Three beeps at startup

laserburn

First time happened a couple of weeks ago, when I turned the key three beeps sounded. The car works just fine, no warning light stays on. Doesn't happen on every startup, only occasionally. It's not a service warning, nor cold weather warning. Car has manual transmission.

I googled a bit, didn't find anything like this mentioned on a Citigo, only found mentions of this on Fabia, Rapid, Up!, some others. Mostly they were about checking liquids, all the important liquids in mine are fine, don't know about window washer levels. Some mentioned ABS, ugh...

I will take it to a service point in a couple of days for investigation, but let's see first if anyone has any idea about this.

11 hours ago, laserburn said:

First time happened a couple of weeks ago, when I turned the key three beeps sounded. The car works just fine, no warning light stays on. Doesn't happen on every startup, only occasionally. It's not a service warning, nor cold weather warning. Car has manual transmission.

I googled a bit, didn't find anything like this mentioned on a Citigo, only found mentions of this on Fabia, Rapid, Up!, some others. Mostly they were about checking liquids, all the important liquids in mine are fine, don't know about window washer levels. Some mentioned ABS, ugh...

I will take it to a service point in a couple of days for investigation, but let's see first if anyone has any idea about this.

To me it sounds like inspection or service buzzer OR cold weather. 

I know when I took my Citigo in for a service they only reset the service indicator and not the inspection one. 

I will second that, it’ll be your service reminder if no other lights come up and stay up on the dash.

I jumped in the wife’s car the other night to park it in the garage and ours did the same, wife said afterwards “Oh the service indicator is on the dash, you need to get it serviced” :)

So wait, there are the service indicator AND the inspection indicator?? They are separate?

Because I've already opened a discussion on this when I had just one ping:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/450085-ping-when-starting-engine/

This time it's three beeps, but there is no INSP letters. Wrench light does not stay on. Also, keep in mind that I don't get this on every startup, only sometimes. It's definitely not a cold weather indicator, I've already seen those and the weather has been very mild here.

If it's indeed a service reminder, can I reset it somehow like I did the other one?

Is there any serious risk that this could be something more serious and I need to have a professional look into it?

Edited by laserburn

1 hour ago, laserburn said:

So wait, there are the service indicator AND the inspection indicator?? They are separate?

Because I've already opened a discussion on this when I had just one ping:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/450085-ping-when-starting-engine/

This time it's three beeps, but there is no INSP letters. Wrench light does not stay on. Also, keep in mind that I don't get this on every startup, only sometimes. It's definitely not a cold weather indicator, I've already seen those and the weather has been very mild here.

If it's indeed a service reminder, can I reset it somehow like I did the other one?

Is there any serious risk that this could be something more serious and I need to have a professional look into it?

On the Citigo’s with MFD they do, I can’t remember if the normal LED displays have both though. Look in your manual, it should ell you :thumbup:

Quoting from Citigo user manual:

The warning light  lights up when the brake fluid level is too low or there is a fault in the ABS.

if the warning light flashes  and an audible signal sounds three times, stop and
check the brake fluid level ⇒ .
CAUTION
If the warning light  comes on when driving and in addition the warning light 
(cooling system fault) also comes on in display, you must then stop the car imme-
diately and switch the engine off - risk of engine damage!
If there is a fault in the ABS which also influences the function of the normal
brake system (e.g. distribution of brake pressure), the ABS warning light  comes
on together with the brake system warning light .

There are three beeps, but no warning light stays on. There is no other mention of sounding off three times in the manual.

3 hours ago, laserburn said:

Quoting from Citigo user manual:

The warning light  lights up when the brake fluid level is too low or there is a fault in the ABS.

if the warning light flashes  and an audible signal sounds three times, stop and
check the brake fluid level ⇒ .
CAUTION
If the warning light  comes on when driving and in addition the warning light 
(cooling system fault) also comes on in display, you must then stop the car imme-
diately and switch the engine off - risk of engine damage!
If there is a fault in the ABS which also influences the function of the normal
brake system (e.g. distribution of brake pressure), the ABS warning light  comes
on together with the brake system warning light .

There are three beeps, but no warning light stays on. There is no other mention of sounding off three times in the manual.

Just out of curiosity, did you check all fluid levels? Just in case this was what the beeps were for? 

13 hours ago, Jonny118118 said:

Just out of curiosity, did you check all fluid levels? Just in case this was what the beeps were for? 

All fluid levels are fine. Don't know about windows washer, but I doubt it's very low. The issue is rarely happening, the car started just fine this morning.

7 hours ago, xman said:

According to another site, 3 beeps is a seatbelt warning. If you fasten your seat belt before turning the ignition on there should be no beeps.

That reminds me - I had our Citigo well loaded up a few weeks ago, including a fairly heavy box sat on the front passenger seat. Sure enough, I got 3 beeps on start up, which kept repeating until I realised it was the seat belt warning being triggered by the box. So I plugged the seatbelt in and had an otherwise peaceful journey....

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...