New Superb with pitted windows and chromes

Picked up my new Superb and during first ride in sunny weather noticed glitter on the windshield.

it occured its pitted. Same with headlights, side windows, sunroof and chromes. Quite devastating experience. Notified dealer as soon as I noticed that (3 days after pickup). They state its manufacturers fault and that when car waited for WLTP they must have damaged it or during mfg process.

wondering if anyone who picked up his Skoda lately noticed similar damage on car? 

I’m heavily disappointed as I did not expect something like that in a new car. Pictures dont show it fully but when driving towards sunlight it’s really disturbing. 

At first they thought it’s some debris from trees but after that checked it thoroughly and realized these are microdamages. Wondering if it’s even possible to polish pits or they will need to replace everything?

F23F3524-D191-4D1A-A389-FF54D18E6AB7.jpeg

ACE8D47F-9F87-45B7-8B36-F99B3E8A9E65.png

Edited by JamesEnfield
  • Thanks 1

Looks like fallout of some kind.   I can't see how a manufacturing defect would exist on plastic trim, sunroof and glass as they will be made in different factories.  It looks like the car, once manufactured was exposed to whatever it is. 

A good detail and and application or iron fallout remover, a citrus based cleaner and then claying the car should sort it. (I would hope!) 

1 hour ago, JamesEnfield said:

I’m heavily disappointed as I did not expect something like that in a new car.

+1

it's just beginning, open link in my signature :(

complete list is 2x longer, but were removed by forum administrators
https://www.drive2.ru/r/skoda/480808189562978872/

Edited by MartiniB

30 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Looks like fallout of some kind.   I can't see how a manufacturing defect would exist on plastic trim, sunroof and glass as they will be made in different factories.  It looks like the car, once manufactured was exposed to whatever it is. 

A good detail and and application or iron fallout remover, a citrus based cleaner and then claying the car should sort it. (I would hope!) 

Will clay help with holes/pits in glass?

Personally I would reject the car, I know it is a big hassle but as was mentioned earlier something external has happened and are they going to completely respray the whole car, replace the glass, all the trims etc. More importantly what may occur later. How would you feel about a car so drastically repaired?

Edited by Danny 57
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, JamesEnfield said:

Will clay help with holes/pits in glass?

Yes you can clay glass, you can do the alloys, body, trim too 

Personally I’d take the car to the dealer and demand they sort it. It obviously hasn’t been prepared.  Cars can sit around for a while, once they’ve left the factory, and are exposed to all kind of organic/metallic fallout.  Cars are often transported by train too so lots of airborne metallic filings.  

It looks more like tree sap on your car though. Which easily ‘bakes on’. A strong citrus based bug/tar remover will remove the majority of it. 

I seen my first Sportline, in the compound, the day after it was delivered to the dealer. It looked an absolute mess. I picked it up 3 weeks later and it had been well prep’d by the dealer and looked like the brand new, pristine car I was hoping for. 

Edited by penguin17

When you go to the dealer, take a look around... are there any trees near or overhanging where cars are parked? 

It may have been cleaned then parked up under a tree, waiting for collection. 

Ive seen similar debris on other cars at dealer store but none of them was that much damaged.

I filed complaint (in written) with expectation to either replace windshield and other windows or car if such is not possible without value loss (e.g. if they cant fix it to look as from factory)

they checked it under microscope and these are holes in glass, not dirt

Edited by JamesEnfield

Reject the car. It requires a factory rebuild imo. You cannot clay out holes in glass, lacquer etc. The danger is they could make paintwork, plastic etc look better by claying, this would be only temporary if the surface is damaged and pitted.

What was the build week?

Damage could be weather related whilst "banked" at the airstrip.

Edited by xman
  • Like 3

How did it travel from factory to dealer? Train then car carrier for the local bit? Was it properly protected during the journey especially on the train if relevant. The amount of debris generated by a fast moving train is huge.

I am in the 'reject' the car camp if it is mechanical damage and not dirt/fallout etc.  

• Like 2

Sorry, I was commenting thinking this was fallout/external contaminants that had 'bonded' to the car/glass.  If they are actually holes then yes, reject the car and also ask for some level of compensation from the supplying dealer.  

