Condensation Issue in Headlights

Hi,

We took the delivery of our Superb in January. Since day 1 it had these condensation issues. We ignored it at first thinking that it is caused to due to cold weather. Most of the driving was during day time so we kept on ignoring it. It used to show up after some minutes the headlights were switched on and it kept on increasing for as long as the headlights were kept on. We were driving late nights few months back, it covered like most of the headlight so we went to the dealership. They kept on making excuses like this is normal, we should not switch on headlights for more than an hour straight, no other car has this issue, this will be fixed via setting, we need to get more knowledge as in how to use the headligths. They did nothing for months. I knew someone from the management as the dealership harassed us during the sales phase also, he chipped in and the headlights were replaced, though I was pretty sure that they installed it after taking it out from an another car. Anyways the new one's are also showing signs of condensation now

Old headlights

14pjjb.png

29vxnp0.png

New Headlights

15yvfvn.png

27y30b5.png

In the new one's due to the lightening the intensity is being demonstrated to a lesser level in the photographs. They are clueless as in what exactly is causing this. What they did was they replaced it from a demo car. One of the dealership's guy spilled the beans about this when I pressed him. I again complained to Skoda, they sent an engineer he examined the car and said that it is normal and that the condensation won't cover it fully, even if it does it will let the light pass through due to the shape of the reflectors.

He had no answers why the other Superb's don't have this issue but he said that he can replicate the issue in like 10 minutes in any other car.

Now out of the again replaced headlights one of the headlights was manufactured in 2016 before the mfg date of the car. When I raised this point they said that they have replaced the headlights twice and they won't be doing anything as this is normal. The dealership sucks to the core but even Skoda would do this it was never expected. Check the manual page, it says that any mist formed will go away when the headlights are turned on but in our case it forms after the headlights are turned on and that too in any weather condition

24edw89.jpg

Headlights after 20-30 minutes drive with headlights at night

2m3r904.jpg

24m501t.jpg

After about 40-50 minutes drive

14sky8p.jpg

mm648y.jpg

The Skoda guy said the temperature inside is around 200 degrees and its vacuum so it causes condensation but they had no answer why only our car has this issue. It is happening every night, starts after about 20 minutes as seen in the photos above. It is happenening irrespective of the weather, the summers here are like 45-50 degrees Celsius and winters around 10 degrees Celsius. I thought the car washing might cause this so I am going for waterless wash since the past few months.

This condensation is not happening in other Skoda cars that I have seen not even in An Audi which has the same headlights.

There are some that say that it is normal and have that temperature thing as a reason for it BUT the others either don't have it or face it only during cold/hot weather. Even if I was facing it during change of climate then I would have been okay by it. But I face it every night. Moreover they look so bad :(

Read his point 5, now check the manual photo which I have posted above. It means that the condensation should go away after the headlights are turned on, but in my case it shows up only after they are switched on.

https://www.carlightblog.com/2014/06/24/fogging-the-ultimate-guide/

What should I do?

Thanks

Having the moisture appear only after the headlights are turned on might suggest that the heat that is being generated from the headlights being turned on is evaporating the moisture inside the headlight and causing it to condense on the lens. This would suggest to me that there is excessive moisture inside the headlights.

Have you driven through deep puddles, or experienced a prolonged period of wet weather? Do you jet wash the car, or the engine bay? Have you checked the back of the headlight for crash or impact damage, blocked venting tubes or missing parts?

I would imagine that if the source of the heat was maintained the moisture would eventually dissipate completely from out of the venting tubes. Have you tried driving with the dipped headlights on during a long journey?

Was the issue evident over the summer months, or has it just appeared now the temperatures have started to drop? If I'm reading your post correctly the issue appeared during the summer in temperatures in excess of 40 degrees Celsius? This might suggest that the headlights are sealed, thus preventing the moisture from escaping. I was on the understanding that they're vented, hence the allowance of some small amounts of temporary moisture build-up. Condensation at those temperatures would be enough evidence for me to pursue the dealer again. Swapping lights from another car (an older model) is unacceptable. You have cause for a genuine warranty claim for a set of the latest brand new headlights.

