What does sport mode actually do?

What does sport mode do? I have a 2018 2.0t 220bhp front wheel drive.. seems to me is all it does it make the steering heavier.  I know it generally makes the gears change later, but if in normal and I plant the throttle the car will kick down 2 or 3 gears and rev to redline.. so is that any different from sport?  Any change in shifting, noise etc?? 

I believe it also improves throttle response. If you press on the "I" at the top of the screen, it will give you and idea of the changes. 

Edited by danmaca

It improves the throttle response and hold the gears longer. 

Yes if you plant your foot in normal mode it will still fly but I find you don't need to plant your foot as much in sport mode to get the same response. 

Definitely feels quicker, even though the power output is the same in either mode. 

• Like 1

On 03/11/2018 at 20:31, freelunch said:

No. I presumed you had DCC when you said "Sport Mode" and the steering got heavier. Are you referring to flicking back the automatic selector between sport and drive? 

No, selecting sport mode on the centre console button. 

Drive mode is selectable without dcc. It affects the throttle curve, steering weight, air con and fake exhaust sound. It can also allow coasting in a day model.

12 minutes ago, DjEatch said:

Drive mode is selectable without dcc. It affects the throttle curve, steering weight, air con and fake exhaust sound. It can also allow coasting in a day model.

I didn't realise this. I just assumed that a Sport Mode would give you a stiffer suspension, too. I had to go back and read the manual. I see that the OP is not offered a Comfort Mode, either. Apologies.

• Like 1