DIY DSG oil change.

I've decided to do the oil change myself, old car, slot of miles on it, pretty expensive to let a shop do it. £300! 

I want to cut prices and order a cheaper alternative to the OEM VW oil. I've seen really cheap prices for Mannol oil? Is that familiar for someone? If not Mannol what have you tried? And filter, maybe best to buy from vw? 

Thanks!

I did my own earlier this year.  I went for the TripleQX fluid from ECP/ Catparts4less as it was on offer at the time. 

I just used the filter that they sell too.

DSG gearboxes have been about for over 15 years now.  If non VAG fluid caused problems I'm sure that it would be lots of discussion on various forums.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?522776201&0&cc5_871

Use code FALL15 for an extra 15% off. It brings the total for the oil to £42.

It's pretty trivial to change the oil yourself.  I'm really not sure why there is such superstition around doing it. 

• Like 1

Its not difficult to change the oil. Doing it properly requires VCDS (or similar) and a tool to insert into the bottom of the box (I have both).

You can do the drain, measure and refil which is fine providing it has the right amount of oil in it to start with.

Edited by Tech1e

Not in Sweden unfortunately. Maybe I should contact Skoda Sweden and ask why it isn't the same here :wondering:. I have the OBDeleven so I can see the gearbox temperatures. 

5 hours ago, softscoop said:

I did my own earlier this year.  I went for the TripleQX fluid from ECP/ Catparts4less as it was on offer at the time. 

I just used the filter that they sell too.

DSG gearboxes have been about for over 15 years now.  If non VAG fluid caused problems I'm sure that it would be lots of discussion on various forums.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?522776201&0&cc5_871

Use code FALL15 for an extra 15% off. It brings the total for the oil to £42.

It's pretty trivial to change the oil yourself.  I'm really not sure why there is such superstition around doing it. 

What brand is the TripleQX?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the oil and filters now, and I just have some minor questions. The fluid level pipe, has that been changed over the years? Like if it's been made longer allowing more fluid to stay in the gearbox or vice versa. 

Also I'm wondering if anyone knows the diameter of the oil filter inlet, so I can put a hose over it and use a funnel. (Not buying VWs expensive hose!) Can I just measure the oil filter hole? Since I have the filter ready to go in.

I've now changed the oil, no big problems. Although we didn't get the car completely level. I got out just under 4 litres of DSG fluid, 3,8 I think. And I refilled with 5 litres, and when opening bottom plug when the fluid was 35-38 degrees Celsius 8,5dl came out.

I've read that a bunch of other people landed on filling 4,5dl. So now I'm short on almost 4dl? I'm thinking that I can just add that now so I get 4,5litres new fluid in the gearbox. What do you people think?

I haven't test drived it yet. I'm gonna do oil replacement before. What are your experiences with the fluid level in a dq250? 

Many thanks in advance!

Update:

I did top it off with 5dl oil. So now I should have about 4,6Litres in it. Gear changes are much smoother than before, I don't get a jerk when putting it in d or r either, It did before oil change.

I wonder if there was too little oil in it before the change, when first draining I only got 3,8 litres out. 

I used Febi Bilstein oil. 

Thanks for all the help! :)

Edited by andreasw