Clutch Slipping? 1.4 tsi 140

Evening all,

Wife complained about her Skoda today, when accelerating in a higher gear, say 5th, she noticed a jerk and then the revs go higher before finally settling back down 

Went out for a drive and was able to replicate it immediately, low rpm, hit accelerator hard in 5th gear and got a jerk followed by revs going higher. 

Also noticed on the display where it tells you what gear you are in went all over the place. Quickly went to 3rd, 5th, 6th!! 

Could this be clutch and does anyone know main dealer cost? 

Bit gutting as we have just replaced the belt and had service last week!! 

Thanks

26 minutes ago, peugeot_205_gti said:

Evening all,

Wife complained about her Skoda today, when accelerating in a higher gear, say 5th, she noticed a jerk and then the revs go higher before finally settling back down 

Went out for a drive and was able to replicate it immediately, low rpm, hit accelerator hard in 5th gear and got a jerk followed by revs going higher. 

Also noticed on the display where it tells you what gear you are in went all over the place. Quickly went to 3rd, 5th, 6th!! 

Could this be clutch and does anyone know main dealer cost? 

Bit gutting as we have just replaced the belt and had service last week!! 

Thanks

Sound like clutch slip. I always get the revs up to around 4,000rpm and dip the clutch and see if the revs stay up or dip straight back down, if revs stay up for a second or two then clutch is slipping

The gear display moving all over the place is because it will be calculating the gear from the ratio between engine speed and vehicle speed. 

It's a pretty easy calculation and saves on switches. 

Since the clutch is slipping the RPM goes up but the vehicle speed stays fairly constant so it will think you've dropped a gear. 

Edited by ian_feel_keepin_it_reel
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

I am pretty confident it’s related to the dmf,  if it’s fine then bang then fine...

certainly at the very least get it checked.

Also as a cheap option, have you had the clutch bled, as that runs on brake fluid on a lot of cars.

On most cars the 1.4tsi doesn't have a Dual Mass Flywheel - even if it is still a gearbox off job and new clutch etc. This sounds like classic clutch slip.

I'd get done ASAP before more damage done. If a Single Mass Flywheel and the clutch wears down to the rivets and scores the flywheel you'll  need a new one.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

I was under the impression they all did these days.

Just wondering as a flywheel would be a warranty job, if still in it, a clutch not.

Well my Superb II 1.4tsi has a SMF (one of the reasons I bought it, also has an external clutch slave cylinder and aux belt waterpump) .

The DSG version will have a DMF.

With revs going higher and then settling - even a failing DMF could do that unless there are no cogs /springs left in it, but you'd have bigger problems then. I saw a failed DMf Mondeo with a well beaten up gearbox bellhousing - engine wouldn't even turn over though! Was so bad car was scrapped.

Saying that some 1.4tsi Golfs had a DMF

Edited by bigjohn

1 minute ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Nice,

that is a turn up for the books and a feature worth having :)

Not 100% sure as some Manual Golfs of the same power came with DMF's.

However it's still a gearbox job off anyway

Cheers all, going to get it booked in see what they make of it. Cars been faultless otherwise so makes sense to get this sorted and keep for a few more years. Only owned for 21 months or so. 

Disappointing the clutch has only lasted 46k miles, have owned it since 24k miles and never been abused in our ownership. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/01/2019 at 16:47, kobak_hun said:

Or anybody else know the solution for this problem? Thank you in advance.

If it is indeed a worn clutch, you’ll have to take it to a dealer or repair shop to get a new clutch and/or flywheel.

It can be the friction plates, or as I experienced on a Kia Carnival MPV (old Rover 2.5L v6 engine version) it could be broken springs on the pressure plate.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Sorry for SUCH  a late update and you're not going to believe this but...

Turns out my wife was sitting too close, so she must of been resting on the clutch slightly during some shifts!!! It did seem strange after having a service but it is because they completely changed the seating position when dropping the vehicle back off to us.

Not sure if this will help for the rest of you but you never know...

Thanks

• Like 1

In your original posting, you say that after your wife complained you yourself  "Went out for a drive and was able to replicate it immediately".  Were you driving with your foot on the clutch too? :giggle:

Edited by Guest