'Banked' cars might well have these type of issue.   A problem for the VW Group, VW, Skoda, SEAT and Audi. 

Do not accept damaged cars.

Cars parked at the same locations are going to have the same issues and VW Group will know that, 

know what was where and for how long.

44055667_10214790112404136_4897098019859595264_n.jpg.2a90548ee185c0568cf207b6680a090b.jpg

Edited by Offski

I accepted it during pick up before I noticed that now I need to go claim way

it was built beginning of September, delivered 2nd week of November. I am really mad but they have 2 weeks to respond by law so need to wait.

Edited by JamesEnfield
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, JamesEnfield said:

but they have 2 weeks to respond by law so need to wait

In the UK you have a right to reject a faulty car and you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase in most cases. If you dont claim within that period your rights become less clear. The car must be “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described”. Yours clearly isn't 2 of those criteria. So by default, it would be 'faulty'.

Is it the same in Poland?

As it is the Expert Report that Skoda Poland commission to find out what substance caused the damage should be the end of the matter for the owner and a new un-damaged car should be provided as a replacement.

They should want to know the cause but maybe they already know unless it is just with this one vehicle and the environmental damaged happed just from some industrial product being near to it.

Acid Etch or the likes being the most likely.  Or something in the wind at a rail siding.

• Like 1

Update: spoke with independent expert on that he will check the car and issue report but judging by description he states any way of fixing this is unacceptable as it will impact car value and they will never be able to mount the components same way as factory therefore their opinion if thats permanent damage will be negative for any kinds of repair unless I agree to monetary reimbursement.

That cheered me up a bit. Also consulted with lawyer and she states that’s a won case.

Edited by JamesEnfield
  • Like 2

Get yourself a clay bar off ebay, look up on youtube how to clay your car and test an area.

My brand new Sportline estate was covered in fallout ( from the train ) on the unprotected surfaces including all windows. 

Clayed all the areas with fall out and then protected the whole car with a really good wax.

You may be surprised with the results you can achieve.

My car was reasonably prepared by the dealer but I spent a further full day to detail the car.

BTW; My wife's new Seat was just as bad so the same process was performed.

Dealers just don't have the time these days.

2 minutes ago, ajl124 said:

Get yourself a clay bar off ebay, look up on youtube how to clay your car and test an area.

My brand new Sportline estate was covered in fallout ( from the train ) on the unprotected surfaces including all windows. 

Clayed all the areas with fall out and then protected the whole car with a really good wax.

You may be surprised with the results you can achieve.

My car was reasonably prepared by the dealer but I spent a further full day to detail the car.

BTW; My wife's new Seat was just as bad so the same process was performed.

Dealers just don't have the time these days.

Do you have any photos prior to claying so I can compare if the issue is similar?

Sorry I don't James.

After I washed you could feel it and microfibre cloth dragged over the fall out on the windows.

On the paint work Moon white the fall out was easy to see as rust forming on the particles and you could feel it , just the same on the Seat.

But its not the owner's responsibility to prepare/fix a new car with manufacturing or pre delivery defects. Doing that simply jeopardises any paint warranty or comeback if it doesn't work, makes things worse or turns out in 3 or 6 months not to have really sorted it.

Reject.

I'm sure in Poland that EU consumer rights and laws exist, though I do know a lot of Polish retailers ride rough shod over consumers who often don't know these rights exist.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ajl124 said:

Get yourself a clay bar off ebay, look up on youtube how to clay your car and test an area

The OP has started that he has microscopic holes. This doesn't sound like something you can clay bar out.

• Like 1

Got to laugh at 'Dealers just do not have time anymore'. 

These 'Banked' cars are months late from people ordering them, and if Official Dealers need more Car Preparation and Inspections beyond the PDI then they the 'Dealerships / Bosses' need to have that out with the VW Board of Management.

You can not accept an order for a New Car from a factory and then expect the new Owners or person leasing the car to rectify 'fall out' or damage caused in storage or transit, 

or after transit to the 'Dealership'. 

That is regardless of which country that VW Group are selling vehicles in.