Headlight, sidelight and DRL bulbs

Hi, I am new to the forum, I’m pretty sure this topic will have been discussed lots over the years but I’m looking for advise please. I have a 2011 Monte Carlo and as you will all know the headlights are pretty rubbish ! Just wanting to know what bulbs people have upgraded to ? (headlight and sidelight bulbs)

I have recently replaced the DRL bulbs to a single Cree LED type but the fuse keeps blowing, not sure why but what is everyone else using ?!? Cheers Stu

Are these LED headlight bulbs really road legal, if they were, I'd expect that that would be written on the label and not just guested about in the Qs and As.  

I'd love to think that finally someone had come up with an LED headlight bulb that was suitable for use on the road, but so far I've not found any.

2 hours ago, DIZZY3 said:

Do the led h7 bulbs need any adaptors for the Monte or are they just plug and play, also do any error lights show.

You need adaptors

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

Are these LED headlight bulbs really road legal, if they were, I'd expect that that would be written on the label and not just guested about in the Qs and As.  

I'd love to think that finally someone had come up with an LED headlight bulb that was suitable for use on the road, but so far I've not found any.

Usually says on the box for off road use only or something along those lines but mines passed 2 mot's with them.

One of the companies that helped me out with my car is building a true LED headlights for the MK2 headlights but don't expect it to be less than £500 :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

You need adaptors

Usually says on the box for off road use only or something along those lines but mines passed 2 mot's with them.

One of the companies that helped me out with my car is building a true LED headlights for the MK2 headlights but don't expect it to be less than £500 :ph34r:

is there a bigger difference between LED and HID? i know all about youtube videos, i'm asking based on your experience 

I find that as an on coming driver that led/ HID conversion don't create the correct beam pattern and dazzle on coming drivers. I tend to treat them to the dazzle by flashing of my 80w full beam.

Mine is not a Monte and have twin h7's , Night Breaker for projector dipped beam and 80w for main/fuel beam.

But as I keep coming across regular offenders  that have not cottoned on  a flash of flash of 100w full beam bulbs for the future. See how they like it.

As most LEDs are not set at the correct focal point of the Projector or for a Reflector headlight, thereby not giving correct beam pattern having more dazzle scatter.

If you must fit LED or HID get a new headlight but bear mind that could fail MOT as not original standard.

WRT to HIDs

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to
convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has
been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID
bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. "

takenfrom
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2018-draft.pdf

LED in projector videohousing

https://youtu.be/mZSNrvB_gEE

Edited by Kenrw8