Door Control Modules - interchangeable?

Good evening all,

So, long story short, after changing the window regulator in the drivers door I managed to get the door control module wet and fried it, so nothing on the drivers door works.  I know it is the door control module I fried because I had just reconnected everything and tested it and was in the process of reinstalling the door card when I got it wet and everything stopped working.  I'm in the process of ordering a replacement door control module but I can only find ones advertised for passenger side.  They are identical part numbers and look identical, so I assume it doesnt matter?

Thanks for any help.

Although the part number of the control module is identical, the software inside might change depending on which car and side it's designed to fit.

For instance, on a gen3 door controller, the part number shown in VCDS is typically printed on the motor rather than the control module so when replacing, you need to make sure both match.

What part numbers are you looking at and have you got any pictures?

Edited by langers2k
spacing

Thanks for all your replies guys, very helpful.

I didn't want to admit, but it happened because my daughter was cleaning my wifes car whilst i was refitting the door card and she sprayed the inside of my door in the process.  I didnt see any smoke, just the car beeped like i had locked it with the central locking, but after that it was all dead.  The door didn't move between when it was working and when it was broken so i doubt its a broken wire.

Ive dried everything off with a hair dryer, including taking the board out the control module, but still no luck.

Part number is 8X0939793C, pic below.

IMG_0201.JPG

So out of curiosity I wanted to check the power going to the module.  Does anybody know which wires it should be?  I've checked the thick red and brown wires on the plug in the picture below, but i dont know if they are power going to the module or from it.

Thanks

IMG_0210.JPG

the car may have sensed a short and disabled the functions (wild guesswork) there also could be water inside the module, can you cut it open?

Have you tried disconnecting the batterey and waiting for a good while before re connecting?

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 

The module when removed from the car is already open so it’s been fully dried inside, and I’ve checked the power to the connectors is all good and it seems to be. 

Ive ordered another module so I’ll update when I’ve plugged it in and seen if it works.  

• 2 weeks later...

The issue is fixed so I thought i'd post up the resolution.

Firstly, I managed to get hold of another door control module from ebay, matching the part number and year for the car.  Plugged it in and it works perfectly, and for reference the part number is 8X0959793C.

Furthermore, I did contact the dealership and they provided a superseded part number which is 8X0959793H.  This part did work, but they provided it with the wrong software so the buttons did the incorrect functions, and as they wanted £144 to reprogram it then I gave it them back.

• Like 2