Cornering Lights

westie38

I have had a couple of occasions where someone has pulled out in front of me at roundabouts when my left cornering light has come on due to the slight amount of Left turn when entering a roundabout , even though (in my case) I'm taking the 2nd exit. Obviously, I'm not indicating Left at that point, and the other driver(s) is/are at fault, but given the amount of drivers who do not use their indicators in any case, I just thought it's worth a mention given how sensitive  the cornering light operation is and for us to be on aware and on guard against such events.  

Regardless at who's at fault, I wouldn't want anyone crashing in to me then having to sort out the mess afterwards just because they 'thought' I was turning Left. Beware.

It maybe that if the cornering light comes on so briefly they may be thinking you are flashing them??

I would just put it down to the other driver wanting to get onto the roundabout asap regardless.

Are the other vehicles all Karoq drivers in the 1.5 Tsi manual just gunning it by any chance? :giggle:

'Simply Clever' just disable them.

If you ever need Cornering Lights or Cornering Fog lights in dark places where there is the need for Full Beam and nobody to dazzle you can put on full beam, 

or dipped and fog lights, why have 1 fog light on anyway?

Then the Automatic Front Fog Lights or just one coming on as you select reverse are just stupid IMO.

If you need Front Fog Lights or Full Beam on to see reversing put them on if there is nobody to dazzle, do not let the car do it just because reverse is selected, 

the cars does that with the reversing light or lights.

Edited by Offski

I'm sure my previous Kuga did that as well - select reverse, then when moving backwards and turning the steering wheel brought on the 'opposite' side front fog/cornering light - why - unless it was to avoid scraping the front corner?

Gaz, it was a female in a Range Rover tonight. I rest my case...

From my own experience, I’m finding more and more people either pull out or start to edge out on me if I’m correctly using the lanes on a roundabout. So, if it has two lanes and I am using lane 1 to go straight over, people think I’m going left because if you follow the lane, you go left then swing round to the right. I put it down to the increasing laziness and moronicness of people straight lining or taking the racing line around a aroundabout. The result now is, nobody has a f**king clue who is going where anymore on roundabouts. 

I’d wager people haven’t even noticed the cornering light come on. 

• Like 1

Agree 100% about peoples attitude on roundabouts, I can only presume about wether or not they are confused by cornering lights coming on inadvertently though. I'm sure road congestion is as bad all over the UK now, but there seems to be a lot of thicko's that would rather block up all exits/entrances to a roundabout rather than give way, and certainly haven't a clue about zip merging. Rant over.

• Like 1

I see Fiat Punto every day with NHS or Care Workers and the only clue the way they are going is that Cornering Fog Light, 

VW Polo's and Golf's as well at mini roundabouts and these are the same drivers every day.

Then all the newer ones, Ford Ranger and Audi, Range Rovers the clue is a light is going out and maybe there is 1 indicator flash or none.

Observant drivers do see what is all around and what cars or drivers do what....

Meals on Wheels vans and Local Police van are not into indicating before swooping to the kerb.

If you ride a push bike, electric bike or any 2 wheeler you really get to see it all as they do what they do regardless of how hi-vized up you might be.

Guess their direction and then take no chances because the 'Corning DRL's or Fogs are only an indication they are going someplace but they could change their mind and come straight at you. The can just stop though right in your path.

Edited by Offski

Cornering lights are well established now and used across many large scale manufacturers so a lot of people are well used to them.

To confuse them for indicators, or a vehicles intent to turn though is foolish.

On the Karoq they're so close to the dipped headlights its unlikely most people will even notice them.

Edited by silver1011

Then there are the shape shifting drls that turn off then do a transformation into a yellow indicator, so one side of a car is white, other side flashing or sweeeeeping yellow, yeah thats real safe......

And those indicators doing their hypnotic "you are feeling sleepy" routine, who thought they were actually a good idea, pretty sure it takes the brain two or three seconds to decide what is happening to that car in front or approaching , great for road safety obviously..,

• Like 1

Just now, silver1011 said:

Cornering lights are well established now and used across many large scale manufacturers so a lot of people are well used to them.

