New year- who’s got what planned for their Octavia?

It’s easy to route the wires up to the point you have to route it through the conduit between the roof and the boot. That took a bit of figuring out, otherwise I routed the video cable alongside the OEM cabling, cable tieing it along the way.

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2019 at 10:43, SashaGrace said:

Thanks :) I think I’ve pushed it a bit with the virtual cockpit because of the faff changing the radio again, but it’ll all be sorted soon. The rest were bargain mods, the reverse cam is honestly the best £16 I’ve ever spent so it’s made up for there I suppose :biggrin:

Sasha, do you know if that mod would work on Amunsden?

Kev

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Virtual Cockpit will work with a MIB2.5 Amundsen just fine and the reverse camera will work with any Amundsen, MIB1 or 2.

Thanks, it was the reverse camera im interested in. Amundsen 64 plate, not sure what MIB that would be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Focus RS you know you want it!:D

Boots not big enough, its my work car. But your right I wanted the RS when I got the ST, couple of things put me off, firstly the head gasket failure problem hitting the values and the deals just were not good then as they were pushing the limited edition models for OTT prices and 5% apr, the rest were 0%. Still a couple of new ones around that they have to sell soon as the years derogation period will be up, or they will have to pre register them so watching them. The air con seals will all of failed by now though, dam :crying:

Plenty new VRS's around now, all 3 of my local dealers had one last time I was in. But they are a bit low spec compared to mine and overpriced. Plus I don't want a car with a GPF, not yet for a long while at least. Might keep mine a bit longer although I don't really want to. Otherwise might get a 09 ish Mondeo Titanium 2.5 or something for about £3-£4k for now. We don't need 3 new cars anymore tbh. 

My mate has the current Focus RS and whilst it was fun and no doubt very quick, the cabin was still just (now previous gen) standard Focus but with some nicer seats. So cramped, cheap plastics, and not a high point on quality. My friend even commented that my Octavia was nicer inside.

I know it's not the primary reason you buy an RS, but it's the elephant in the room for a £30k+ car that is intended for daily use. The Golf R, S3 etc. all do not have this problem.

My 245 needs a bloody good wash. Not touched it since the summer last year I think. Shame on me, but having a toddler at home and street parking outside makes logistics of cleaning the car at the weekend a little troublesome.

Car wash at local Morrissons on Saturday it is.

5 hours ago, ahenners said:

My mate has the current Focus RS and whilst it was fun and no doubt very quick, the cabin was still just (now previous gen) standard Focus but with some nicer seats. So cramped, cheap plastics, and not a high point on quality. My friend even commented that my Octavia was nicer inside.

I know it's not the primary reason you buy an RS, but it's the elephant in the room for a £30k+ car that is intended for daily use. The Golf R, S3 etc. all do not have this problem.

I wouldn’t expect anything else on Skoda forum. I have both an ST and VRS and just recently replaced my 66 plate A6 quattro for something else.   Best build and perceived Quality is the A6 by a mile. VRS is last, cheap materials all over and advanced signs of wear in carpets etc after only 40k. Plus its in the pits Broken! Fun, style and smiles is ST by far. VRS is mainly just a standard Octavia too! I like the VRS but only got it for the size of the boot over competitors. I should have got the ST3 estate in hindsight. Then I could have had an RS too if the piggy bank was fat enough. 

4 hours ago, JuanGandini said:

My 245 needs a bloody good wash. Not touched it since the summer last year I think. Shame on me, but having a toddler at home and street parking outside makes logistics of cleaning the car at the weekend a little troublesome.

Car wash at local Morrissons on Saturday it is.

Don't use the brush which everyone else has been collecting gravel with waiting for you to rub all over your Black (dirty) Magic paint.:doh:

1 hour ago, teescom09 said:

I wouldn’t expect anything else on Skoda forum. I have both an ST and VRS and just recently replaced my 66 plate A6 quattro for something else.   Best build and perceived Quality is the A6 by a mile. VRS is last, cheap materials all over and advanced signs of wear in carpets etc after only 40k. Plus its in the pits Broken! Fun, style and smiles is ST by far. VRS is mainly just a standard Octavia too! I like the VRS but only got it for the size of the boot over competitors. I should have got the ST3 estate in hindsight. Then I could have had an RS too if the piggy bank was fat enough. 

Shocker as Audi starting around £33k+ is the best quality wise Vs a Ford starting around £18k+ and a Skoda starting around £18k.

Yes the VRS is also just a standard Octavia, however it's a £26k version of an £18k car, whereas the Focus RS is a £33k version of an £18k car. Whilst there's always going to be a gap between the lowest trim and the top one, the RS isn't far off double cost with largely the same £18k interior and infotainment etc.

How old is your Focus and Octavia? My VRS is 5+ and 50k and the only signs of wear inside are a few light scuffs on the glovebox door + the leather sides on the drivers seat are fairly creased. Elsewhere it's very much as you'd expect with no real signs of wear, despite having 2 young children.

Regarding the bit about expecting anything less on a Skoda forum... It's just my opinion, and I happen to own an Octavia but that doesn't automatically qualify my opinion as biased It seems that various magazines also agree that interior quality is still better on the Octavia so I'm not alone outside of the Skoda Forum.

Whatcar, who to my knowledge do not post on a Skoda forum, or have any other Skoda bias agenda, also reported from a triple test of the new Focus, Octavia and Kia Ceed, that interior quality was still best in the Octavia. A car model 5 years older than the Focus tested. They rated the Focus last, and this is the new Focus which has a significantly improved interior over the outgoing Focus ST. Having sat in a new Focus ST Line X recently, I'm inclined to agree; definite improvement over the previous but still inferior to the Octavia in materials and build in my opinion. The infotainment also did not look like something designed for a new model in 2018.

Autoexpress also tested a VRS 245 Vs a Focus ST and again voted the Octavia as having a better quality cabin. Haven't seen any biased Autoexpress journalists on here either:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-ford-focus-and-kia-ceed-vs-skoda-octavia/n18097 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/100471/skoda-octavia-vrs-245-vs-ford-focus-st

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Shocker as Audi starting around £33k+ is the best quality wise Vs a Ford starting around £18k+ and a Skoda starting around £18k.

Yes the VRS is also just a standard Octavia, however it's a £26k version of an £18k car, whereas the Focus RS is a £33k version of an £18k car. Whilst there's always going to be a gap between the lowest trim and the top one, the RS isn't far off double cost with largely the same £18k interior and infotainment etc.

How old is your Focus and Octavia? My VRS is 5+ and 50k and the only signs of wear inside are a few light scuffs on the glovebox door + the leather sides on the drivers seat are fairly creased. Elsewhere it's very much as you'd expect with no signs of excessive wear, despite having 2 young children.

Regarding the bit about expecting nothing less on a Skoda forum... It's just my opinion, and I happen to own an Octavia but that doesn't automatically qualify my opinion as biased. It seems that various magazines also agree that interior quality is still better on the Octavia so I'm not alone outside of the Skoda Forum.

Whatcar, who to my knowledge do not post on a Skoda forum, or have any other Skoda bias agenda, also reported from a triple test of the new Focus, Octavia and Kia Ceed, that interior quality was still best in the Octavia. They actually rated the Focus last, and this is the new Focus which has a significantly improved interior over the outgoing Focus ST. Having sat in a new Focus ST Line X recently, I'm inclined to agree; definite improvement over the previous but still inferior in materials and build. The infotainment also did not look like something designed for a new model in 2018.

Autoexpress also tested a VRS 245 Vs a Focus ST and again voted the Octavia as having a better quality cabin. Haven't seen any biased Autoexpress journalists on here either:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-ford-focus-and-kia-ceed-vs-skoda-octavia/n18097 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/100471/skoda-octavia-vrs-245-vs-ford-focus-st

I couldn’t care less about this and disagree with almost everything you say. Same for pen pushing numpty journists although the choice is selective. I have both so in a pretty good place to judge. Both good cars for the money, or the VRS was. Both budget in the scale of things. Just the Ford is better in quality style and performance. The Skoda is bigger and not so stylish and not as good a drive.  That’s my opinion. But I never came on to try and trash things seeking a response. 

21 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

I couldn’t care less about this and disagree with almost everything you say. Same for pen pushing numpty journists although the choice is selective. I have both so in a pretty good place to judge. Both good cars for the money, or the VRS was. Both budget in the scale of things. Just the Ford is better in quality style and performance. The Skoda is bigger and not so stylish and not as good a drive.  That’s my opinion. But I never came on to try and trash things seeking a response. 

I wonder if we are even debating the same thing here... Nobody said the Focus ST or Octavia VRS weren't good cars for the money, nobody said they weren't budget in the scale of things. I'm not sure how an Audi A6 entered the equation. Nor am I sure how we moved onto things such as performance, driving enjoyment and style, none of which were mentioned in my original comment about the Focus RS interior. For what it's worth I agree that the Focus ST is more fun to drive, I've driven my brother's 14 plate.

Enjoy your evening :)

Edited by ahenners

2 hours ago, ahenners said:

How old is your Focus and Octavia? My VRS is 5+ and 50k and the only signs of wear inside are a few light scuffs on the glovebox door + the leather sides on the drivers seat are fairly creased. Elsewhere it's very much as you'd expect with no real signs of wear, despite having 2 young children.

Regarding the bit about expecting anything less on a Skoda forum... It's just my opinion, and I happen to own an Octavia but that doesn't automatically qualify my opinion as biased It seems that various magazines also agree that interior quality is still better on the Octavia so I'm not alone outside of the Skoda Forum.

Whatcar, who to my knowledge do not post on a Skoda forum, or have any other Skoda bias agenda, also reported from a triple test of the new Focus, Octavia and Kia Ceed, that interior quality was still best in the Octavia. A car model 5 years older than the Focus tested. They rated the Focus last, and this is the new Focus which has a significantly improved interior over the outgoing Focus ST. Having sat in a new Focus ST Line X recently, I'm inclined to agree; definite improvement over the previous but still inferior to the Octavia in materials and build in my opinion. The infotainment also did not look like something designed for a new model in 2018.

