How good a car is the 245 Octavia VRS?

Okay, at the moment I have a MK2 FL 2011 Octavia VRS and as you can see right at the bottom of this post, spent a little bit of money on it getting it how I want it. I really love the car, but in a couple of years, I intend to buy a MK3 Octavia 245 VRS to replace it. I want to wait for their price to go down a little, as I always pay cash for my motors, don't like any form of credit! My question is to all you 245 owners, just how good is your car? Is it that much better than a late MK2 and are they worth buying? You owners are the best people to get some advice from, with your own experience of this model of VRS. Hopefully you will be of assistance with some wise advice.

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

...................apart from the front end

2nd reply into the thread and that can of worms is open already! :D

Never thought I'd say it but it's growing on me. Someone posted a pic recently of their new unpainted FL parked next to their old pre-facelift, and the FL didn't look bad at all.

Edited by ahenners

2 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I had a MK2 FL VRS TSI manual and my MK3 pre-FL VRS TSI DSG is much better all round. Can only imagine the 245 is even better than my 220. 

Thanks for the fast reply ahenners. I know I am asking this question rather early, as I do intend to keep the current car for a while yet. It's just coming up to 100k miles now, so should be good for some time yet. Just dreaming a little at the moment, but I am sure another VRS will be purchased in the future.

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

...................apart from the front end

I know what you mean about the front end, but if the car is really great in all other areas, I think I can live with it. Just have to walk away from it and not look back too often, like we all normally do with our polished motors. lol

11 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Thanks for the fast reply ahenners. I know I am asking this question rather early, as I do intend to keep the current car for a while yet. It's just coming up to 100k miles now, so should be good for some time yet. Just dreaming a little at the moment, but I am sure another VRS will be purchased in the future.

I never fully gelled with my MK2 FL and I can't put my finger on the exact reason. Perhaps it was the spec, or lack of. Perhaps it was the fact it needed oil top ups monthly. Perhaps it was the worry of chain cam tensioner failure. Perhaps it was all of these.

My MK3 improves in just about every way. The interior is more upmarket and a nicer place to be. The tech is much better. The sound system (Canton) is great. I've already had my MK3 longer and I keep scratching my head over what I'd replace it with without spending significantly more.

Unless it absolutely has to be a 245 and you're definitely not swapping for a while, a 230 pre facelift would probably offer 95% the same and would be a more palatable price.

Edited by ahenners

10 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I never fully gelled with my MK2 FL and I can't put my finger on the exact reason. Perhaps it was the spec, or lack of. Perhaps it was the fact it needed oil top ups monthly. Perhaps it was the worry of chain cam tensioner failure. Perhaps it was all of these.

My MK3 improves in just about every way. The interior is more upmarket and a nicer place to be. The tech is much better. The sound system (Canton) is great. I've already had my MK3 longer and I keep scratching my head over what I'd replace it with without spending significantly more.

Unless it absolutely has to be a 245 and you're definitely not swapping for a while, a 230 pre facelift would probably offer 95% the same and would be a more palatable price.

I certainly know what you mean about the cam chain and tensioner, but I had the chains and tensioner changed as a preventative measure 3 years ago. They do use a bit of oil, but so did my old Civic Type R, that's just what the Type R did. I don't mind that, I change the oil every 5k miles anyway. As for the lack of tech, what I have never had, I so far have not missed, although I must admit a bit more tech might be nice. Might even go from a manual to a DSG. Only had one automatic in my whole life and that was a MK2 2.8 V6 Granada in the 80s. If I got the 230, I would probably remap it anyway like my present car. I could get the 245 right now, but the good lady would have a fit me spending that much money on a car at the moment!! Might have to look into what sort of power you can get out of a remapped 230 without changing turbo etc. At my age I really should be getting away from wanting power from my motors, but I just like a bit extra at times! Pipe, slippers and a small diesel should be what is really needed eh. lol   

1 minute ago, roaddetective said:

I certainly know what you mean about the cam chain and tensioner, but I had the chains and tensioner changed as a preventative measure 3 years ago. They do use a bit of oil, but so did my old Civic Type R, that's just what the Type R did. I don't mind that, I change the oil every 5k miles anyway. As for the lack of tech, what I have never had, I so far have not missed, although I must admit a bit more tech might be nice. Might even go from a manual to a DSG. Only had one automatic in my whole life and that was a MK2 2.8 V6 Granada in the 80s. If I got the 230, I would probably remap it anyway like my present car. I could get the 245 right now, but the good lady would have a fit me spending that much money on a car at the moment!! Might have to look into what sort of power you can get out of a remapped 230 without changing turbo etc. At my age I really should be getting away from wanting power from my motors, but I just like a bit extra at times! Pipe, slippers and a small diesel should be what is really needed eh. lol   

I wasn't looking for DSG specifically, but a used one with low mileage and great spec came up just within budget and I wasn't totally against DSG. Turns out it's fantastic and I'm glad I made the switch.

