do it myself.

Having had the option to switch off and on with the MKII I’m a bit fed up that the option isn’t on my virtual garage.

Many thanks for reading.