iOS 12.1.2 killed Carplay

My iPhone XS updated to 12.1.2 whilst I was on a trip in Europe and when I picked my car (MY18 280 L&K estate since you asked) from the airport car park, CarPlay has refused to work.  The system refuses to recognise that I have plugged a device in via USB.  

Since it was late and I was keen to get home I didn’t play around too much lat night, but before I go and sit in the car outside the house and fiddle about (much to the amusement of the neighbours), does anyone have any tips?

thanks

1 hour ago, Adrian55555 said:

Try a new cable aswell

+1. I’ve gone through 2-3 in nearly 2 years S3 ownership.  When CarPlay connectivity  is intermittent then I just buy another cable. Amazon basics, sorted. 

Thanks guys.  On booting the car up this morning the phone was recognised.  Happiness is restored (although am still a little miffed that CarPlay drops the hands free phone connection.

I've seen it sometime where Apple Carplay doesn't kick in until i unlock the handset. If you see the issue again, try unlocking the phone while the cable is still plugged in. It should hopefully just kick into life.

1 hour ago, NetScaler said:

I've seen it sometime where Apple Carplay doesn't kick in until i unlock the handset. If you see the issue again, try unlocking the phone while the cable is still plugged in. It should hopefully just kick into life.

Yes, I had this more regularly recently. I'd also echo the cable comments - mine has been replaced a couple of times when the acute bend needed to fit in the cubby hole seems to damage the connection.

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I’m sure my iphone used to connect to CarPlay just by plugging it, but now (after some update or other) it has to be unlocked. Some security issue I guess.

Yes, I've found this too, but it's intermittent. There's a toggle in the Carplay settings on the iPhone to allow it when locked, but even when selected it will still sometimes refuse to connect until I unlock the phone...

My previous phone was a Galaxy S6 and connectivity with Android Auto was hit and miss. I tried a few cables and sort of gave in - suspected the phone.

Swapped phone earlier this year to a Galaxy S9 and it works consistently. And works with the cable I had with the S6 with the addition of a Micro USB to USB C convertor. So it must have been the phone?? Or a SGS6 didn't get on with the Columbus unit via Android Auto.

Edited by rtj70

On 28/12/2018 at 13:47, winmoz said:

Thanks guys.  On booting the car up this morning the phone was recognised.  Happiness is restored (although am still a little miffed that CarPlay drops the hands free phone connection.

It DOES NOT drop hands-free, it changes it. Hold gthe voice activation button for a couple of seconds and Siri will opne, simply ask Siri to make the call and there's your hands-free, everything else is as if the infotainment is operating the phone

Thanks, but my issue is that CarPlay overides the “business phone” connection. I run two phones, one personal, the other for work.  The standard phone connection allows both to be toggled easily, but Carplabdrops then both and only allows the phone connected by cable to be used.

On 29/12/2018 at 10:49, CheshireBumpkin said:

Yes, I've found this too, but it's intermittent. There's a toggle in the Carplay settings on the iPhone to allow it when locked, but even when selected it will still sometimes refuse to connect until I unlock the phone...

I just checked and I too have it set to allow CarPlay when locked - but it doesn’t seem to take much notice!