Towbar prep. What is done when built ?

clivecoo

21 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

I have a 1.5 SE L dsg. Reading the above looks like the only change is “Holder+Fan”, anyone know what this is?

tom

It will be somthing like this fits in front of radiator

image.png.25605c4030dd7d9224137261d62eca50.pnglibrary picture

Edited by patrolman

This is what a grill with cooling mods looks like - the vertical slots are about 4" tall (not 6" as I said above). They are about 1" for the standard grill.

On the fan the 'DA' is the significant part of the part number. Obviously these are for the 2.0 TDI - part numbers might differ for other engines.

New Grill 2.jpg

20181124_095113.jpg

16 minutes ago, JohnD5314 said:

This is what a grill with cooling mods looks like - the vertical slots are about 4" tall (not 6" as I said above). They are about 1" for the standard grill.

On the fan the 'DA' is the significant part of the part number. Obviously these are for the 2.0 TDI - part numbers might differ for other engines.

New Grill 2.jpg

20181124_095113.jpg

I'm planning on just fitting the grill at the moment my caravan is light weight so I will see how it goes

2 hours ago, JohnD5314 said:

New Grill 2.jpg

20181124_095113.jpg

Not sure about the above.  My SE L without towbar prep has a grill just like the above. I can get four fingers easily in the slots. 

Tom

Is there a code on the data sticker in the boot to say you have towbar prep as mine does not have a black cover on the fan it just steal with two stickers on with no code 

DSC_0165.jpg

Edited by skoda1982

Funnily enough I don't have a data sticker in the boot or service book (I looked when I bought the car), as Skoda have all that data. If you ring Skoda Customer Services and give them your VIN they can tell you exactly what your car has.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2019 at 16:02, patrolman said:

Coincidentally I’ve been looking in to a tow bar for my vehicle , yes the oem bar is made by   Westfalia but you can’t get one other than via TPS and this is the electric drop down type I contacted Westfalis in Bristol there uk head office and although it’s listed it’s not avalable yet and this is for both types electric and detachable they referred my to P H Jones and they quoted for a Brink detachable dedicated wiring and programming fitted at home 

£623 all in ,

I have spoken to the tech people at VW via work and it seems the issue of the cooling fan wich goes from 3.3 kw to 5 kw is not clear which vehicles it affects ,general consensus is it’s small engined vehicles that require more cooling as some one here has found out the dealers are in the dark as well 

Very helpful thread, thank you.  I am assuming the need for an updated cooling fan is to do with coping with heavy towing loads, so if I become the owner of a 2.0D and want a tow bar to put a bicycle rack or perhaps a v small trailer for bicycles for the occasional trip, I shouldn’t be too concerned about the fan upgrade if I don’t have the factory prep, and could go down an aftermarket route? 

On 17/11/2018 at 07:44, clivecoo said:

I've ordered the towbar prep option on my soon ? to be built Karoq. 

I did not go for the full towbar fit as I may not require it, but decided to get the prep option in case I need to tow a trailer at a later date. I currently can use a van for transporting my toys  (motorcycles ) and general  big stuff.

Does anyone know what the actual prep details are during the build ? Possibly electrics. Any bracketry etc . And would I have to use skoda kit to later fit the towbar  ?

I asked this question when I got my first Yeti. SUK were their usual unhelpful selves so I contacted Skoda CZ. The reply I got wasn't much better, in fact I got more information from the Yeti forum than from both of them. I suspect the same information applies to the Karoq.

1. The additional cables are added to the wiring loom.

2. Some said that a heavy duty battery was fitted.

3. Some said that additional cooling was fitted. (larger or more fans?)

4. This possibly may not apply to the KAROQ. The rear bumper cut is not done and has to be cut by the Tow Bar fitter.

5. Recoding had to be done after fitting.

BUT best option is to order a factory fitted tow bar. The additional price is relatively small when added to the purchase price and cannot be matched by any after market fitter.. You might even be able to negotiate for it to be added FOC by the dealer!

*Remember this applied to a  Yeti.

Fred

On 28/01/2019 at 10:52, RossKH said:

Very helpful thread, thank you.  I am assuming the need for an updated cooling fan is to do with coping with heavy towing loads, so if I become the owner of a 2.0D and want a tow bar to put a bicycle rack or perhaps a v small trailer for bicycles for the occasional trip, I shouldn’t be too concerned about the fan upgrade if I don’t have the factory prep, and could go down an aftermarket route? 

Given the table from Skoda breaks out the requirement for the modifications between hot countries and not hot countries, does suggest the changes are needed in an attempt to control engine and / or gearbox temperatures.

For the UK (i.e. not for hot countries), and given you're only towing a small trailer or bike rack then I'd be inclined to suggest that fitting an aftermarket towbar, without also retrofitting the fan, holder and grill, you won't see any issues...

image.thumb.png.e22be31f420927756b6d1c20178bc0df.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In hot countries the cooling mods are already done, regardless of whether you have tow bar prep.

You need to remember that Skoda will take some convincing that you did only carry/tow light things and therefore didn't need cooling upgrades. 

Edited by JohnD5314

Skoda won't need convincing.

Irrespective of the factory upgrades, or the changes required for a genuine tow bar at a franchised main dealer, the car in it's delivered configuration is homologated for towing.

As long as an aftermarket tow bar is fitted to an homologated vehicle in accordance with the tow bar manufacturers guidelines then Skoda UK would have a hard time refuting a genuine warranty claim.

