Karoq 1.5 TSi manual - 2nd gear flat spot ?

Rustyman

Totally agree, never had this before, 2nd gear 7mph it continues at 7mph, won't increase, this is not possible as fuel should be injected and it will increase speed, would love to see some rolling speed comparisons.

Also i've never stalled a car so much in my life.  Buy the DSG. 

As i said this has to be a software problem, the idle is lumpy as well. had the same engine in a A3 (S tronic) but it idled perfectly. 

Skoda are amazingly god so should be a question of time.

People have posted on this forum that have 1.5 TSI's with a DSG and they have died on them.

Not all drivers are mumpties and not able to drive a manual or DSG or to know when VW Group messed up.  

Maybe best to let employees of VW and Dealership employees blame the drivers for now,  as soon it will be them needing to come clean.

PS

It is sad that maybe a fatality is required before VW are required to accept Corporate Responsibility.

Maybe it will be a Dealership employee driving one of the 'Demonstrators' or a sales or customers car that will be the unlucky person 

that is going to come a cropper.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, darnell said:

1st 2 nd gear problems WHY DONT YOU GUYS GET A DSG

I resist the insult that this comment deserves. :wondering:

1. They already spent their money on a manual. Are you going to buy their car off them and give them what they paid?

2. DSG isn't to everyone's taste. They are crap at certain things, negotiating roundabouts, slow manoeuvring,  etc etc.

3. They cost more, a lot more.

4. They breakdown far more than manuals. And cost an eye watering amount to fix if/when they do.

5. DSG owners have also complained about the 1.5 tsi dying on them or refusing to pickup.

6. The problem is the engine, not the manual gearbox

7. The other more worrying problem is the refusal of Skoda and their dealers to acknowledge or fix this problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have had the same problem, l took ownership of my new Karoq aweek ago and this has happened 4 times. I contacted the Skoda dealer who explained l may need to change my driving habits but l insisted it get checked out. When l arrived at the dealership today it was explained to me that Skoda were aware of the problem and the ECR needed a software update, which they were working on.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2019 at 16:44, xman said:

I resist the insult that this comment deserves. :wondering:

1. They already spent their money on a manual. Are you going to buy their car off them and give them what they paid?

2. DSG isn't to everyone's taste. They are crap at certain things, negotiating roundabouts, slow manoeuvring,  etc etc.

3. They cost more, a lot more.

4. They breakdown far more than manuals. And cost an eye watering amount to fix if/when they do.

5. DSG owners have also complained about the 1.5 tsi dying on them or refusing to pickup.

6. The problem is the engine, not the manual gearbox

7. The other more worrying problem is the refusal of Skoda and their dealers to acknowledge or fix this problem. 

Have to agree that “Why dont you guys get a DSG” isnt at all helpful though obviously said tongue in cheek no doubt.

Having got a DSG Im not sure what you mean when you say they are crap at negotiating roundabouts? Ive not had any issues at all at roundabouts. Nor with slow manouvering,

Do they really breakdown far more than manuals? Can you provide a source to support that or is it your own impression?

The problem does appear to be with the engine, though more likely to be with the engine management system.....the DSG box seems to be able to manage whatever issue that is, better than most individuals using manual gearchange and so, may well be masking the issue.

I hope when VAG sort out a fix, it is applied to all 1.5tsi engines regardless of transmission type.

Edited by Breezy

No did not get anything written down :sad:

The sales manager went out to the work shop to see a mechanic because the intention was to go out with one to check the car, he came back with a peace of paper confirming the fault.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 21:43, Ducked said:

I have had the same problem, l took ownership of my new Karoq aweek ago and this has happened 4 times. I contacted the Skoda dealer who explained l may need to change my driving habits but l insisted it get checked out. When l arrived at the dealership today it was explained to me that Skoda were aware of the problem and the ECR needed a software update, which they were working on.

Watch this space.

Up date to explain what’s happened since my previous post.

Been in touch with Skoda UK who have phoned me numerous times regarding the problems with loss of power, l told them in no uncertain terms that it was a serious fault which could be life changing.

