Life and Times of an ex Trophy Favorit

Toonarf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I am still on with Project H49 but recently and life the cold spell have got in the way and slowed progress, but hopefully I am back on with things. Tonight I broke the out wire wheel out to clear the paint from the front end of the cill, to weld a mudflap mounting bracket. The first picture shows the holes revealed. In the past few weeks I have replaced the petrol and brake pipes and refitted some front calipers that I overhauled.

In other news I am now the part owner of another rally Favorit, this time a very early car. It is going to need a full restoration, it needs cills floor pans and rear wheel arches. It also needs a roof because it has had a light roll in its recent past. The windscreen hole appeats to be the wrong shape as well. As is always the case it was local, not!, it required a quick 720 mile round trip to Inverness to collect. The third picture is copied from a 1989 magazine and shows the car with its famous driver.

The final photos are from its days competeing in the Trophy after it was sold by Skoda Motorsport to Skoda UK and then onto its first registered owner. It was originally registered as an age related F reg.

Thanks for Looking

David

20190211_190437alt.jpg

20190113_102942alt.jpg

20190110_141838alt.jpg

31481111162_9a55c392b1_b.jpg

FB_IMG_1547070902683.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, CWARD said:

You really are a glutton for punishment 

Thats one way of putting it.

11 hours ago, KenONeill said:

OK, I've heard of John Haugland obviously, but who's this "Colin McCrash" guy? ;-)

The McRea  in the photo is actually the late great Colin's Dad Jimmy.

Cheers David                                                                       t 

12 hours ago, Toonarf said:

Thats one way of putting it.

The McRea  in the photo is actually the late great Colin's Dad Jimmy.

Cheers David                                                                       t 

Aye, Jimmy is one of the guys who got me into rallying.

Hi Everyone

So I left things last time with the revelation of a frilly cill end at the near side oh joy. The cill is rusty inside and will need copious quantities of waxoyl to preserve it for as long as possible. Back to the repairs, firstly I inserted a patch panel to repair the area bordered in orange on the first picture. I did this to test the weldability of the cill, if it was too thin to weld it was beyond help and I would have to replace it. The second picture shows the repair whilst grinding the welds back.

Back to the first picture the 2 areas circled in red are 2 small rot spots I will sort with micro patches, with the end of the cill shown with the green line showing the approximate size of that repair part needed, this repair piece will also need a return to weld to the front face of the cill closing panel referred below.

The third picture shows the panel I formed to close the front end of the cill. This was the part that drew my attention to this rot in the first place.

The forth picture shows the part being trial fitted.

The fifth photo is with the cill closeing panel welded in and trail fitting the wing.

The last period photo is a thumbs up from Tim Green.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

David

20190211_190437altalt.jpg

20190213_190146alt.jpg

20190216_183344alt.jpg

20190213_200343alt.jpg

20190216_183409alt.jpg

FB_IMG_1540934485816.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stratosg said:

What an amazing thread. I really like reading it and feel jealous for lacking your skills. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Stratosg. They are simple skills that I have picked up over the years. There are far better car rebuilders out there than I am and I stand in awe of thier skills........................... There are a lot of video's on Youtube both professional and amateur which are worth watching, and some not worth watching .....you can learn from them all.

I suppose its all relative. The repair I have enjoyed most was the rear arch, that was a satisfying repair. Any car I am interested in always gets the rear arches felt early in any inspection. H49s near side was nasty.......and so much better when I had finished. The rest of the repairs are letting patches into panels that ideally I should replace. If I did that the restoration would take years and so it would be years before I can enjoy using it. The ex works car I have just bought will be completely stripped and rebuilt properly whilst I use H49. 

I keep the picture below on the wall in the garage it is what I wish & hope I could achieve.

Cheers David

rally-cars-33978_1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

No welding this weekend ........I am off to Race Retro https://www.raceretro.com/ supporting Simon Daly with A13 FAV. If anyone is going come over and say hello I will be near the Rally Rides all weekend.

Pictures tonight of A13 FAV, first is a Stage start on the 1993 RAC which was the cars last rally as a Works car, and is the livery the car now carries. The second photo is of the car in its trophy guise owned and driven by Carl Stevens. The last picture is at last years Race Retro where the car was on static display. This year we hope to be demonstrating it and using it for rally rides. So a Favorit being used in anger........

Cheers

David

fav rac alt.jpg

IMG-20180225-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20180222-WA0006alt.jpg

• Like 2

Just found this. I had a Favorit when I was 19, 21 years ago and that was rusty then! I forget how old these are and I suppose how old I am too. 

This is a great read and I shall follow keenly now. 

Just a note to above comments though, I believe that Jimmy McRae is alive and kicking!

