VRS cough?!

Bought my 2014 VRS last Friday (From Skoda dealership) - the car is coughing twice on 40 mile trip.

Did a scan with my fault scanner but no access to VCDS & the attached came up. Does anyone know what it means?

Thanks

IMG_20181209_174124400.jpg

Take it back, under consumer law, has been sold with a failing/failed part.  Seller must fix it, or buy it back

Dont accept a forced regeneration, DPF needs replacing or a full ceramex clean, and you are talking many hundreds of pounds, so don’t delay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woland said:

I guess the DPF is done for .... go back to the dealership that sold you the car ;)

Oh bugger? Seriously? How come the engine management light isn't on? Could it cause a lack of power & coughing, in your opinion?

51 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Take it back, under consumer law, has been sold with a failing/failed part.  Seller must fix it, or buy it back

Dont accept a forced regeneration, DPF needs replacing or a full ceramex clean, and you are talking many hundreds of pounds, so don’t delay.

Oh **** seriously? Is it a common fault with these cars? Its only done 40K - I shall drop it off Saturday morning. Is it worth telling them I have an idea of what I think the fault is or do I just keep my fault code picture to myself?

46 minutes ago, daykes1 said:

Oh **** seriously? Is it a common fault with these cars? Its only done 40K - I shall drop it off Saturday morning. Is it worth telling them I have an idea of what I think the fault is or do I just keep my fault code picture to myself?

I'd avoid mentioning the code or that you've scanned it as some have been known to use that as an excuse.

Have you cleared the code? If so, do you think it'll come back before you return it? 

It's one of those situations where if you keep driving it, it could potentially make it worse so I'd report the issue to then asap do they are aware.

1 hour ago, gRoberts said:

I'd avoid mentioning the code or that you've scanned it as some have been known to use that as an excuse.

Have you cleared the code? If so, do you think it'll come back before you return it? 

It's one of those situations where if you keep driving it, it could potentially make it worse so I'd report the issue to then asap do they are aware.

Ok will not mention it. Will be interesting what they the fault is & what they've done to fix it.

I cleared the code initially but it has come back.

The issue was reported the night I collected the car as it was coughing on the way home. Its booked in for Tuesday but I'm going to drop it off Saturday because that's more convenient for me. 

If the DPF has failed - I'm surprised the car is still running & with no engine management light? We all know VAG cars love to throw an EML ;-)

16 minutes ago, daykes1 said:

Ok will not mention it. Will be interesting what they the fault is & what they've done to fix it.

I cleared the code initially but it has come back.

The issue was reported the night I collected the car as it was coughing on the way home. Its booked in for Tuesday but I'm going to drop it off Saturday because that's more convenient for me. 

If the DPF has failed - I'm surprised the car is still running & with no engine management light? We all know VAG cars love to throw an EML ;-)

You'd be surprised. Sometimes they will allow a certain tolerance, which do you and I, is noticeable but to the ECU, it'll be perfectly within tolerances.

By having that information to hand however, if they state there isn't anything wrong with it, you can bring out your cards ;)

Just to throw in the mix, a member on here had a similar situation not that long ago...turned out the car was clocked and the DPF was at the end of it's life.

Not as likely with a Skoda main dealer but nevertheless...

It could be a faulty sensor or other fault, but throw it back at them to fix, and I'd be expecting a courtesy car too.

1 minute ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Just to throw in the mix, a member on here had a similar situation not that long ago...turned out the car was clocked and the DPF was at the end of it's life.

Not as likely with a Skoda main dealer but nevertheless...

It could be a faulty sensor or other fault, but throw it back at them to fix, and I'd be expecting a courtesy car too.

Ah well I really hope that isn't the case with me. They don't have any courtesy cars left for me to take which is why I asked to bring it in on Tuesday

4 minutes ago, daykes1 said:

Ah well I really hope that isn't the case with me. They don't have any courtesy cars left for me to take which is why I asked to bring it in on Tuesday

If it's like most dealerships, they don't provide courtesy cars on a weekend. 

8 minutes ago, donny1972 said:

40k is low for a dog to fail. Many owners with over 100k miles and no problems.

