VRS 0-60 times

22 minutes ago, Offski said:

Silver or Metallic Grey has the cloak of Invisibility, maybe that will come on fast vRS when Skoda do those.

Those are the colours most popular with people who drive with no lights on the motorway when it's getting dark.B)

23 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

I got 5.66secs without really trying too hard.

I reckon in the right conditions, with a bit of practice, low 5's would be achievable.

My car is running around 330bhp though.

image1.png

Cool. I bet getting the power down is the biggest hurdle with that sort of BHP going to the front wheels. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

That will please shy245VRS because he has over 300bhp as well, not many know that!

but his will be faster than yours because it will have lighter air in the tyres.

How did you know mine are filled with helium. That's why I can't stop LAUGHING.:D

23 minutes ago, EddGee said:

Cool. I bet getting the power down is the biggest hurdle with that sort of BHP going to the front wheels. 

Puts the power down really well to be honest with you, the VAQ works well, ESP in sport and feather in the power, clearly you can’t just floor it like you can in an AWD but mid 5 seconds is pretty respectable for a FWD.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

Puts the power down really well to be honest with you, the VAQ works well, ESP in sport and feather in the power, clearly you can’t just floor it like you can in an AWD but mid 5 seconds is pretty respectable for a FWD.   

What's the tyre wear like?  I recall with only 197bhp (likely about 210 with Skoda maths) my Mk2 Octy vRS would go through front tyres in 10K miles and axle tramp like a good 'un.  Though I suppose e-diffs and TCS s have improved greatly since then.  

Edited by penguin17

14 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

2 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

What's the tyre wear like?  I recall with only 197bhp (likely about 210 with Skoda maths) my Mk2 Octy vRS would go through front tyres in 10K miles and axle tramp like a good 'un.  Though I suppose e-diffs and TCS systems have improved greatly since then.  

I'm speaking from a Cupra viewpoint (with in excess of the mythical mystical figure of 306bhp :tongueout:) and I wouldn't like to think that the 0-60 speed was the outstanding feature due to the aforementioned 'issues'; but if it's dry, sunny and the car's already rolling, then .............

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

What's the tyre wear like?  I recall with only 197bhp (likely about 210 with Skoda maths) my Mk2 Octy vRS would go through front tyres in 10K miles and axle tramp like a good 'un.  Though I suppose e-diffs and TCS s have improved greatly since then.  

Tyre wear, I'd removed my "summer" wheels/tyres last week and had a look, I've about 5-6mm left on the fronts (PS4-S) after about 7k or so.   

E-diff is good, traction nannies need turning off as much as you can with the button (ESP Sport is the least invasive setting) or the car just cuts power when launching. At the end of the day, it is a FWD car, launching off the line is never going to be super quick but the 245 does a good job of it at these sport of power levels. 

I had considered dropping in an IS38 or even a hybrid from Littco but came to the conclusion there's not really any point, In my opinion at least, these cars sweet spot is right around the 300-340 bhp mark.   Get a downpipe, remap/jb4 and maybe some intake mods and just enjoy it for what it is.         Oh, and better brakes.

Edited by Muzza80
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Offski said:

That will please shy245VRS....
....his will be faster than yours because it will have lighter air in the tyres.

Of course it will....     while still returning 59.8 mpg....    :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, john999boy said:

I'm speaking from a Cupra viewpoint (with in excess of the mythical mystical figure of 306bhp :tongueout:) and I wouldn't like to think that the 0-60 speed was the outstanding feature due to the aforementioned 'issues'; but if it's dry, sunny and the car's already rolling, then .............

I guess you don't have a 4drive then :)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

I guess you don't have a 4drive then :)

True. :thumbup:

Too much wheel spin or similar with an excessive amount of hp and a lack of 4wd. :sadsmile:But as you know, add one of the ingredients and the 'package' improves. You just need to add the 2nd part to complete the experience. ;) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, john999boy said:

True. :thumbup:

Too much wheel spin or similar with an excessive amount of hp and a lack of 4wd. :sadsmile:But as you know, add one of the ingredients and the 'package' improves. You just need to add the 2nd part to complete the experience. ;) 

That is EXACTLY why I got the 4drive - I had a tuned Saab 9-3 Aero before that was FWD and had over 300bhp and it struggled to launch and put the power down.

