Life and Times of an ex Trophy Favorit

Toonarf

Hi David.

Loving all this Favorit rallying thread.

Quick question. I am thinking of building my favorit into a rally car but it has a sunroof roof.

Do you think fitting a non sunroof skin is possible? I cant seem to see where the spot welds are for the roof and if i could just drill them out and fit a used skin off another car. I have not removed the trims at the edges of the roof and wondered if they are located there ?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Mark.

29 minutes ago, steeplejack said:

it has a sunroof roof

Sight unseen. Most UK Favorits (and Felicias) with sunroofs have a Britax or similar roof which was fitted by the UK importer. So they have a solid roof panel with a hole cut in it.

To reverse this process you'd need to either find an uncut roof panel, or make a suitable double skin panel and weld it into the hole (either method is legal by the Blue Book). What will be really hard (but not so important for a competition car) is finding an uncut roof liner.

On 18/03/2020 at 14:32, KenONeill said:

Sight unseen. Most UK Favorits (and Felicias) with sunroofs have a Britax or similar roof which was fitted by the UK importer. So they have a solid roof panel with a hole cut in it.

To reverse this process you'd need to either find an uncut roof panel, or make a suitable double skin panel and weld it into the hole (either method is legal by the Blue Book). What will be really hard (but not so important for a competition car) is finding an uncut roof liner.

Cheers for that Ken. What i wanted to do, was cat a roof off another car and drill the spot welds if there are any and then remove the roof skin on my car and fit the new roof. I will have to have a look behind the side roof trims and tailgate and windscreen openings to see if this is possible.

14 minutes ago, steeplejack said:

Cheers for that Ken. What i wanted to do, was cat a roof off another car and drill the spot welds if there are any and then remove the roof skin on my car and fit the new roof. I will have to have a look behind the side roof trims and tailgate and windscreen openings to see if this is possible.

I thought that, and was pretty sure from the way you wrote the question that you have the craft skills needed. What I wasn't sure of was that you knew how difficult finding the uncut roof panel was likely to be here.

• 3 years later...

Hi Toonarf

I was wondering how you are getting on with repairing H49 CFW. I used to help the owner maintain it back in 1999-2004 and my dad did a few events in the co driver seat.

Some information on the car and some of its rallying history is on eWRC Results.https://www.ewrc-results.com/cms/plates.php?plate=89558. which i help out on so anymore information you can add let me know.

Some pics

Regards

rallyyork2002.jpg

rallyyork2002_1.jpg

rallyyork2002_2.JPG

seaking2002.jpg

seaking2002_1.jpg

seaking2002_2.jpg