I now have a hire car parked along side my nice new Karoq which was arranged by Skoda UK, this will be until the software update becomes available.

Another worrying thing I was chatting to an x traffic officer today, after telling him about the problems l was having with the car, loss of power and just stopping for no reason. He said l could possibly be prosecuted if involved in an accident driving a car with a known fault and how would you stand with car insurance.

Which will be why Owners / Drivers that have told a Main Dealership they know they have a fault will be getting a courtesy / loaner car.

Those that think they have a car with 'characteristics' because that is what the Professionals in the Dealership or HQ told them do not know they have a faulty car.

VW Group know they have a potentially faulty car, and by now the DVSA / DfT in the UK should as well.

& EU Commissioners.

• 1 month later...

[email protected]

11:52 (10 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr Walton

Further to my email dated 11 March, regarding the software update to 1.5 Tsi engines.

Presently I do not have any further updates regarding the software release for the 1.5 Tsi engine, I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. As previously advised the software will be released any time in quarter two, so between April and June. I will follow up with you again on 19 April to confirm if there has been any progress on this matter.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards

So no update till June. My Karoq is sitting outside not been used for four weeks so angry.  

Similar tale here (except mine is a Superb 1.5 TSi); my dealer said last week, in response to my observing that we are pretty close to Q2 and therefore it might be expected that Skoda have more information or a better timeline, that he had no more information at all.

1 hour ago, driventodevon said:

Similar tale here (except mine is a Superb 1.5 TSi); my dealer said last week, in response to my observing that we are pretty close to Q2 and therefore it might be expected that Skoda have more information or a better timeline, that he had no more information at all.

I feel your pain 

What a disaster this "new" 1.5tsi engine is turning out to be.

More and more hearing the "end of June" story, as opposed to Q2, which hints they haven't got on top of the problem. Some users are reporting problems seems to be getting worse. So might turn into a flood of bad engines.

8 hours ago, xman said:

What a disaster this "new" 1.5tsi engine is turning out to be.

More and more hearing the "end of June" story, as opposed to Q2, which hints they haven't got on top of the problem. Some users are reporting problems seems to be getting worse. So might turn into a flood of bad engines.

If you think this is a disaster can’t wait to see what the implications of a vag FIX will bring!!!!!!!:movie:

I've seen no mention of it being anything other than fine in the Octavia, so I assume there's nothing wrong with the engine itself. It's the software is what I was told. It seems to be the Autumn 2018 launches which were designed to show decent mpg and pass WLTP, so that's the Karoq and the Superb.

I'm sure any programmer could have fixed it by last Christmas, but fixing it without affecting fuel consumption and WLTP (whatever that involves) is presumably a different story. 

^^^

Not wanting to start an internet myth, and as we know people only come to forums to complain, or so VW Group would like you to think.

Maybe search.

briskoda octavia 1.5tsi fault

See how many threads or posts might pop up.

*not every member on here is a new driver, never had a Skoda, VW, Seat or Audi before, and only complain...*

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/453838-octavia-sel=15-tsi-act-throttle-problemsp

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/464446-goodbye-octavia

Screenshot 2019-03-27 at 09.21.12.png

Edited by Skoffski

My 6 week old 1.5 TSI exhibits the same problems (bogging down in 2nd, kangarooing in first).  I went into Skoda today and the car is booked in next  Monday.  They advised a software update for the first gear issue has been released to dealers as of  Mon March 25th.  Let's hope it cures at least one of the problems...if not both.

• Like 1

Accidentally found this thread and decided to sign up. I don't own Karoq (yet) but had a chance to test drive one in Sweden last weekend. 1.5TSI with manual gearbox. Thought I completely forgot how to use manual (too much kangarooing, but only on 1st), but also there was a very strange silence and unresponsiveness from the engine on the roundabout on the second gear, so I had to quickly change to the 1st. That's definitely not normal even for a smaller petrol engine, I owned Peugeot 208 1.2 3cylinder 82hp as a first car and carry manual habits from that time.

Is this something to do with 2 cylinders shutdown? Or it's just the amount of fuel being injected? Also wondering if on neutral the engine revs better at such speed.