My Saab mechanic always told me "you need AWD to put all this on the road" and it ****ed me off that on the traffic light grand prix I was owned by pretty much any a) AWD car or b) light car.

When I got the Skoda there was no 4drive Cupra and the old (prefacelift) interior put me a bit off, but... Yet again it was a pain to launch the VRS.

The whole axle tramp debacle annoyed the crap out of me, so after a long test drive with the 4drive, I had to have one.

Around a track, FWD might be faster but on everyday life (rain and snow included) the extra power and weight at the rear helps immensely - it just is better to live with.

If Skoda ever puts out an Octavia with AWD and a sporty package, they will have me back. The Superb is a great car but too big for my taste and not nimble anymore.

The Cupra just loves to be thrown around, and drives much, much better than the Skoda when driven on the edge.

• Thanks 1

AWD is great for that 1% of the time when you want to return to boyhood at the lights or pull away on a hill in the snow we get once every three years, then crash when you think you can stop as well, only joking! Unfortunately the rest of the time - 99% - your lugging fuel and performance wasting excess baggage  around. Probably why F1 cars are always rwd. I have had at least one 4wd permanently for the last 10 years and currently have none, and don't miss them. Just put winter tyres on my 2wd. And theres 4wd and 4wd. The Skoda and seat version is front wheel drive that only kicks in when slip is detected. I found it wasn't as good as the proper 40/60 quattro system which drives like a rwd not a fwd. The fwd leon cupra leaves the 4wd golf and leon behind above 20 mph fairly easily.

Edited by teescom09
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

AWD is great for that 1% of the time when you want to return to boyhood at the lights or pull away on a hill in the snow we get once every three years, then crash when you think you can stop as well, only joking! Unfortunately the rest of the time - 99% - your lugging fuel and performance wasting excess baggage  around. Probably why F1 cars are always rwd. I have had at least one 4wd permanently for the last 10 years and currently have none, and don't miss them. Just put winter tyres on my 2wd. And theres 4wd and 4wd. The Skoda and seat version is front wheel drive that only kicks in when slip is detected. I found it wasn't as good as the proper 40/60 quattro system which drives like a rwd not a fwd. The fwd leon cupra leaves the 4wd golf and leon behind above 20 mph fairly easily.

You do know how Haldex works, right? :)

...it is far from permanent - under normal driving it is 90% to the front 

11 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

AWD is great for that 1% of the time when you want to return to boyhood at the lights or pull away on a hill in the snow we get once every three years, then crash when you think you can stop as well, only joking! Unfortunately the rest of the time - 99% - your lugging fuel and performance wasting excess baggage  around. Probably why F1 cars are always rwd. I have had at least one 4wd permanently for the last 10 years and currently have none, and don't miss them. Just put winter tyres on my 2wd. And theres 4wd and 4wd. The Skoda and seat version is front wheel drive that only kicks in when slip is detected. I found it wasn't as good as the proper 40/60 quattro system which drives like a rwd not a 4wd. The fwd leon cupra leaves the 4wd golf and leon behind above 20 mph fairly easily.

This is exactly why I chose a 1,370kg Octavia manual hatch because the DSG adds 25kg and the Estate body another 25kg. So the estate with DSG starts with a 50kg disadvantage all the time wasting fuel accelerating and braking, feeling heavier going round corners and even wearing out tyres sooner for the very rare occasion you need a tiny bit more space. Use the cruise control and lane assist on the motorway if you feel tired/lazy and the 245 pretty well drives itself. Power to weight is critical as Colin Chapman realised a long time ago and the best handling cars are nearly always the lightest with probably the exception being the Nissan GTR which appera to defy the laws of physics round a track.:blink:

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word

Yes I explained it? Nearer 97% to front.  The crown gear system used on larger Quattro Audi's and some VW's is very different with a permanent 40:60 when no slip is present then increases front or back to suit traction. There have been many quattro systems

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

Quickest Octavia around town can be the Taxi regardless of just a driver fat or slim and the size of the passengers.

Colin Chapman was not considering Bus / Taxi lanes back when....

Maufacturers ditched spare wheels to save weight/fuel to improve emissions.:biggrin: