Soon will be first 3000 km. First oil change.

Rudzitis

Soon will be first 3000 km so oil is change is a must! 

Can Škoda program oil change interval for 10k km??? Or I need bring old school metodes like writing on paper? 

What you do to remember??? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rudzitis said:

Soon will be first 3000 km so oil is change is a must! 

Can Škoda program oil change interval for 10k km??? Or I need bring old school metodes like writing on paper? 

What you do to remember??? 

Is the 3,000 km / 1,800 mile oil change your preference, or a manufacturers requirement? The need for early oil changes on brand new engines long since disappeared with the continuous development of modern engines and oil.

The car will tell you when it needs a service via the dash display, and will give you a couple of weeks / thousand km's notice.

It also depends on if your car has been set to fixed service intervals (10,000 km's or 12 months, whichever is reached first), or variable service intervals (up to 20,000 km's or 24 months, the car decides for itself when it needs fresh oil).

You can also check how many km's and /or days are remaining before a service is due via the infotainment system.

Either way there is definitely no need to write a reminder down on paper.

15 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Is the 3,000 km / 1,800 mile oil change your preference, or a manufacturers requirement? The need for early oil changes on brand new engines long since disappeared with the continuous development of modern engines and oil.

The car will tell you when it needs a service via the dash display, and will give you a couple of weeks / thousand km's notice.

It also depends on if your car has been set to fixed service intervals (10,000 km's or 12 months, whichever is reached first), or variable service intervals (up to 20,000 km's or 24 months, the car decides for itself when it needs fresh oil).

You can also check how many km's and /or days are remaining before a service is due via the infotainment system.

Either way there is definitely no need to write a reminder down on paper.

My dealer sad that I need to change oil on 3000... And they are manufacturers 

And after that what car will say but I would love to change oil by 10000km will contact them and hope they can help with 10k notice 

@Rudzitis ?  The Dealer is not the Manufacturer are they? 

They are Sellers of cars and Servicing / Maintenance / Repairs.

So who said it & why did they say that,

is it because they want lots of money from you, or are they doing this 'early oil and filter change for free' ?

9,400 mile / 15,000km or 372 days for fixed servicing, which ever comes first

or Variable Servicing.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Edited by Skoffski

16 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Rudzitis ?  The Dealer is not the Manufacturer are they? 

They are Sellers of cars and Servicing / Maintenance / Repairs.

So who said it & why did they say that,

is it because they want lots of money from you, or are they doing this 'early oil and filter change for free' ?

9,400 mile / 15,000km or 372 days for fixed servicing, which ever comes first

or Variable Servicing.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

http://greenmotors.lv

I bought from them the car. 

I think I will pay for that... 

When I got vw polo I liked service and price was not lowest but not highest too... 

I would like to trust them with my car maintenance and service, is that bad idea? 

• Like 1

If they are trying to rip you off with servicing at 3,000 km i would not trust them.

If they know how you drive and care about you then maybe they are being nice. 

Might give a good deal for this simple 'New Car check over and oil and filter change'.

Maybe the person that said Oil change at 3,000km has not a clue.

If you like i am a Nigerian Prince and can send my bank details and you can give me your bank details and i can send you my millions and you can give me it when i get to Latvia!

• Haha 1

There is a possibility this is a requirement in Latvia. You could always email Škoda Latvia Customer Services and get them to confirm this either way, just ensure they give their answer in a printable format. 

Not sure if this also applies to variable servicing, but on annual servicing if you turn the black knob near the Speedometer it will indicate how many miles (or kilometres) and days until the next service - check your handbook. 

As for trusting your local dealer, from personal experience, both of mine are slippery as a slippery thing in Slipperyville. Hence why I get them to confirm everything in a printable format. 

No paper, no trail. 

3000km? Are you sure? I passed that quite a while ago, I'm pretty certain that my owners manual says 30 000km, but I will still get it changed on a yearly basis. 3000km I do in like 3 months, that will be alot of oilchanges.

The 3,000 km service is only done once. After that normal service intervals resume.

It's generally seen as old fashioned advice, to clear out any manufacturing swarf and metallic debris introduced during the engine and engine component production processes.