To confuse them for indicators, or a vehicles intent to turn though is foolish.

And that's the foolish problem, the more common they are, the more the sub conscious association will grow in peoples minds that they indicate a car is turning.

Quiet the opposite, the more common they are the more normal they become.

If a white bulb fading on and then fading off several seconds later is mistaken as an orange indicator then we're all doomed.

Edited by silver1011
  • Sad 1

Loads of people around that likely never notice Karoq Cornering lights, maybe those that have no idea what lights they have and that when the Auto Lights are enabled they are not lighting up the Side & Headlights, or when DRL's are on there is no rear lights but visibility is poor.

Loads need special light for special reasons like they think they are cool or just because they are fitted, but then we have been having this discussion for about 6 years now.

World is no darker and many manufacturers are calming down the stupidity on the lighting set up while Skoda seem to be behind the curve.

Whilst it may not be getting darker, car lighting is getting brighter, whether we like it or not.

LED technology now also makes it much easier to offer additional features / functionality, and that, by its very nature, results in them being seen as a desirable / attractive feature.

In comparison to a pair of simple halogen headlights then any form of progress, good or bad is going to be seen as unnecessary by the older generation or haters of change / progress.

Edited by silver1011
  • Haha 2

Nothing to do with age or getting brighter or modern tech.

There are so many new cars with the best of tech and faulty / dodgy misaligned lights because they are from the factory to the UK and through a PDI and never picked up as wrong til a MOT or someone tells a driver how bad their lights are or maybe they see as someone else drives their car.

New cars on Trade Plates or moving about dealerships are often mis-aligned or not operating as designed,.   they have a squint. boss eyed.

Some drive and see every and any vehicle coming towards them at night and know what is what and what is not correctly set or coping with the ups and downs of the road quick enough, 

and also upgraded, ballsed up light conversions. 

Edited by Offski

12 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I had never heard of or noticed this feature on any car until I bought the Karoq.

12 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Not quite sure what the issue is with sweeping indicators. Unnecessary perhaps, but distracting definitely not..

IMO the vid just shows that it is distracting

11 hours ago, silver1011 said:

In comparison to a pair of simple halogen headlights then any form of progress, good or bad is going to be seen as unnecessary by the older generation or haters of change / progress.

Generalising and a little ageist!!

Some changes are for changes sake. Anything to make a car look different or better will help the manufacturers sell cars. I want that too fashion, or look at my new car fashion. 

34 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

I had never heard of or noticed this feature on any car until I bought the Karoq.

Cornering fog lights have been relatively common place for a decade now and most manufacturers use them, including Ford, VAG, Vauxhall, Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat, Mercedes etc.

I can understand if you'd not realised what they were, but to not notice them at all seems strange. I can only assume that you don't drive much at night, or in poor visibility. I see them several times a day on my commute.

IMO the vid just shows that it is distracting

I can't see how a set of LED's progressively illuminating, to signal an intended direction of travel, is anymore distracting than a regular flashing indicator. If they are distracting you to the point they're adversely affecting your driving then I'd suggest that there are more pressing worries at hand.

Generalising and a little ageist!!

Some changes are for changes sake. Anything to make a car look different or better will help the manufacturers sell cars. I want that too fashion, or look at my new car fashion. 

Calm down. It's common knowledge that your eyesight deteriorates with age. As your eyesight worsens their ability to deal with brighter lights diminishes, with or without glasses.

It stands to reason therefore that older drivers will notice more, or struggle with, the trend towards brighter lights and their changing operation.

Agreed, it is the buying public that are determining the direction automotive manufacturers are taking. Today's car buyers want cornering lights, LED lights, strobing / sweeping indicators etc.

If you don't then it is likely you're in the minority. Try buying a car today without Bluetooth connectivity and see how far you get. Times change. Either go with the flow or resist and complain.