If you've exhausted all options with Skoda and the dealer I'd be tempted to remove the headlights (a big job, as the front bumper also needs removing) and take the headlights inside the house and keep them close to the boiler or radiator to properly dry them out.

As you've seen, small amounts of moisture are normal and is stipulated in the manual. The moisture in your headlights looks close to forming into droplets, which would suggest a leak.

or pop a couple of those little silica gel sachets you get with new shoes etc in through on of the removed bulbs so they sit inside the housing behind the reflectors so not visible, had this issue with my last mk2FL octy VRS, this worked a treat, never had a problem with condensation again! worth a try as it's a free fix!

20 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Having the moisture appear only after the headlights are turned on might suggest that the heat that is being generated from the headlights being turned on is evaporating the moisture inside the headlight and causing it to condense on the lens. This would suggest to me that there is excessive moisture inside the headlights.

Have you driven through deep puddles, or experienced a prolonged period of wet weather? Do you jet wash the car, or the engine bay? Have you checked the back of the headlight for crash or impact damage, blocked venting tubes or missing parts?

I would imagine that if the source of the heat was maintained the moisture would eventually dissipate completely from out of the venting tubes. Have you tried driving with the dipped headlights on during a long journey?

Was the issue evident over the summer months, or has it just appeared now the temperatures have started to drop? If I'm reading your post correctly the issue appeared during the summer in temperatures in excess of 40 degrees Celsius? This might suggest that the headlights are sealed, thus preventing the moisture from escaping. I was on the understanding that they're vented, hence the allowance of some small amounts of temporary moisture build-up. Condensation at those temperatures would be enough evidence for me to pursue the dealer again. Swapping lights from another car (an older model) is unacceptable. You have cause for a genuine warranty claim for a set of the latest brand new headlights.

If you've exhausted all options with Skoda and the dealer I'd be tempted to remove the headlights (a big job, as the front bumper also needs removing) and take the headlights inside the house and keep them close to the boiler or radiator to properly dry them out.

As you've seen, small amounts of moisture are normal and is stipulated in the manual. The moisture in your headlights looks close to forming into droplets, which would suggest a leak. 

Thanks for replying.

But they did change the headlights twice, although the first time they replaced it with the demo car’s headlights and for the second time they did install a two year one. So, I think the moisture is somewhere else. Right?

Have you driven through deep puddles, or experienced a prolonged period of wet weather? Do you jet wash the car, or the engine bay?

No. Infact I have not washed the car since the past 4-5 months, just cleaning it with ONR. The problem is occurring from day one.

Have you checked the back of the headlight for crash or impact damage, blocked venting tubes or missing parts?

The dealership checked it for damages once I looped in Skoda. About blocked venting tubes they didn’t check. Missing parts as in? Sorry didn’t get that.

How can we maintain heat in this case? Are the venting tubes inside the headlights?

Yes once, as I tend not to because if the condensation covers up the whole headlight and blocks the view so it would be bad. It covers up the headlight as shown in the photos and it completely vanishes the next day.

Was the issue evident over the summer months, or has it just appeared now the temperatures have started to drop? If I'm reading your post correctly the issue appeared during the summer in temperatures in excess of 40 degrees Celsius? This might suggest that the headlights are sealed, thus preventing the moisture from escaping. I was on the understanding that they're vented, hence the allowance of some small amounts of temporary moisture build-up. Condensation at those temperatures would be enough evidence for me to pursue the dealer again.

I am from India. I got the car in January. The temperature during that time of the year is around 10-20 degrees Celsius. I was thinking that it might be due to the weather so kept on ignoring it. But it happened during summers, autumn also. It happens every time we switch on the headlights despite the weather.

Swapping lights from another car (an older model) is unacceptable. You have cause for a genuine warranty claim for a set of the latest brand new headlights.

