Wheel Spacers

I didn't get any answer on this so I will try again, after searching on net I couldn't find any benefit of having less track witdh in front on FF cars. Only benefit is more grip on straight line if your wheels are closer. I measured distance from fender to wheel and rear has 15mm,front 25mm so actually I could fit only 10mm spacers in front to be on the safe side to reduce this gap on front side. But I wonder will it downgrade handling? 

You will also have increased fuel consumption at motorway speeds due to increased aerodynamic drag.

I believe that is the main reason why most cars have the wheels tucked in (fuel consumption is seen as a major thing in OEM development) and some even go to the extreme of covering the wheels (1st gen honda insight, etc).

having said that if you are not too worried about fuel consumption, you use a hubcentric spacer (so that the load is on the bore and not the studs) and longer studs it should be fine.

image.png.547ef23eb61861087c4beaee1cadfefa.png

4 hours ago, FrankLK said:

For fuel consumption there is logic but it looks bad.

Manufacturers have to meet strict corporate average emissions and fuel consumption targets or face large fines so for them substance is more important than style.

• 2 months later...

Everything has a good side and a bad side. It depends on how you choose.

For those who say that wheel spacers are bad, will increase the unsprung weight. Of course, if you choose steel wheel spacers, the weight will definitely be 20% heavier than aluminum alloy.

On the contrary, if you choose forged aluminum alloy 6061-T6 or higher strength 7075-T6, at the same time of high strength, the lightest weight, but also can increase the performance of the car.

I had 20mm spacers(from bonoss) for front and rear.Well, i have to say,that's awesome! absoulutely changed the vehicle into a new look.

2071385455_AfterBONOSSforgedlightweightpluswheelspacersonLexusISF2010frontrear20(2).thumb.jpg.c35185cb66bac8751b81471d4d5f8937.jpg

1720545126_LexusISF2010frontrear20.thumb.jpg.0ed5735b0b37da4bc6fe215e06b0e968.jpg

883326040_BONOSSforgedlightweightpluswheelspacersonLexusISF2010frontrear20mm.thumb.jpg.1e933944907dacacc2b98474085c6776.jpg

On 06/01/2019 at 16:45, tunedude said:

Is there a reason Skoda don't (or didn't) have their cars leave with the wheels filling the wheel well that bit more.

I quite often think what does a multinational company and a zillion pound R&D team know that I'm not privy to.

Yes, in the real world there are plenty of country roads which get muddy water when it rains.   Moving the wheels outwards increases the likelihood of getting muddy splashes along the sides.

..... of course if you like muddy look, moving them out helps, although if that was your aim, throwing a bucket of muddy water over the car would achieve similar effect.