I don't think there's a huge difference when remapped, they are still the same engines essentially, and to my knowledge have the same turbo etc, just a slightly different tune. They all respond very well to a remap. 

10 hours ago, roaddetective said:

Might have to look into what sort of power you can get out of a remapped 230 without changing turbo etc.

If I remember there has been reports that the Pre FL 230 kicks out around 240/250ish BHP and should see 300ish BHP from a Stage 1 remap.  A Pre FL 230 or the original 245 is better specced up as standard than the FL 245

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/skoda/octavia-mk3-2013-/258/stage-1

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

4 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

If I remember there has been reports that the Pre FL 230 kicks out around 240/250ish BHP and should see 300ish BHP from a Stage 1 remap.  A Pre FL 230 or the original 245 is better specced up as standard than the FL 245

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/skoda/octavia-mk3-2013-/258/stage-1

Thanks for the info Auric, that might be a consideration when I decide to change. 300bhp sounds good to this old fella. I might even consider a DSG instead of a manual, as so many members here rate them highly.

Isn't there a difference in the fuel injection systems between the mk2 and mk3?

My understanding was the mk2 only had direct injection and the mk3 had a dual direct and port injection. Supposed to improve emissions and reduce carbon build up on inlet valves.

If you are tuning a mk3 then the wet DSG box is stronger than the manual clutch system (many tuned manuals get upgraded clutches fitted if they use the extra power).

10 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Thanks for the info Auric, that might be a consideration when I decide to change. 300bhp sounds good to this old fella. I might even consider a DSG instead of a manual, as so many members here rate them highly.

If you are looking at remapping, the DSG is likely to be the better option as it's generally considered more robust than the stock clutch on the manual.

10 minutes ago, ahenners said:

If you are looking at remapping, the DSG is likely to be the better option as it's generally considered more robust than the stock clutch on the manual.

Always a wealth of information you guys, thanks. I have read if you map a car with DSG, you usually have to map the DSG box as well. 

Must stick with the old MK2 for now anyway, as she is still going extremely well. All this talk of a MK3 now is too tempting!!

15 hours ago, roaddetective said:

If I got the 230, I would probably remap it anyway like my present car. I could get the 245 right now, but the good lady would have a fit me spending that much money on a car at the moment!! Might have to look into what sort of power you can get out of a remapped 230 without changing turbo etc.   

I think the 245 has a better diff than a 230.

24 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Always a wealth of information you guys, thanks. I have read if you map a car with DSG, you usually have to map the DSG box as well. 

Must stick with the old MK2 for now anyway, as she is still going extremely well. All this talk of a MK3 now is too tempting!!

TCU map is completely optional, it's not a requirement as such though many prefer the behaviour of the box afterwards as things such as clamping pressure, shift points are changed, kickdown can be disabled too I believe.

13 minutes ago, Saints92 said:

I think the 245 has a better diff than a 230.

Does it? It's the same VAQ unit, isn't it?

Edited by ahenners

Just now, Saints92 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere the 245 has an LSD but the other variants don't. I'll try and find the article again.

245 has the same VAQ diff as the pre-facelift 230 as far as I know. The 220 pre-facelift and 230 facelift do not have VAQ. Be interested to see the article.

Just now, ahenners said:

245 has the same VAQ diff as the pre-facelift 230 as far as I know. The 220 pre-facelift and 230 facelift do not have VAQ. Be interested to see the article.

It's maybe what I've read about the difference between a 220 and 230 then, tbh. I bought a 220 a year back and had been looking up to see if it was much the same as the 230.

17 hours ago, roaddetective said:

Okay, at the moment I have a MK2 FL 2011 Octavia VRS and as you can see right at the bottom of this post, spent a little bit of money on it getting it how I want it. I really love the car, but in a couple of years, I intend to buy a MK3 Octavia 245 VRS to replace it. I want to wait for their price to go down a little, as I always pay cash for my motors, don't like any form of credit! My question is to all you 245 owners, just how good is your car? Is it that much better than a late MK2 and are they worth buying? You owners are the best people to get some advice from, with your own experience of this model of VRS. Hopefully you will be of assistance with some wise advice.

If you drive upto Leicestershire you can have a go in mine as you clearly like a tuned motor. Then you can see the potential of the 245 with no suspension mods which no doubt to some would give the final polish to an already excellent package. Wouldn't trade my car in for anything in the same price bracket (under £32,000 new).:inlove:

35 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

If you drive upto Leicestershire you can have a go in mine as you clearly like a tuned motor. Then you can see the potential of the 245 with no suspension mods which no doubt to some would give the final polish to an already excellent package. Wouldn't trade my car in for anything in the same price bracket (under £32,000 new).:inlove:

So tempted my friend, but a little too far to go from Didcot for a test drive.