You have no idea about the dealership here. They are the only Skoda dealer in my state and all they do right from the sales phase is harass customers. We got out of that phase, thanks to good people in Skoda. But their harassment didn’t stop, did you read their excuse that we need to get more knowledge as in how to use the headlights? Then swapped headlights from the demo car saying that they are the new one’s. Skoda India isn’t willing to take strict action here because like I have mentioned there is no other Skoda dealer in my state.

I was given the same advice somewhere else. Again the same question, they did change the headlights twice, although the first time they replaced it with the demo car’s headlights and for the second time they did install a two year one. So, do you think removing headlights and drying them out is the solution here?

As you’ve seen, small amounts of moisture are normal and is stipulated in the manual. The moisture in your headlights looks close to forming into droplets, which would suggest a leak.

The manual also says that if there is mist/condensation it should go away after we switch on the headlights BUT in my case the mist/condensation forms after we switch on the headlights and goes away after some hours the headlights have been switched off.

Since the headlights have been replaced and the condensation is completely gone the very next morning so I think that the issue is in some other part/component. The dealership is not interested in finding out. What should I do?

P.S. Once I was driving at night after it stopped raining. There was some water on the road and by the time I reached home the headlights looked like this

3347yb7.jpg

b82q0x.jpg

When I explained them the issue for the first time and shared the photos, they said how can I prove that the photos belong to my car as the license plate is not visible. What a shame. People here love Skoda and its cars but these kinda dealerships are ruining the brand's image.

Edited by akop4040

20 hours ago, The Skud said:

or pop a couple of those little silica gel sachets you get with new shoes etc in through on of the removed bulbs so they sit inside the housing behind the reflectors so not visible, had this issue with my last mk2FL octy VRS, this worked a treat, never had a problem with condensation again! worth a try as it's a free fix!

Thanks for replying. This was the first DIY point that I found on the internet. They did change the headlights twice, although the first time they replaced it with the demo car’s headlights and for the second time they did install a two year one. So, do you think removing headlights and drying them out or using silica gel sachet is the solution here? I think the issue is with some other part/component.

The headlights are supplied as a complete unit, no other component will be affecting the condensation, other than the headlight itself, unless of course something obvious like the wheel arch liner or engine under-tray are missing or broken, which is exposing the back of the headlight to more water than normal.

I think the issue isn't unique to you, or India, it seems the problem is quite widespread on the MkIII Superb...

Image result for mkIII skoda superb headlight

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

The headlights are supplied as a complete unit, no other component will be affecting the condensation, other than the headlight itself, unless of course something obvious like the wheel arch liner or engine under-tray are missing or broken, which is exposing the back of the headlight to more water than normal.

I think the issue isn't unique to you, or India, it seems the problem is quite widespread on the MkIII Superb...

Thank you. I actually checked almost all the threads related to this before posting my query here. Few questions now-

a. Since the headlight is one complete unit and has been replaced, although the first time they replaced it with the demo car’s headlights and for the second time they did install a two year one. As a last resort you have told me to open it up and dry it. What is the need of opening this unit if it was replaced? The moisture seems to be coming from somewhere else.

b. Almost every thread on this website is quoting the manual and saying that it is normal. Check the manual page, it says that any mist formed will go away when the headlights are turned on but in my case it forms after the headlights are turned on and that too in any weather condition/irrespective of the temperature. Is there anything that I can do, besides opening the headlights myself to fix it? Even this link point number 5 says the same https://www.carlightblog.com/2014/06/24/fogging-the-ultimate-guide/

c. Why is this condensation is not happening in any other Skoda and other VW brand cars which have the same headlights?

d. If the cause of the moisture was say water, then don't you think that it should have been evaporated after this much time?

Edited by akop4040

Xenon / HID headlights run much cooler than halogen bulbs. They don't generate the same amount of heat that would help to eliminate the condensation.

My 2018 Skoda Kodiaq has LED headlights which run even cooler than than the xenon's on the MkIII Superb, and my headlights mist-up too.

As mentioned there can only be two reasons the condensation is only appearing when you turn the headlights on...

