Auto headlight dipping?

Dafyddapw

14 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

The problem is that some of the latest “assistance systems” are either unreliable or simply do not come up to scratch compared with a competent driver, so we end up wasting time and energy fighting against them or trying to second guess them.

And when we can, some of us switch them off and get on with driving.

The worst example are High Beam Assist, Active Cruise, Lane Assist, Self Parking, Rear Cameras.

As for phone apps .. . . . . . .  . . . .

Agreed! Seems more cars are sold on gizmos and gadgets than on anything else now. Since when was it so difficult to dip headlights, stay in a lane or park a car? 

• Like 2

I was driving the car last night and used a cut through which involves some unlit country roads and to be honest the LED head lights provided adequate lighting with out main beam 

coming from cars with out and I drive a t5 for work the lights are excellent 

i don’t see main beam assistance being any better than manual operation or my own preference to switch on and of 

if it permanently in the on position how do you flash some one ? 

2 hours ago, patrolman said:

I was driving the car last night and used a cut through which involves some unlit country roads and to be honest the LED head lights provided adequate lighting with out main beam 

coming from cars with out and I drive a t5 for work the lights are excellent 

i don’t see main beam assistance being any better than manual operation or my own preference to switch on and of 

if it permanently in the on position how do you flash some one ? 

V good to hear basic lights are good, never got to test drive in the dark.  Do you have the facility on your car (v similar spec otherwise to my one arriving Wed), or like others writing also from perspective of not having it and assuming it isn’t helpful for some situations?  My view is that if it works well and does not cause problems to oncoming drivers (there was good feedback earlier in the thread saying it didn’t) then there is no reason for people not to go with their personal preference which may be different.  My wife is v keen on them, and the BMW version works well for me (and yes you can flash), so it is a feature it was worth looking for & found on a 5 mth old skoda mgmt car with £6k off.  Not you, but I don’t think it is necessary to suggest if you are a competent driver you shouldn’t be having these features if they work well and don’t impact others....though that was a similar comment when I was debating PDK vs Manual gearbox on a lightweight ‘R’ from a related brand where manual purists suggested any competent driver should be using a clutch pedal, even though most people buying the car for track days chose PDK as a faster shift.

51 minutes ago, RossKH said:

V good to hear basic lights are good, never got to test drive in the dark.  Do you have the facility on your car (v similar spec otherwise to my one arriving Wed), or like others writing also from perspective of not having it and assuming it isn’t helpful for some situations?  My view is that if it works well and does not cause problems to oncoming drivers (there was good feedback earlier in the thread saying it didn’t) then there is no reason for people not to go with their personal preference which may be different.  My wife is v keen on them, and the BMW version works well for me (and yes you can flash), so it is a feature it was worth looking for & found on a 5 mth old skoda mgmt car with £6k off.  Not you, but I don’t think it is necessary to suggest if you are a competent driver you shouldn’t be having these features if they work well and don’t impact others....though that was a similar comment when I was debating PDK vs Manual gearbox on a lightweight ‘R’ from a related brand where manual purists suggested any competent driver should be using a clutch pedal, even though most people buying the car for track days chose PDK as a faster shift.

I don’t have it on my car and it wasn’t an option I wanted I’ve never had a car with it on so I might have found it useful but I was surprised how bright the main beam is and I could see it being a safety feature to stop dazzle 

• 2 months later...
On 26/01/2019 at 07:12, patrolman said:

if ft permanently in the on position how do you flash some one ? 

The feature is turned on and activated but the headlights aren't constantly on main beam. The car will activate main beam in appropriate lighting conditions e.g. rural or unlit areas and then dip the lights if it detects oncoming headlights or rear lights ahead. So most of the time unless you're in appropriate conditions it'll be turned on but the headlights will stay dipped.

Because

1. I do not have the stuff to do it myself.

2. While your map shows lots of people - it does not list their knowledge / expertise / experience

3. Seems people are having trouble with the 2019 Karoq

If there was an experienced person near me - then I would like the HBA, Kessi door locking disabled, ACC retrofit (if possible), Start / Stop disabled, Personalisation function activated.

11 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

You missed off 'please' from your list. 