Just reading today's Auto Express comparing Octavia 1.6TDi SEL Estate versus Brand New Ford Focus 1.5TDi EcoBlue ST-Line Estate and VW Golf 1.6TDi SE Nav Estate. The 6 year old Skoda wins , Focus 2nd and Golf 3rd. I quote "The Octavia retains its crown as the best family estate car around.It could be the best estate car you can buy, full stop.It offers great value because it comes with loads of standard kit and a huge level of space inside. The Skoda is also good to drive, comfortable and cheap to run. Its performance will help with carrying heavy loads, while the plentiful rear legroom will be a hit with kids".:thumbup:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake

Depends what you want really. Apart from badge snobbery, I still get laughed at by some having a Skoda. I doubt I’d get another but not because of that. The focus is more comfortable for me with much better support in the recaros, the vrs seats are not great, little side support and I think they were better when it was new but like other materials the drivers seat is worn and less supportive now. The leg room and driving position is far better in the focus too being 6’2” it has the distances from wheel and pedal more like a rear wheel drive, fits like a glove, steering is a whole different level. The ride is firm on bumpy back roads. I have 19” but that's what makes it good. VRS feels sloppy compared to it. The economy is very slightly better too not worse, just ford didn’t lie as much.  The earlier test about the gearboxes is utter ****, no less. The ford gearbox is second to none, the vrs box is good if a bit reluctant sometimes especially on power, but the focus box is perfect. And as for the interior, well to say the octavia looks more modern is .....  specsaver time. The VRS is bigger thats why I have it and very versatile. Journalists spout  utter crap. Half the time they just copy other people’s nonsense and mistakes. Sad state if you need to rely on their often bull**** info. Fact is the Focus outsells Octavia by a very large margin.Based on what I consider good for me,  I would score mk3 FL focus 7/10 Octavia 6/10 overall. New mk4 Focus 6/10 because its no where near as nice as the mk 3 FL and the interior is boring and old fashioned with a tacky ipad glued to the top of dash. Waiting to see new ST, but needs to be bloody good to overcome the frumpy looks. Its to be a 2.3 it seems with about 275hp. 

The Octavia needs its replacement asap not least the VRS which is now even further behind the pack and long in the tooth, always was. The MK 3 FL Focus ST and RS ceased production 9 months ago.   

I must add the fancy diff in my VRS 230 PFL is amazing, it’s not in standard VRS or wasn’t,  the ST one is crap compared to it. Downside is the violent wheel slamming you get flooring it pulling away. If I keep the ST which I might as I like it that much, I want a mountune Quaff diff fitting. 

Edited by teescom09

4 hours ago, ahenners said:

I wonder if we are even debating the same thing here... Nobody said the Focus ST or Octavia VRS weren't good cars for the money, nobody said they weren't budget in the scale of things. I'm not sure how an Audi A6 entered the equation. Nor am I sure how we moved onto things such as performance, driving enjoyment and style, none of which were mentioned in my original comment about the Focus RS interior. For what it's worth I agree that the Focus ST is more fun to drive, I've driven my brother's 14 plate.

Enjoy your evening :)

That will be pre face lift? FL is far better, so is interior, chalk and cheese. 

The RS interior is really nice in my eyes. Sporty and fresh. But theres a lot more to an RS than what you say. One of most advanced 4wd systems in the world as well as every thing else hugely uprated. The Golf R isn’t a comparison to an RS, for looks alone its a lemon. less 40/50hp and a vastly inferior 4wdsystem and unfortunately its not a Ford RS! The S3 isn’t worth mentioning. RS3 - now your talking, but how much? Forget it M2 all day or a deal on an M4

Edited by teescom09

17 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Back on topic not planning anything on the Beast this year as I spent so much in 2018, just gonna put fuel in and enjoy driving it for another 18,500 miles until the 2nd service is due sometime in 2020.:thumbup:

I would consider changing your oil a bit more often than LL especially with your level of tune. One in between at least. I no longer trust the oil the dealers use either. In future I take my own Get mine back tomorrow with a new turbo. It failed straight after 40k service. First breakdown of  one of my cars since 1998. About 600000 miles and 20 cars

I hate these iphones useless piles of crap! 

Edited by teescom09
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

I would consider changing your oil a bit more often than LL especially with your level of tune. One in between at least. I no longer trust the oil the dealers use either. In future I take my own Get mine back tomorrow with a new turbo. It failed straight after 40k service. First breakdown of  one of my cars since 1998. About 600000 miles and 20 cars

Advice taken onboard. Speaking of the beloved iphone wife tried to get me to upgrade from my 8 year old iphone 4 for her old iphone 6S what a pile of poo it was. Lasted 1 week until I took it to our network provider to swap SIM over to get my old friend. It may be old like me but at least it works when Ineed/want it to. Rant over.:thumbup:

49 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

When the turbo went on the Vrs was it completely standard?:cool: