Using VAG OEM mic with aftermarket head unit

gr0m1t

Happy Christmas all!

Looking to use my VAG OEM microphone that is already installed with my new aftermarket (Sony) head unit... the sony has a 3.5mm mic in... and the skoda one is on the proprietary VAG connector... The Sony unit does come with a microphone that I can use - but my god is it big and ugly looking! 

I was wondering if there was a way of adapting the connector on the end of the VAG OEM mic, to a 3.5mm plug, so I can use it with my new head unit? Does anyone have a photo of the connector, or know the pin out? I assume it is just a plus/ minus/ ground (common) - but being VAG I could be wrong. If that is the case - I can just chop the connector off and attach a new one on...

Any help would be appreciated!

Hope everyone is having a lovely Christmas day!

G.

33 minutes ago, gr0m1t said:

Nice - thanks for that @Nathanio. Has anyone had any experience running these from the central light console to the radio?

I've fitted a dash cam which sorta required similar access. I also did my wife's fabia Bluetooth. 

Remove the cover over the mic area, run the mic in and then run it down the left hand side. Easier to get to the back of the headunit. 

The side panels of the a pillar just pulls off. 

So - just to confirm... down the passenger side? And under/ behind the glovebox? Had a bit of a look at running behind the glovebox the other day - looks like hard work, am I wrong?

• 3 years later...

I know this question is quite old but I have seen similar questions on other forums and I had the same problem in my vw tiguan when installing an aftermarket headunit.
The oem microphone is an active one and not compatible with aftermarket head units. The disadvantage of using a passive one (like the Nathanio suggested) is that the sound quality and sensitivity is quite bad if you install it in the overhead console.
My solution was two add an extra (oem) cable running from the microphone to the headunit with a special adapter I created that will power the microphone. The original cable is still connected to the old bluetooth module but not connected anymore to the microphone.

+---------------------------- (5 Volts) power supply (from usb or 12v to 5v converter)
        |
       2k2 R1
        |
        o------[+] 10uF ----o----- output
        |+                          |
     CAPSULE (mic)      10k R2
        |-                           |
        +----------------------o----- GND, and battery -ve  

This will power the microphone and filter out the signal for the head-unit

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 20/06/2022 at 12:18, xact64 said:

I know this question is quite old but I have seen similar questions on other forums and I had the same problem in my vw tiguan when installing an aftermarket headunit.
The oem microphone is an active one and not compatible with aftermarket head units. The disadvantage of using a passive one (like the Nathanio suggested) is that the sound quality and sensitivity is quite bad if you install it in the overhead console.
My solution was two add an extra (oem) cable running from the microphone to the headunit with a special adapter I created that will power the microphone. The original cable is still connected to the old bluetooth module but not connected anymore to the microphone.

+---------------------------- (5 Volts) power supply (from usb or 12v to 5v converter)
        |
       2k2 R1
        |

Hi @xact64This looks great.  Do you think you could knock up an adapter for me?  I'd be happy to pay.

Damian

• 5 months later...
On 20/06/2022 at 21:18, xact64 said:

|
       2k2 R1
        |

Hi. I am trying to achieve what you described in my 2011 Octavia RS.
Did you run a second cable from the overhead microphone to the head unit or cut and re-terminate the existing cable from the mic? I have located the mic cable where it connects to the connection block that went into the original RNS510. Not sure whether to cut it or run another cable from the mic itself. 
I have made up the circuit you posted and now need to find a 5 volt source. The rest should be straightforward enough. 
I would appreciate any advice you could offer. 
Cheers, Michael. 

I did run a second cable to the overhead microphone because I didn't want the destroy the possibility to go back to an OEM solution but more importantly because my cable was not going to my HU but to the Telephone module underneath the passenger seat. My HU does have a 5v output but I chose to not rely on the output of the HU so I used a 12v to 5v converter (aliexpress) that I hooked into the 12v ACC of the car (behind the HU)

On 19/07/2023 at 21:05, xact64 said:

I did run a second cable to the overhead microphone because I didn't want the destroy the possibility to go back to an OEM solution but more importantly because my cable was not going to my HU but to the Telephone module underneath the passenger seat. My HU does have a 5v output but I chose to not rely on the output of the HU so I used a 12v to 5v converter (aliexpress) that I hooked into the 12v ACC of the car (behind the HU)

Was there any difficulty feeding the new cable from the mic to the HU? Just wondering how you went about it, i.e. route and any tricks to help feeding it through.
Also where did you tap the 12 volt DC  supply from for the 12 to 5 volt converter. I have ordered one from Aliexpress. 

Thanks 🙏 

I didn't mind removing the trims to do so but I did need a long "stick" to feed the cable through the headlining.
From what I remember I added a female power connector (and a male power connector on my mic adapter)  to the adapter cable between the HU and the car.

• 8 months later...

So I tried to measure the OE micropohone, it only uses 2 wires, impednace seems quite high to me.

I do not understand the logic of the  described schema, if it is supposed to feed voltage to the microphone? Do the OEM units do the same thing?

image.thumb.png.8b28217d760e726a023220773da3b8f7.png