What screen wash do you use/recommend in your Fabia

EdHru

Hi all,

Its getting quite mucky outhere now, salt/grit being spread more frequently then rain, and in turn windscreen is getting a hit and smudged on a regular basis. What screen wash do you use/recommend that its quite effective on your Fabias. I have been using halfords concentrated (Berry) and its ok-ish, wouldnt say its the best.

Thanks   

I'd noticed the highly concentrated VW Group stuff in ebay - on sale by the case, but I still need to run down my stocks of Prestone - the version that covers winter use - ie with freezing protection.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I'd noticed the highly concentrated VW Group stuff in ebay - on sale by the case, but I still need to run down my stocks of Prestone - the version that covers winter use - ie with freezing protection.

What's your verdict on Prestone? Shame TPS no longer trades with the Joe public I would got some of their Quantum stuff. Where do you source your Prestone stock and what's tte going rate. Have you got a  link for the vw stuff from ebay please. 

Prestone All Season Screenwash Concentrate seems to work for me, it replaced a similar product branded as Holts - who use Prestone as one of their brands and use it instead of Holts name.  

Now this is bad timing as it seems that Prestone have slightly renamed of reformulated that product and sell it as Extreme sreenwash and now only sell in in 2 litre and 1 litre containers so cost per unit has been increased quite a bit while repackaging this in "easier to use" sized containers, all previous stocks of the original version I bought in 5 litre containers, via Costco.

Quite a few places seem to sell the newer version inc Halfords and Asda.

Ready mix for use down to -10C Prestone is sold by Screwfix in 4 litre containers for £4.99, I don't know how that works pricewise against the 2 litre conc version when you dilute it down for use to  -10C.

Here is a current link to the VW Group conc product, unfortunately the previous link is dead as winter is here and prices have been increased accordingly!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-SEAT-SKODA-AUDI-Screenwash-BOX-of10X-1-LITRE-Bottles-G052164M2-/152231755296?hash=item2371b83e20

• Like 1

Whatever is on special offer :biggrin: - as long as it is a make/brand I am familiar with,I quite often have both ready mixed and conc stuff stored in the shed so can mix and match as required for low ambient temps.I usually stick to just plain old blue stuff which makes mix and match possible.

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

Prestone All Season Screenwash Concentrate seems to work for me, it replaced a similar product branded as Holts - who use Prestone as one of their brands and use it instead of Holts name.  

Now this is bad timing as it seems that Prestone have slightly renamed of reformulated that product and sell it as Extreme sreenwash and now only sell in in 2 litre and 1 litre containers so cost per unit has been increased quite a bit while repackaging this in "easier to use" sized containers, all previous stocks of the original version I bought in 5 litre containers, via Costco.

Quite a few places seem to sell the newer version inc Halfords and Asda.

Ready mix for use down to -10C Prestone is sold by Screwfix in 4 litre containers for £4.99, I don't know how that works pricewise against the 2 litre conc version when you dilute it down for use to  -10C.

Here is a current link to the VW Group conc product, unfortunately the previous link is dead as winter is here and prices have been increased accordingly!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-SEAT-SKODA-AUDI-Screenwash-BOX-of10X-1-LITRE-Bottles-G052164M2-/152231755296?hash=item2371b83e20

Yes ,that's the stuff I use and it's excellent.

this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonax-Xtreme-5L-Antifreeze-Clear-View-Car-Screenwash-Concentrate/132839548819?epid=19018961795&hash=item1eeddaa793:g:Ge0AAOSwR6Bb2ZmN:rk:3:pf:0

Started using it in 2016 when i got my Fabia; never had anything as good as this in the 40 years i've been driving. Great for summer too(lower concentration); shifts everything off the screen.

Whatever is on offer at ASDA.

Just make sure you run out before adding in a different brand. We had an issue with an 'eggy smell' due to the mixing of different screen washes. Probably won't be an issue 99.999999% of the time but worth noting.

The guy at fleet depot gave me a full bottle of Comma Xstreme (-65c) screen wash for free, they had loads to try. But, i am well confused (aka thick, hahhaha) with dilution ratios. It simply states 5% for summer use, 25% for regular winter, 50% severe winter and 75% extreme winter etc. I really cant get my head around this ratios, to be honest i never paid any attention to this before, always put a bit in the bottle and then add the water. On the old VW bottle that i had in the car with some leftover Sheibeclar only states with symbols of a bottle and then the drops (representing a water ratio).

