New Skoda Scala

Tcots

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/models/live-world-premiere-of-the-all-new-skoda-scala/

Three TSI petrol engines, with a capacity of 1.0 or 1.5 litres, and one 1.6 TDI diesel engine deliver power ranging from 70 to 110 kW (95 to 150 PS).

At some point in 2019, these will be joined by the 1.0 G-TEC, a 66 kW (90 PS) engine powered by environmentally-friendly natural gas (CNG).

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-kits/skoda-scala-press-kit/

Lots of details in the press kit link

Edited by SurreyJohn

It’s gonna be on the very short list next summer when “her” Octavia needs replacing after 3 years.

Looks like we still get knobs for the heating. That’ll do me.

If we can spec up an SEL type car with hot seats and screens we’ll be off to the races.

Hopefully cheaper than an Octy.

8 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

It’s gonna be on the very short list next summer when “her” Octavia needs replacing after 3 years.

Looks like we still get knobs for the heating. That’ll do me.

If we can spec up an SEL type car with hot seats and screens we’ll be off to the races.

Hopefully cheaper than an Octy.

This picture shows heated windscreen, heated steering wheel, and there are seat heating buttons clearly visible in bottom corners of climate control.  Text also says heated rear seats.

The question is will they all be on UK SEL spec

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20181221T062424Z

Edited by SurreyJohn

Looks quite attractive if you don't need Octavia boot space.

For me the engine choice would be a sticking point. Given the problems with the 1.5 TSI in the Octavia I will be giving that engine a wide berth, 1.0 TSI  and 1.6 TDI just a bit too weedy, no 2.0 TDI or TSI.

If VAG get the 1.5 TSI sorted or make a 2.0 TDI available I would consider it in a few years time.

Having said that I would never be first in line for a new model - always best to let other folk find the teething problems.

• Like 1

If it's supposed to be a Golf rival, why isn't it on the Golf chassis like the SEAT Leon is? 

The Vision RS concept was quite promising, but as there is no vRS version, no engines offering more than 150ps, and probably no independent rear suspension, I'm a little bit underwhelmed. 

16 hours ago, Octy0GG said:

Looks quite attractive if you don't need Octavia boot space.

For me the engine choice would be a sticking point. Given the problems with the 1.5 TSI in the Octavia I will be giving that engine a wide berth, 1.0 TSI  and 1.6 TDI just a bit too weedy, no 2.0 TDI or TSI.

If VAG get the 1.5 TSI sorted or make a 2.0 TDI available I would consider it in a few years time.

Having said that I would never be first in line for a new model - always best to let other folk find the teething problems.

I have absolutely no regrets about having one of the first Kodiaqs delivered in April 2017. I ordered it over the phone in December 2016 after reading the specs online. I only saw one in the flesh a short time before delivery.

Having enjoyed a Superb for over 6 years, I reckoned I had  good idea of what was coming.

So I'll happily consider doing it again.

21st century vehicles have a reasonable shake down before we get our hands on them, so "teething problems" aren't what they were 40 years ago.

12 hours ago, Czechers said:

If it's supposed to be a Golf rival, why isn't it on the Golf chassis like the SEAT Leon is? 

The Vision RS concept was quite promising, but as there is no vRS version, no engines offering more than 150ps, and probably no independent rear suspension, I'm a little bit underwhelmed

When your good lady simply needs a reasonably well equipped, comfortable little shuttle buggy that is used 4 days out of 5, with an average daily use of less than 50 miles, then the top spec, high performance of hi tech features that are rarely used or even noticed by most drivers, become irrelevant.

Why do so many people run around in cheap, tinny cars?

Maybe they just don't care and/or spend their cash on other things.

I do chuckle when I see an S1, S3, S4 etc, etc. in Tesco's car park or on the school run. When did they last get used in earnest? Ever seen the Red Line? Ever exceeded 70mph?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

When your good lady simply needs a reasonably well equipped, comfortable little shuttle buggy that is used 4 days out of 5, with an average daily use of less than 50 miles, then the top spec, high performance of hi tech features that are rarely used or even noticed by most drivers, become irrelevant.

I do chuckle when I see an S1, S3, S4 etc, etc. in Tesco's car park or on the school run. When did they last get used in earnest? Ever seen the Red Line? Ever exceeded 70mph?

If I ever own an s3 or s4, then I’d be launch controlling everywhere. I heard an Rs3 launch next to me a few weeks ago, the sound was mental!

It is a total faf and you get your arse blown off by people that just stop then floor it without lots of high revs and then 'launching'. or just scooters.

Better just get an EV for traffic light Grand Prix as regen braking is just wonderful for pulling you up, as long as the tyres grip, but then the RS3 tyres need to grip as well on slick diesel covered roads.

Edited by Skoffski

In a way, I wish Skoda would do a retired people’s spec (not a joke, and I don’t want to be offensive to any particular group), but what I mean is a comfortable (practical) spec without a lot of never going to be used business gadgets

Comfy Seats, no deep bolsters so that old stiff bones can slide in

Leather side bolsters to help get into seats

Deep 55+ tyres to cushion the arthritic bones

Rear interior lighting so can do the seatbelts up on Grandchildren (some beancounter left this off on Arona)

All season tyres

Audible rear sensors

Powerful demisting suitable for short journeys

CD player

Not too big, so fits in parking spaces

Blind spot monitors (older people can’t turn heads as easily)

Not Required:

Phone charging trays

Traffic sign displays

electric handbrake

Low profile wheels with summer tyres

Wireless hotspots

Cruise control

Telephone controls on steering

Basically a car that the (relatively rich) retired can do days out and visit the shops, occasionally carrying grandchildren or friends.  Only rarely likely to do longer journeys.  

Not sure why there is an obsession in some makes of adding trendy features that 20-30 year olds need, but forgetting people get old

SEAT nearly got it right with Arona Xcelence (except rear interior lighting and comfort seats), but ruined it by making best seats only on Lux (which has 45 profile tyres, with Pirelli’s that are useless in cold weather)

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 4

On 25/12/2018 at 10:05, BoxerBoy said:

Blimey, Christmas spirit is truly alive and well with you then!

We can all find a way to mock each other's personal choices. Or we can just accept that they'll spend their money the way they see fit. Would you think more of those with their S1's, S3's etc if they chopped them in for the same Kodiaq that you drive, even though they may well have no need for such a large vehicle? Maybe they're already judging you for the amount of extra space you're taking up on the road and in Tesco's car park? Who knows? 

Those of you that have driven the Octavia with multi-link suspension back to back with the the torsion beam variants will note how much more compliant the ride is, especially with larger wheels.

• Like 1

I am not disappointed.  Looks like a practical car and not Style over function.   Something that will be available to actually buy in the near future.

The Concept is just that, about Skoda / VW Click Bait and the coming Electric & Hybrid Electric Vehicles.  the Skoda Maybe-a.   

Maybe available, maybe never will be anytime soon.

On 26/12/2018 at 11:34, Czechers said:

Blimey, Christmas spirit is truly alive and well with you then!

We can all find a way to mock each other's personal choices. Or we can just accept that they'll spend their money the way they see fit. Would you think more of those with their S1's, S3's etc if they chopped them in for the same Kodiaq that you drive, even though they may well have no need for such a large vehicle? Maybe they're already judging you for the amount of extra space you're taking up on the road and in Tesco's car park? Who knows? 

Those of you that have driven the Octavia with multi-link suspension back to back with the the torsion beam variants will note how much more compliant the ride is, especially with larger wheels.

And even owners of higher performance cars have to go shopping! 

• Like 1