Kirkynut 

Hi Everyone

An update on H49 later tonight or perhaps tomorrow. 

In the mean time here is Jimmy McRea giving it large on Saturday or Sunday.

and a couple of photos from the weekend of A13 FAV, coincidentally note the names on the wing of the Peugeot  car parked behind FAV in parc ferme 

20190223_172210.jpg

IMG-20190224-WA0010.jpg

• Like 1

It's great to see one still being used like this.  It was the way I read it I think in respect of Colin and Jimmy! I think I was tired!

I must get to Race Retro next year and see these in the metal. 

Kirkynut 

9 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I'd associate Jimmy more with the Chevette HS(R), and Ascona and Manta 400s than with a Firenza.

Me too, Jimmy and Russell Brookes slugging it out to be top Brits on all the big rallies in Chevettes Sunbeams and the Opels. Great stuff!

Cheers

David

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the recent comments both about the build and last weekend, anyway back to welding……..

Tonight I spent butt welding the repair panel that I have made to the front edge of the cille and around the cille end closing panel which I fitted the other night. I will let the photos do the talking.

Photo 1 shows the repair panel during manufacture I bent a piece of metal to the profile of the cille and then turned a small flange on what would be the front face. To this small flange I welded a fillet to create the shape shown. It is clamped to my welding trolley which as you can see is re purposed. I found it, phoned the owner who declined to collect it, so I found a use for it.

Photo 2 shows the front flange cut down to the correct size after I had cleaned the welds back.

Photo 3 shows a trial fit held in place with my new magnets.

Photo 4 shows the panel with the excess now cut from the cille side. I find it makes life much easier with parts like this to make parts over size and cut them down, rather than struggling with small parts which are harder to hold , weld, grind etc.

Photo 5 is of the part being welded in. I had quickly dressed the vertical weld back to check everything.

Photo 6 is with the panel fully fitted and the top triangle tacked in place to mark the position of the captive nut which will hold the bottom of the wing.

Photo 7 is of the triangle removed to to fit the captive nut in the centre of the circle.

The final photo tonight is with H49 along with H288 XES with its green bumpers. Supposedly A13 FAV is in the background but under its first UK registration number of L910 ORP. The event is the 1994 or 1995 RAC rally. H288 XES is still about as well although it needs a full body rebuild.

Thanks for looking and do please comment.

David

20190220_192812.jpgalt.jpg

20190225_191944.jpgalt.jpg

20190225_191851.jpgalt.jpg

20190225_192723.jpgalt.jpg

20190225_200546.jpgalt.jpg

20190227_194419.jpgalt.jpg

20190227_194549.jpgalt.jpg

c4fa66c60bf0e7ea0251643afcd38014.0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Firstly apologies for a lack of updates recently, I got busy and couldn't find the time to update. The welding is however almost finished and I will put up the last instalment soon. I am currently removing the engine, it has a high antifreeze content in the sump and a very rattly timing chain. So a quick rebuild and freshen up is called for.

So to the reason for this post. 

You might recall that in early January we had a small road trip to Inverness to collect another ex works Favorit. The car came with a huge spares package including another Favorit rally car. Last weekend had been pencilled in for the return trip the first picture shows the start of the trip home, we took the picture then before the snow got worse.....which it did.

The car as shown in the picture contained 5 gear boxes and 2 engines along with a large pile of spares hence the lowered stance.

The second picture is back in Lancashire after a quick steam clean to remove some of the green mold. The number A13 SKO had been transferred before we got the car.

The last pictures are the stripdown of one of the engines, we knew it had blown up but wanted to hopefully save the head and the cam, it was supposed to be a quick engine. Its certainly light weight now. The head is good and saveable, I fear the cam may have opened its last valve....................

The engine let go on a stage but carried on running for about a mile to the end of the stage.

Thanks for looking 

David

20190310_094329alt.jpg

20190311_104118.jpg

20190313_124708alt.jpg

20190313_130013alt.jpg

20190313_124723alt.jpg

20190313_133308alt.jpg

Edited by Toonarf
typos
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love this thread David!

You will know how much i love the Trophy cars, and nearly bought A13FAV off what we have discussed on Facebook!

Looking forward to seeing what else you get done!

Cheers

Steve

• 5 months later...

Keep up the good work David, it's great that you're saving these classics from the scrap yard. 

I was at Chatsworth for the 1994 RAC rally, and I'll always remember cheering on the Favorits. Sadly I can't find any of the pictures I took that day, maybe they'll turn up in the loft when I go for the Christmas decorations.. 

P. S: somewhere I've got an old, well worn Kent SK6 cam: PM me if you're interested. 

• 1 month later...