Would I calculate a ratio like this, say for 25% on the size of a 2L dispensing bottle in which to premix the screenwash + water? I found some conversion calculations and 25% equates to 1:3 (so 1 part of screenwash  to be diluted with 3 parts of water),  so 1L of screenwash to dilute with 3L of water is this right?

Yes.

sounds expensive in the UK, I buy it from any supermarket here, got some yesterday from Action (a Dutch discount chain store), 5L pre-mixed -25°c for just over €2 say £2. It costs a little more for the minus 40°c stuff but it doesnt get that cold here.

I use Triple QX from ECP, seems very good for the money. I bought 20 litres for £9.32 delivered by DHL. Trick is to make an account, login, put the screenwash in your basket and close the webpage, a week later you will get a discount code taking them down to 2.30 for 5 litres!!

9 minutes ago, Maverick567 said:

I use Triple QX from ECP, seems very good for the money. I bought 20 litres for £9.32 delivered by DHL. Trick is to make an account, login, put the screenwash in your basket and close the webpage, a week later you will get a discount code taking them down to 2.30 for 5 litres!!

I'll have to remember that trick as I recently bought 15L for £10.47.

That £1.15 loss will mean I won't be able to sleep tonight! :sweat:

On 19/12/2018 at 12:06, xman said:

This is what I use...

article-2017403-0D1A726500000578-455_306x423.jpg.404f8be1b68863679b6bd18940c3f82c.jpg

Whats my misses doing washing your car ??? , she never wares that sort of cloths when shes doing my car :devil:

7 minutes ago, john999boy said:

END35 discount code still works

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, john999boy said:

I bet mate!! Mine was £9.32 for 20 litres, Que the nightmares!! I don’t know how they manage to do it so cheap including delivery.

13 hours ago, john999boy said:

You were robbed!

Screenwash.JPG.f41701676ca04c469dc83d12411c1397.JPG

I hope you are not making cocktails for the Xmas/New years party at your house with this amount :) I have just ordered one to have a try (in the screen washer). Have you used this one before, just out of interest? 

I had some Halfords concentrate (Berry) OMG its was leaving like some sort of greassy film all over the glass. I cleansed the wipers really well, used Bar Keepers Friend to degrease the windscreen as well, but as soon as i would spray Halfords stuff like misty/foggy film again, grrrrrr. Diluted that Comma Xstream in the spray bottle to try first on the clean windscreen, wow what a difference, clean as anything. Siphoned out the Halfords stuff, rinsed the bottle with the water and added fresh Comma stuff. Really not sure why that Halfords stuff would be leaving some sort of residue, it was frankly dangerous in the dark when raining. 

20 minutes ago, EdHru said:

I hope you are not making cocktails for the Xmas/New years party at your house with this amount :) I have just ordered one to have a try (in the screen washer). Have you used this one before, just out of interest? 

I had some Halfords concentrate (Berry) OMG its was leaving like some sort of greassy film all over the glass. I cleansed the wipers really well, used Bar Keepers Friend to degrease the windscreen as well, but as soon as i would spray Halfords stuff like misty/foggy film again, grrrrrr. Diluted that Comma Xstream in the spray bottle to try first on the clean windscreen, wow what a difference, clean as anything. Siphoned out the Halfords stuff, rinsed the bottle with the water and added fresh Comma stuff. Really not sure why that Halfords stuff would be leaving some sort of residue, it was frankly dangerous in the dark when raining. 

I use it and find it good, I mix 50/50 with water because it’s so cheap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maverick567 said:

I use it and find it good, I mix 50/50 with water because it’s so cheap.

Havent received mine yet, whats dilution ratios for winter/summer use on the label, or you just add 2L of the stuff + 2L of watter?

36 minutes ago, EdHru said:

Havent received mine yet, whats dilution ratios for winter/summer use on the label, or you just add 2L of the stuff + 2L of watter?

Winter I would do 1 litre of SW to 1 litre of water. In Summer probably 500ml of SW to 1 litre of water.