New Skoda Scala

Tcots

Here is my look of the interior. Red one wasn't there on second press day. It was to many people, my first time on Geneva Auto Show. Bloody expensive country. But beautiful as Croatia. Sorry I no 4K video this time only HD. I was playing with iPhone camera settings and didn't realise setting was not back on 4K.

Edited by Croat
  • Thanks 1

On 22/01/2019 at 08:38, SurreyJohn said:

Looking through the interior photos (and clearly was a top spec version as it has leather / microsuede seating, digital dashboard, DSG, twin USB sockets etc)

Noticed the climate control just appeared to have a mode button, rather than the usual feet, body, screen buttons

Left to Right bottom row is seat heater, mode, rear heated screen, right seat heater

Personally I prefer easy to use buttons rather than scrolling through menus, maybe its just an age thing

Nope... not an age thing - it’s just better design isn’t it! Hope it’s easy to use...

On 03/02/2019 at 15:30, maffyou said:

I get what you're saying, thought doubt it will ever happen, but was surprised with these two inclusions on your "not required" list.

Surely both of these offer an advantage for the older driver? An electronic handbrake is much less physical to engage and disengage so easier for people with mobility issues/arthritis/general physical weakness. And likewise, a function like cruise control which means you don't have to keep your foot depressed on a pedal which can be tiring for many people's legs, and even more so ACC where physical input is required even less?

Agreed.

Having driven a DSG Golf with the electric handbrake, I’m sold on it. Makes much more sense with the DSG though - primarily it’s the auto hold functionality I found most useful, coming to a rest at traffic lights or in town traffic. I’m not an older driver but I do about 100 miles daily. It’s just one thing that makes a drive a bit more relaxing - and that’s something you can’t challenge unless you’re doing that mileage and those journeys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

Autocar roadtest telling the same story as they did about the Rapid: Poor Ride, Poor handling, Cheap plastics.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/scala/first-drives/skoda-scala-2019-review

Shame.

Seems very expensive for what it is. Our 2015 Spaceback lost £10,000 in 3 years and I can't see the Scala doing any better when second hand (pre-loved).:thumbdown:

5 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Autocar roadtest telling the same story as they did about the Rapid: Poor Ride, Poor handling, Cheap plastics.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/scala/first-drives/skoda-scala-2019-review

Shame.

Either they were expecting it to handle like an Audi RS3 or they can't drive and have to rely on toys and gizmos to keep them out of trouble. I have no problems cornering in my Spaceback and the ride and road noise on 17"s isn't bad at all. That's on the back of a Civic ES, Rapid SE hatch and Scirocco R as well.

One of these things I think you have to find out for yourself when it arrives in the UK.

I checked out the configurator on the German website and got to an eye watering 32000 Euros for not much more than my car has. Looking at the video of the blue one above it's so close in design and looks, not to mention the same parts and buttons, not to make it worth my while changing any time soon.

I can appreciate that they want to move upmarket but I don't fully understand why. There's a VAG car for every budget currently and if they try to price them too high then people will go for other brands instead.

Agree. Most of us are happyish with Rapid/Toledo dynamics, though the journos insist on telling us it rides and handles poorly. To be honest they are still basing their perceptions on the early cars, and having driven a 2013 TDi, they did have a point.

Surely Skoda don't want early criticism of this new car which will be a mainstream model and they hope a big seller, so they should at least have tweaked the press cars to minimise bad feedback.

Auto Express as usual are more positive - I really think they must get a great deal of ad revenue (or bungs) from VAG and some other brands like Hyundai that they (and WhatCar) also praise so highly.

Edited by camelspyyder

35 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Either they were expecting it to handle like an Audi RS3 or they can't drive and have to rely on toys and gizmos to keep them out of trouble. I have no problems cornering in my Spaceback and the ride and road noise on 17"s isn't bad at all. That's on the back of a Civic ES, Rapid SE hatch and Scirocco R as well.

One of these things I think you have to find out for yourself when it arrives in the UK.

I checked out the configurator on the German website and got to an eye watering 32000 Euros for not much more than my car has. Looking at the video of the blue one above it's so close in design and looks, not to mention the same parts and buttons, not to make it worth my while changing any time soon.

I can appreciate that they want to move upmarket but I don't fully understand why. There's a VAG car for every budget currently and if they try to price them too high then people will go for other brands instead.

Agree I could have bought an Audi S1 for the same price I paid for my Octavia Vrs. However I needed the extra space and therefore practicality that the Skoda offers.:thinking:

A RS /vRS this size and weight makes more sense than the likes of a Kodiaq or even a Karoq / Octavia.

A Golf GTI competitor even.

& more like Fabia (Polo) sized as they try to play of the Skoda Rally Success / Motor Sport Heritage connection even though they just do Fabia 1.0 litres with 110ps max models in showrooms.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made this review of Ambition week ago, as no one seen one with base LED lights or rear spoiler. But for got to post it, so here it is.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2019 at 07:57, Luckypants said:

Very reminiscent in shape of previous model Audi A3 Sportback IMO.

I'm getting '58 Edsel from the tail-lights, and that's not a good omen,

1958-edsel-pacer-tail-light-lauri-novak.

but just like the EdseI, which has a hideous nose, I don't know what's going on at the front of the Skoda - there are so many conflicting lines with no flow or cohesion - were they both designed on Etch-a Sketch?

70403120.jpg

Edited by camelspyyder

Took 1.0 TSI - 115 HP for a test, not bad. But cabin noise is just bad. Didn't got car over night. So IDK how are the LED lights.

Was on holiday at a hotel in Croatia last week and Skoda were doing a press presentation.

Nice looking car, especially the blue one and I reckon better looking than an A3 or a Golf, and just the right size. Just took photos of these two the night before the presentation. The next day the car-park was full of Scalas and a Kodiaq VRS but we were going out so didn't take anymore photos.

47951119896_df37906a13_b.jpgIMG_9818 by Hinkleigh, on Flickr

47951093148_40a3a2ff53_b.jpgIMG_9816 by Hinkleigh, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...