Slightly off topic

we renewed our Karoq's insurance and when looking for quotes found that some insurance companies state that after market towbars are a modification to your vehicle and therefore you have to declare it if not fitted in the factory, must admit that surprised me but it actually mentioned modifications ie towbar.  Not sure if it would affect the price but if you don't declare it your insurance could be null and void if they so wish to be awkward.  I presume they may believe the risk is higher for fire if there have been changes to the electrics.

33 minutes ago, womanofkent said:

Slightly off topic

we renewed our Karoq's insurance and when looking for quotes found that some insurance companies state that after market towbars are a modification to your vehicle and therefore you have to declare it if not fitted in the factory, must admit that surprised me but it actually mentioned modifications ie towbar.  Not sure if it would affect the price but if you don't declare it your insurance could be null and void if they so wish to be awkward.  I presume they may believe the risk is higher for fire if there have been changes to the electrics.

Yes, I declared mine and it was 'noted' at no extra charge.

• Like 1

I always thought all extras, even manufacturer installed had to be declared as well as modifications. I don’t remember been charged extra unless it was performance upgrades 

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:32, silver1011 said:

Skoda won't need convincing.

Irrespective of the factory upgrades, or the changes required for a genuine tow bar at a franchised main dealer, the car in it's delivered configuration is homologated for towing.

As long as an aftermarket tow bar is fitted to an homologated vehicle in accordance with the tow bar manufacturers guidelines then Skoda UK would have a hard time refuting a genuine warranty claim.

Surely the whole point of the document reproduced above is Skoda saying that the standard vehicle delivered from the factory is not suitable for towing. Therefore if you tow without their specified mods I think it is highly likely they will dispute a claim for damage that might be traced back to towing without mods.

The document isn't for public consumption though, it is an internal document designed to support Skoda's dealer network in identifying which parts are needed in the event of retrofitting a genuine OEM factory supplied tow bar.

If a homologated car has specific exceptions around having an aftermarket tow bar fitted, then Skoda need to make this information publicly available, either through the owners manual or via their dealer network, neither of which I am aware exists?

There are plenty of examples where UK-based Skoda franchised main dealers have happily subcontracted a local tow bar fitter to fit a tow bar to a number of different homologated vehicles without requiring cooling or body panel modifications.

If Skoda wanted to eliminate, or at least minimise the risk of overheating in the event someone fits a tow bar to their homologated cars, then they should all leave the factory with the 'hot climate' modifications.

As they've chosen not to do this (likely due to cost reasons), nor to tell their dealers, or their customers of any additional requirements, then in the event of a warranty claim they're on dodgy grounds for a refusal.

My knowledge on the homogenisation process is severely limited, but you'd hope that by gaining approval and becoming homologated the car would be fit to tow as is.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hi all, I bought a 19 plate 2.0 TDI 4x4 Edition. I paid to have the Tow Bar prep, as like many I see reading this comments page have.

I've read with great interest that someone has found out the the Prep INCLUDES the Cooling system fittings (Really glad about that, from what I've read in comments regarding the troubles if you haven't!)

I see the member called CWARD (who appears to be from near me seems to know his stuff and I suspect works within Skoda maybe?)  might be able to point me to a reputable Tow Bar fitter in West Yorkshire.

I did contact the dealer I bought the car from, the Sales guy is really helpful and I'm lucky in that they dealership have been great.... however

I asked for a price to fit a tow bar and this was the Service managers response

"Tow bar fitted price is £994, In addition to this we have to inspect the cooling fan to check if it requires upgrading, if it requires upgrading it is an additional £415"

After calling a local tow bar fitter who said around £650 (without knowing I'd had the prep done) , I found Skoda's  prices way too expensive

I think I'm swaying to the P H Jones option unless you can tell me different?

P/S I'm only looking to tow a light/ med weight trailer most of the time, no caravans!

@Chris11jj couldn’t be further from my job. I don’t work for Skoda,  I'm actually am accountant but worked on motorbikes since I was a kid and later on cars. Being a Yorkshireman with Scottish parentage I don’t like paying someone to a job that I can do myself and I actually enjoy doing it properly. 

The mechanically part of installing the tow bar frame is actually very easy and the connecting the wiring up to a tow bar prepared car is also very easy if you wanted to do it yourself. The Westfalia tow bar and electrics come with very good instructions. 

That only leaves the module to be activated for the dedicated electrics which needs to be coded. I used a local lad in Dewsbury to do mine as well as adding more functions not related to the tow bar. 

Alternatively I would contact PF Jones who can fit it for you. Their main place is Wigan which is just over an hour away. 

• Like 1

Cheers CWARD, very helpful,

I'm similar we do all sorts of "tinkering", I've a Classic MX5 Mk1 i'm restoring and other bits  so know what you mean

My only concern was about affecting warranties, hence wondering about using a business to do it.

Does the Westfalia come with what appears to be a simple plug to connect in the boot then?

I'll give PF Jones and see what they can offer...

The wiring part you need for the electrics isn’t listed on their website hence to give them a call. The part you need is effectively the 13 pin plug to the module. It comes as part of the dedicated wiring kit but they can provide it separate and it’s cheaper too. 

It is a very easy piece to fit. Remove the rubber plug that goes into the boot along with the inner boot trim, module is normally fitted behind the left wheel arch.  Pass the module connection through the hole and connect to the module. Fit the rubber seal that is moulded onto the wire into the hole where the rubber plug was fitted. Connect the 13 pin plug to the tow bar bracket.