I would happily say please and thank you and willingly pay for the service 

I have been been chatting with a company that will remotely do these and more upgrades at a cost of around 130 pounds

But they want a 450 holding deposit to post you the programming lead

seems a bit much with no guarantee you get the money back if you post the lead!

Its a company who has a lot of Utube videos and a web site

Need to investigate more before handing over that size of payment.

Thanks 

Edited by SimonAudi

I'm also looking for someone in the West Midlands area to activate a few features on my Karoq Edition please, these being:

1. Audible acoustic confirmation chirps when Unlocking/Locking the car (together with the Indicators & Lights Flashing on Lock/Unlock).

2. Needle Seep of the speedometer and tachometer on startup ("Staging").

3. Change air conditioning temperature adjustment from Normal to Colder (cabin is not cool enough in the summer).

Obviously, payment will be provided. Anyone interested please PM me. Thanks!

I believe the last one you can do yourself - if you press the mode button on the AC control it should bring up a power setting for the AC - set it to max (3 choices and different words to max) 

On 04/04/2019 at 12:47, SimonAudi said:

I believe the last one you can do yourself - if you press the mode button on the AC control it should bring up a power setting for the AC - set it to max (3 choices and different words to max) 

Can you be a bit more specific, please, SimonAudi.  I can't see a mode button but there is a menu button, and pressing that doesn't bring up a power setting.  (I have Climatronic on my Karoq)

See below (bottom right) - tells you the 3 modes - Moderate - Medium and Intensive - normally unit is set on Medium, but I believe when you select Eco Drive mode it goes to Moderate (irrespective of what you select here) - change this to Intensive and the AC will consume more power and should cool better - but has to be in normal mode not ECO.

image.png.7a4a50ba6f24bbb8c9e369486c29d336.png

Isn't 'moderate - medium and intensive' double speak for 'normal - intrusive and bloody annoying'?

I had assumed, wrongly or rightly, the tweak on the air-con was truly, more power, that is, a setting for hotter countries only accessible via VCDS / else other control gizmos?

Edited by Berisford

17 minutes ago, mc6701 said:

I added the auto high beam option to my 1.5TSi DSG SEL and have found it useful and quite responsive.

Here is a video taken from my dashcam showing it in action.

Skoda Karoq Auto High Beam

Nice video. I have this but have never figured out how to best use it - do I leave my headlights on dipped beam or main beam for it to automatically work and switch between the two?

4 hours ago, SimonAudi said:

See below (bottom right) - tells you the 3 modes - Moderate - Medium and Intensive - normally unit is set on Medium, but I believe when you select Eco Drive mode it goes to Moderate (irrespective of what you select here) - change this to Intensive and the AC will consume more power and should cool better - but has to be in normal mode not ECO.

image.png.7a4a50ba6f24bbb8c9e369486c29d336.png

Thanks SimonAudi. Am I right that this increased aircon power is only functional when I have the climatronic on auto? I usually leave auto off and manually adjust the airflow, fan and temperature dials to suit. I know that some people here have increased the aircon power (lowering the minimum temperature?) in the software so I was wondering how this method in the manual compares to the software adjustment. Can anyone here please advise how the aircon changed if you adjusted in the software? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, FabFabFabia said:

Nice video. I have this but have never figured out how to best use it - do I leave my headlights on dipped beam or main beam for it to automatically work and switch between the two?

The light selector dial needs to be set to auto then you push the indicator stork forward (the one you normally pull to flash your lights). If correctly activated you will have a light icon with A in it.

IMG_20190405_222156[1].jpg

1 minute ago, FabFabFabia said:

Thanks, by "push it forward" I take it you mean "pull it forward". I'll try it and see if I get the icon displayed as in your helpful picture.

No - Push it away from you towards the windscreen. 

The opposite action to flashing your lights.

20 minutes ago, mc6701 said:

No - Push it away from you towards the windscreen. 

The opposite action to flashing your lights.

Oh, OK, I did try this once and it stayed on main beam and dazzled oncoming traffic. I'll experiment again next time I go out at night. I paid extra to get Auto Light Assist added to my Edition specification so it should work...

6 hours ago, SimonAudi said:

You need to activate the system in the menu before you use it - or it works as permanent high beam

See below.

image.png.a8b9b9bdfaa90f58ff742f444c37f035.png

Thanks, I'll double check everything later.