Modern manufacturing techniques mean that this isn't an issue anymore so this early service is seen as an unnecessary money-maker.

Skoda UK do not implement this early service.

Dealer told me oil change at two years or 20,000 miles, (over 30,000 Kms).

Seems incredible to me. I do it at 5,000 miles but this is a lease car so their problem.

There are two types of service interval, so the owner can choose which they prefer.

1) Fixed service interval - 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first. Ideal for low annual mileage or those who prefer fresh oil at least once a year.

2) Variable service interval - Up to 20,000 miles or 24 months. The car chooses for itself when it needs fresh oil. Suited to high annual mileage, predominantly motorway use, low engines loads etc.

If the car is leased then you should be looking to minimise your financial outlay, and stick to variable service intervals to keep costs down.

If the car is owned then you should be looking to stick to fixed service intervals unless your annual mileage is high.

Fresh engine oil is the lifeblood of any engine and oil cooled turbo.

There are many service intervals and regimes that can be chosen and coded. These no doubt are country and market specific.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/SRI_Reset_Procedure

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw_sri.html

Cars in extreme climates may be programmed for shorter intervals, no doubt the importer has a say in this.

What I have seen in Poland, for Skoda/Seat it seems that oil changes are every 2 years / 30,000km but with an annual inspection (although this may be a legal requirement).

I think the OP has confused 30,000km with 3,000km or his dealer is fleecing him.

Edited by xman

1 hour ago, xman said:

What I have seen in Poland, for Skoda/Seat it seems that oil changes are every 2 years / 30,000km but with an annual inspection (although this may be a legal requirement).

That's the same as the UK, 30,000 km's is 18,641 miles. Skoda UK simply quote 20,000 for their variable service interval to keep it simple, in the same way they quote 10,000 miles for their fixed interval, when it's actually 9,320 (15,000 km's).

The 'inspection' service is also on UK models too. No parts are replaced though, it's simply a visual inspection and so largely ignored by owners and dealers.

My Rapid also has QI6 on data label in the boot.

It recently started showing "inspection required in 30 days" and counting down. I phoned main dealer, who supplied it last August, it came with a headed letter stating flexible oil service done at 11,100, before collection.

asked what that consisted of, they say they have invoices for oil and oil filter change, no mention of fuel or pollen filters or other items.

They say just needs the service interval "reset", as not required until 20,000 miles, so should be no charge, but as vehicle is coming up to 2 years old, may need something else and to book it in, but couldn't give me a price. 

I asked a local independent VAG garage, who suggests as only done 2,000 miles since purchase, now 13000, but as I'm going to increase the usage, so should reach 20,000 in the next 4 to 5 months, to wait untill then, and then they would do what they call a 2nd year long life service that's around £210.

Works for me.

P.S. Eventually managed to reset the "inspection required" warning, by following YouTube instructions, more by luck than anything.

On 04/01/2019 at 12:18, silver1011 said:

There are two types of service interval, so the owner can choose which they prefer.

1) Fixed service interval - 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first. Ideal for low annual mileage or those who prefer fresh oil at least once a year.

2) Variable service interval - Up to 20,000 miles or 24 months. The car chooses for itself when it needs fresh oil. Suited to high annual mileage, predominantly motorway use, low engines loads etc.

If the car is leased then you should be looking to minimise your financial outlay, and stick to variable service intervals to keep costs down.

Exactly what I did, specifically asked the dealer for variable long term service on a 2 year, 30,000 mile lease, so only need to have it serviced once :biggrin:

• Like 1

You should be OK, be wary though, variable is "up to" 20,000 miles, so depending on your journey type and driving style it could be less i.e. 15,000 miles.

It is actually 18,641 miles, not 20,000 miles, it's a conversion from 30,000 kilometres.

As long as the service light isn't on when they collect the car.

9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

When I had the Yeti I went to the garage to arrange an oil and filter change at 10k miles. The service guy refused to do it as he said I’d be wasting my money. Oh how things have changed!

Had similar with my octavia, service light came on at 16,000, phoned dealer to book it in, they said wait until 18,000 if I could put up with the service warning ping every time I started the car.

• 4 weeks later...