1) The headlights are letting in water / holding excess moisture. The heat from the bulbs is evaporating the moisture and it is condensating on the lens. 

2) The heat from the bulbs is drawing in moist air which is cooling on the surface of the lens and condensating.

So, your lights have excess moisture in them and need drying out.

The million dollar question, "why do they have excess moisture in them?"

1) The climate in India is particularly humid?

2) The roads you drive on are full of deep puddles, regularly wet?

3) The car is regularly washed using a high pressure jet wash?

4) The engine bay has been washed or steam cleaned?

5) A wheelarch liner, engine under tray is missing / damaged?

6) The car is used infrequently and stood in a cold or damp environment

7) The headlights are damaged, cracked, or one of the access panels is loose or missing.

8) A design fault, their design is inherently flawed.

9) The headlights are rarely used and never get warm / hot to dry themselves out?

You could be experiencing a perfect storm of a lot or all of the possible causes?

If you have exhausted all options with your local dealer and Skoda India then you'll need to try and fix the issue yourself, if there is indeed an issue or fault.

Knowing the headlights are completely dry would be a good start.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2018 at 19:28, silver1011 said:

Xenon / HID headlights run much cooler than halogen bulbs. They don't generate the same amount of heat that would help to eliminate the condensation.

My 2018 Skoda Kodiaq has LED headlights which run even cooler than than the xenon's on the MkIII Superb, and my headlights mist-up too.

As mentioned there can only be two reasons the condensation is only appearing when you turn the headlights on...

1) The headlights are letting in water / holding excess moisture. The heat from the bulbs is evaporating the moisture and it is condensating on the lens. 

2) The heat from the bulbs is drawing in moist air which is cooling on the surface of the lens and condensating.

So, your lights have excess moisture in them and need drying out.

The million dollar question, "why do they have excess moisture in them?"

1) The climate in India is particularly humid?

2) The roads you drive on are full of deep puddles, regularly wet?

3) The car is regularly washed using a high pressure jet wash?

4) The engine bay has been washed or steam cleaned?

5) A wheelarch liner, engine under tray is missing / damaged?

6) The car is used infrequently and stood in a cold or damp environment

7) The headlights are damaged, cracked, or one of the access panels is loose or missing.

8) A design fault, their design is inherently flawed.

9) The headlights are rarely used and never get warm / hot to dry themselves out?

You could be experiencing a perfect storm of a lot or all of the possible causes?

If you have exhausted all options with your local dealer and Skoda India then you'll need to try and fix the issue yourself, if there is indeed an issue or fault.

Knowing the headlights are completely dry would be a good start.

Thanks for replying. Last few questions-

1. Are the headlights in your Kodiaq misiting up every night irrespective of the climate?

2. About your 2 reasons regarding condensation, they have been replaced and during day time they don't show even a drop of water.The windshield cleaner box is also empty. The roads on which I drive  are not having any moist air or something. Can this moisture occur due to temperature difference minus the water or moist air?

3. In long term can this moisture have any drastic effect on the headlight besides blocking the view if we use low beam?

The answer to your next 9 points is no except point 7 which as per the dealer is fine i.e. no crack or damage. Point 8 I think could be the reason as tons of people from all around the world are reporting but it is weird that the issue is happening in some cars only. Have checked few other Superb's and Kodiaq's in my city and they are mist free.

1. No, the headlights misted up a few times in the weeks after I bought the car. I suspect the excess moisture inside the headlights was collected during the cars time sat at the docks in Germany. It was also sat at the dealers here in the UK for several weeks before I was able to collect it.

They do mist up from time-to-time now, but only in really wet weather, or if I've washed the car recently.

2. I don't think you have an issue, some mist inside the headlight is normal. Don't let the comment in the manual about the condensation disappearing when the headlights are turned on worry you. I know the mist only appears when you turn on the lights in your situation.

3. As this thread demonstrates, there are owners all over the world suffering the same issue as you. They've learn to live with it and accepted it's a foible of the car.