Short journeys is what kills DPFs though, so you're more likely to see issues on vehicles doing lower average mileage as its more likely they've spent their lives never reaching suitable regen conditions. 

Above comments seem to be running ahead of themselves.  I don't understand the comment impling that revealing this code gives the dealer an excuse. An excuse for what? all that happened is someone read a screen.

Senario - you give the dealer the chance to detect the coughing fault - the dealer says thay can't replicate the problem ( which is quite likely ). What then?  You mention that you've hooked up diagnostics and it returned a fault code? You're now back to square one - giving them that excuse.

No, I'd be 100% honest - the car wasn't running correctly, and diagnostics returned an error code. You want to know what that error code means and could this be related to the cough.

Regarding the comment don't let them do a regeneration:   If a regeneration fixes the problem then there's no basis for rejecting the car.  If future problems can be related to this then by law the garage is liable ( goods were faulty when sold ), but if garage sells a car which has no faults.  You can't reject a car on something that 'might' fail in future.

Edited by Guest

It is very unusual for a DPF to fail at 40k miles.

As already stated if car is 4 years old and only done 40k miles (assuming it isn't clocked), it has probably been used for lots of short journeys (so never got hot enough to regen). 

Previous owner should have bought a petrol for that kind of usage.   But its not their problem anymore.

Not sure if it applies to the engine you have, but for some brands, a small amount of diesel can get injected to help the burn off, but this tends to end up in the sump, so you get contaminated lubricating oil.   So check the condition and level of the oil.

If you have a stamped service book check it, if not, I would get a full print out of the service history, a car doing town work and 10k miles a years should have annual servicing, if it has had long life servicing it is going to get premature wear on parts.

If it goes in, check the mileage and fuel level, a fix should not be a 1 hour thrash in low gear using your fuel.

I know there is a tpi for this code. EGR valve, EGR cooler can become clogged also the dpf can crack which causes fault code. The soot content on the ones that I have looked at had been low code has been thrown up because of flow issues

On 11/12/2018 at 22:23, VAGGAZ said:

On 11/12/2018 at 09:27, gRoberts said:

Well surprise surprise the dealership tell me there's nothing wrong with the car & no fault codes. However, I dropped the car off approx 10mims after scanning it myself & leaving the original code uncleared. At what point do I show them to code & ask them about it?

Edited by daykes1

Well surprise surprise the dealership tell me there's nothing wrong with the car & no fault codes. However, I dropped the car off approx 10mims after scanning it myself & leaving the original code uncleared. At what point do I show them to code & ask them about it?

Just now, daykes1 said:

At what point do I show them to code & ask them about it?

Was the code still there after you got it back?

Part of me would tell them you've found the code - that they couldn't find. 

Could be worth looking at VAG DPF - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.vagdpf&hl=en_GB

You could at least then check the health of the DPF filter, soot levels etc as the error points towards something being wrong around there.

7 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Was the code still there after you got it back?

Part of me would tell them you've found the code - that they couldn't find. 

Could be worth looking at VAG DPF - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.vagdpf&hl=en_GB

You could at least then check the health of the DPF filter, soot levels etc as the error points towards something being wrong around there.

I haven't collected the car yet. They phoned me earlier saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I know the fault was there when it went it. Maybe I should wait until I pick it up & scan it again?

Can VCDS check the status of my DPF?

44 minutes ago, daykes1 said:

I haven't collected the car yet. They phoned me earlier saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I know the fault was there when it went it. Maybe I should wait until I pick it up & scan it again?

Can VCDS check the status of my DPF?

It's difficult one to be fair. I would personally scan it in the car park and if it returned, show them the results (i.e. you haven't even started the car and it's there) - of course, knowing them they would have cleared the code lol.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1220-Steps-to-read-DPF-status-using-VCDS

I haven't had a DPF equipped car, so I can't promise the above would be useful but there should be an output channel (108 accordingly) to view some basic stats.

HTH

6 minutes ago, VAGGAZ said:

Not sure what to suggest. Are they saying there is no fault code in the ECU or that they can't get it to cough? 

Doing any diagnostics would always start with an entire scan of the system. 

I would imagine, not that I can prove it, that if they saw a message like the one pictured, they would try their best to avoid the hefty price of replacing a DPF filter, if it's needed.