New Windscreen Fitted

chris-H

Morning ALL

As per title, just had a replacement windscreen fitted via insurance company and now have a 5 -15 mm gap between the front edge of the headlining and inside of the screen ? Edge feels quite rough also. Cant say ive ever looked in that area ever but had to as my parrot microhone wire wont retain itself any more because of the gap...

Wondering if theres a seal of some sort missing or if theres any reason the fitters would have to cut the headlining back.

Thanks 

Chris

20 hours ago, chris-H said:

Morning ALL

As per title, just had a replacement windscreen fitted via insurance company and now have a 5 -15 mm gap between the front edge of the headlining and inside of the screen ? Edge feels quite rough also. Cant say ive ever looked in that area ever but had to as my parrot microhone wire wont retain itself any more because of the gap...

Wondering if theres a seal of some sort missing or if theres any reason the fitters would have to cut the headlining back.

Thanks 

Chris

There is no seal or trim to go there, and I doubt the fitter(s) would have cut the headlining back (unless they hacked into it whilst removing the windscreen or cutting back the adhesive, and have evened up the damage).

Does the windscreen look like it's sat a bit high in the rebate?

Image will help.

Difficult angle to picture properly . The headlining edge def appears to have been cut , rough, sharp edge all way along . 

On the outside top edge of windscreen is flush, slightly low of front roof edge . All looks good from outside 

Thanks, I'm asking what's been done or removed from experience before I complain . Ive had the car years but never looked in that area until now !!

I know some of the earlier windscreens had the encapsulated seal around the glass . 

I'd say they've damaged it with the cheese cutter wire thing or whatever cutter they used when they were cutting the old screen out. Just had a look at mine which has never had a replacement windscreen and the headlining edge is totally smooth and snug against the windscreen. No ragged edges like yours now has.  

19 minutes ago, TMB said:

Just had a look at mine which has never had a replacement windscreen and the headlining edge is totally smooth and snug against the windscreen. No ragged edges like yours now has.  

I think the OP's windscreen has been sat too high. If it's a Nordglass windscreen, I would say without any doubt it is sitting too high.

1 minute ago, Glassy said:

I think the OP's windscreen has been sat too high. If it's a Nordglass windscreen, I would say without any doubt it is sitting too high.

I see you are a glass tech so you'd know about this stuff better than me :)

Just now, TMB said:

I see you are a glass tech so you'd know about this stuff better than me :)

I am indeed. I'm also a consumer so happy to help others with questions/situations etc.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced just yet but the gaps do appear to be excessive, Look at the A-pillar trim against the glass (marked in red) it looks wider than the gap between the glass and the headliner.

20181218_151133.thumb.jpg.9916c2ca8a9044fa632f8249f64534ad.jpg

2 hours ago, Glassy said:

brand of glass, please.

I shall try and find out tomorrow... my niggle is that my screen was broken on company business so this has gone through a large national repair company ,they're being less than helpful to say the least . 

52 minutes ago, chris-H said:

Yes it is !

Sorry I realised you'd already confirmed that in an earlier post.

Looks like they've damaged the headlining during screen removal/cleaning off the adhesive and possibly tried to even up the damage. 

Edited by TMB

2 hours ago, chris-H said:

So potentially it's sat too high on the adhesive and maybe they've been a little heavy handed with the cutter ? !!

Don;t want to jump to any conclusions without seeing more of the car, but the picture I'm beginning to get is that the screen is sat too high. This might be because:

a) There were scratches (from being heavy handed) to the paintwork which would have been visible. Sitting the screen on blocks would lift it and thus cover the damage.

b) If an aftermarket glass was used it may not fit as well as a genuine product. For example, Nordglass 'encapsulate' the upper trim to the glass edge with a bead of polyurethane. It's way too much adhesive for the job and fitters just lump the screen in without a thought. You can make a nice job of it by trimming the PUR back and test fitting it until it looks right, but you at first need to give a **** about being a professional and take a bit of pride in your work.  

Just had another look at mine and there's a rubber trim in the roof gap at the top that looks like it's missing off yours.

SS853196.jpg

Edited by TMB