Luckily, the Karoq can be had with regular halogen headlights and foglights, sweeping indicators aren't available and the cornering fog lights can be disabled. Happy days.

image.gif

Edited by silver1011

Im not against technology. But I am trying to differentiate between new invention and refinement. My fathers Jaguar 420G was the first car with disc brakes at the rear. (Inboard, next to the diff). My Triumph TR4A IRS had a badge to show it has Independent Rear Suspension. Disc brakes are far superior to drum. Radial tyres much better than cross-ply. The Karoq heated steering wheel is better than having a cold one. I accept these and embrace them. 

Then we come to refinement. My pre LCI BMW 330D M Sport had run flat tyres on huge wheel rims. It cornered like a go-cart. And the suspension was one of the worst I have ever endured. but the wheels looked fantastic and helped to sell the car. Form over function. I changed it for a post LCI 330D SE with smaller rims changed the run flats and it was acceptable. AEB, ABS, Bluetooth DSG etc - brilliant.

An indicator that goes off and on has been used for donkeys years. An indicator that lights up in a way to show the direction of turn is not a major improvement. The car has become so much more than a mode of transport.

I view heated seats and heated steering wheel as necessary. Must haves. Not so cornering lights, lane assist, sunroofs etc. IMO.

PS no I don't do much night driving.

My Yeti FL had Xenon lights and halogen fog lights. The fogs were totally useless. With the Xenons, you also did not need them in fog or driving at moderate speed on curvy roads.

The Karoq has LED headlights and LED fog lights, which light up in turns at slow speeds. The fogs actually work very well and light up the sides in a usegul manner. The cornering function at slow speed is also quite useful in turning into dark streets and unlt driveways at night.

I cannot see if the cornering lights also light up during the day , but if they do, I see no useful function of that. At our northern location, you cannot avoid driving in the dark early morning and afternoon.

Edited by Agerbundsen
spelling

1 hour ago, OldKaroq said:

...but the wheels looked fantastic and helped to sell the car. Form over function.

You hit the nail on the head - form over function.

For me, the form over function debate is a sliding scale, we're all on different points of the scale.

Perhaps younger buyers may be further towards form, being attracted to fancy lights and how they are perceived by others, whereas the older more mature buyers are preferring function i.e. things that make life easier or comfier.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agerbundsen said:

My Yeti FL had Xenon lights and halogen fog lights. The fogs were totally useless.

The Karoq has LED headlights and LED fog lights, which light up in turns at slow speeds. The fog actually work very well and light up the sides in a usegul manner. The cornering function at slow speed is also quite useful in turning into dark streets and unlt driveways at night.

I cannot see if the cornering lights also light up during the day , but if they do, I see no useful function of that. at our northern location, You cannot avoid driving in the dark early morning and afternoon.

The cornering fog lights only operate in conjunction with dipped headlights, so they'll only be seen during the day if your headlights are on.

The Yeti's pre-FL cornering fog lights were great, being much higher up they did a good job of lighting up the grass verge during rural manoeuvres. On the facelift (FL) they dropped them down to the lower bumper and made them quite  bit smaller / dimmer.

As per the Karoq, our Kodiaq has LED headlights and cornering fog lights, they work really well.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

The cornering fog lights only operate in conjunction with dipped headlights, so they'll only be seen during the day if your headlights are on.

The Yeti's pre-FL cornering fog lights were great, being much higher up they did a good job of lighting up the grass verge during rural manoeuvres. On the facelift (FL) they dropped them down to the lower bumper and made them quite  bit smaller / dimmer.

As per the Karoq, our Kodiaq has LED headlights and cornering fog lights, they work really well.

So presumably, they do come on when the dipped headlights are on during the day, based on them being on when the rain sensor says so.

On the pre-FL Yeti, it was also easy-ish to replace the standard halogen bulbs with the super bulbs from Philips or Osram.  On the FL it was not worth the bother.

Incidentally, the two LED reversing lights on the Karoq work better than any I have ever had.

Edited by Agerbundsen

4 hours ago, Agerbundsen said:

Incidentally, the two LED reversing lights on the Karoq work better than any I have ever had.

AFAIK reverse lamps and rear indicators are not L.E.D. as standard on any Karoq models, unless you have replaced them? 

• Like 1