There won't be any long term affects. Enjoy the car and try to forget about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 18:01, silver1011 said:

1. No, the headlights misted up a few times in the weeks after I bought the car. I suspect the excess moisture inside the headlights was collected during the cars time sat at the docks in Germany. It was also sat at the dealers here in the UK for several weeks before I was able to collect it.

They do mist up from time-to-time now, but only in really wet weather, or if I've washed the car recently.

2. I don't think you have an issue, some mist inside the headlight is normal. Don't let the comment in the manual about the condensation disappearing when the headlights are turned on worry you. I know the mist only appears when you turn on the lights in your situation. 

3. As this thread demonstrates, there are owners all over the world suffering the same issue as you. They've learn to live with it and accepted it's a foible of the car.

There won't be any long term affects. Enjoy the car and try to forget about it.

Thank you for replying. One final question, I read in some other forum that long term presence of this condensation will turn the part of the headlight where it occurs yellowish in color. Is there any way to avoid it because I am sure they won't cover it in warranty.

One thing which will always keep on bugging me is that none of the other Superb's or Kodiaq's atleast in my city are having condensed headlights except me.

I wish Skoda could atleast change the 2 year old headlight that they have installed but they have bowed down in front of the dealer who is their biggest dealer in the country in terms of numbers.

5 hours ago, akop4040 said:

Thank you for replying. One final question, I read in some other forum that long term presence of this condensation will turn the part of the headlight where it occurs yellowish in color. Is there any way to avoid it because I am sure they won't cover it in warranty.

One thing which will always keep on bugging me is that none of the other Superb's or Kodiaq's atleast in my city are having condensed headlights except me.

I wish Skoda could atleast change the 2 year old headlight that they have installed but they have bowed down in front of the dealer who is their biggest dealer in the country in terms of numbers.

Given what you've said I'd really look to dry out your current headlights yourself. It you really are unhappy with the situation, and are sure Skoda in India aren't going to support you any more, then this has to be your only option?

The alternative? Buy new headlights. The light clusters themselves aren't overly expensive. Assuming they're xenon's and not LED's then the high cost is all in the bulbs, igniter, ballasts and AFS module, which will all unbolt and fix back onto a new (watertight) headlight.

As for the longer term effects, if the excess moisture is prolonged, then yes it is possible the inside of the lens can discolour over time, see here...

IMG_0786.jpg

2 hours ago, Mickey43 said:

Happens in the winter to my car.  Goes away in the summer.

Seen it on other cars, most notably Audis .... and once on a Tesla!

It is happening every night in my case irrespective of the weather which is really very frustrating.

12 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Given what you've said I'd really look to dry out your current headlights yourself. It you really are unhappy with the situation, and are sure Skoda in India aren't going to support you any more, then this has to be your only option? 

The alternative? Buy new headlights. The light clusters themselves aren't overly expensive. Assuming they're xenon's and not LED's then the high cost is all in the bulbs, igniter, ballasts and AFS module, which will all unbolt and fix back onto a new (watertight) headlight.

As for the longer term effects, if the excess moisture is prolonged, then yes it is possible the inside of the lens can discolour over time, see here...

IMG_0786.jpg

Thanks. From where should I start to dry them out? I mean which part should I take a look at first?

Can't install new headlights because that would void the warranty, yes warranty related terms and conditions suck here.

Yes that discoloration+when I see the other condensed free Skoda's is what's bugging me. I am pretty sure they won't cover the discoloration here too in warranty.

You need to remove the front bumper before the headlights can be removed.

I know and I need to make some calls to friends to help me with that. After that part is done, where should I start the proceedings.

• 3 months later...

I had this in my headlights when I bought the car - I picked it up in February 2017 and it took a couple of months to clear fully

I think it'd built up from sitting on a forecourt in cold weather. It still does it now and again in horrid weather, but soon clears.

The headlights have vents in them because of the bi-xenon needing ventilation, so they are not sealed up from the elements.

I notice slight misting on mine along the bottom edge where there is an angle. Disappears when I drive or when weather warms up. 

I thought I got a bad one...But seems like it's not the case.