Looking to buy a Fabia Mk3 1.2TSi any advice?

As per the title I want to but a 1.2Tsi preferably a Monte Carlo or SE L.  Any advice on what to look for and/or avoid or if anybody is about to trade theirs in or looking to sell please give me a shout I may well be interested.

Thanks

• Like 1

My last S EL is still up for sale at a local independent dealer who is very trustworthy.

It's a 16 plate DSG with 27k on the clock and I looked after it extremely well.

If you want to know more message me.

The car is in Ormskirk.

Edited by RickW

My 2017 plate 1.2 TSI manual gear change had problems from new when trying to select 1st gear. The problem was checked by the main dealer and they (and others) said to see if it improved with mileage since gearboxes are always the last item of a car to become run-in. The main dealer did register the problem in case the issue became worse instead of better. It is now coming up to 2 years old (13300 miles) and the issue has improved to being OK/acceptable but not totally smooth.

Another thing to avoid is a model with KESSY.

Have a 16 plate 1.2 tsi SE 90 manual.  Bought S/H with 14000 on the clock after having been a hire car. No problems whatsoever, now 26,000, does exactly what it says on the tin.

Edited by peter3197

I initially loved my high-spec  SE L 1.2 TSI 110/DSG, and the engine was a gem. However, over its third year I became less enamoured with the cheap interior trim and the sometimes odd behaviour of the DSG....nothing catastrophic, just the odd strange happening, such as  engine speed rising, momentarily, to about 3000rpm with no input from me, and no increase in road speed, thankfully.  

I simply ceased to trust the DSG's long-term reliability, so decided to trade it for a new Fabia Estate. Astounded at the cost of a new one, to my spec and not delighted at the offered financial deal. In fact, quite disgusted.  Went to the dark side and bought a low-miles 66 plate Toyota Prius Business Edition+ for less than the cost of a new Fabia, thanks to the Toyota dealer actually making th deal very attractive. Love the car, quality is up with the best, economy is excellent, ride quality is superb.....it rides on the FOC optional 15" wheels with 65-series tyres, (which are cheaper and far less prone to pothole damage, but not as 'cool' apparently.  It has more standard toys than Hamleys and they all work. Plus, the Gen 4 Hybrid system is simply brilliant and has what is said to be amongst the most advanced in the industry. I purchased it at years old with 3 years/83k miles remaining on the standard factory warranty. Something of a no-brainer.  Yes, I know, nothing worse than a convert.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

An interesting topic, i have a manual Mk2 TDI at the moment and am happy with it.........but when i come to change i wanted an auto, i had been naturally edging towards a Mk3 TSI with DSG but now am not too sure given a number of posts saying similar with the auto box, i am getting an auto and if that has to be with another maker then so be it.

Adding comments about DSG. I had an Audi A1 before the Fabia on a 66plate - the 7 speed DSG is the exact same as in the Fabia, whilst it was a nice box it could be very annoying. It was jerky in town and when cold gear changes were a bit shuddery. I got rid and wanted a manual Fabia for the pure reason if the DSG blew it costs thousands.

In my opinion, the SEL model is the one to go for, its got all the kit you'd need - auto lights, climate control, cruise control, auto dimming interior mirror, projector headlights (shame no Xenon option) and a decent uprated sound system over SE models. Also interior looks nicer than SE. I have the 90BHP 5 speed 1.2 TSI and i'm very impressed with MPG, over 2,600 miles it averaged 46mpg which was mixed driving. I've seen 57mpg highest on motorway driving 60mph. Plenty enough poke, not fast but enough. If you want a bit more then 110BHP would be better but I don't think it's as efficient from what i've heard (could be how they drove it though). The insurance is also cheap as chips too and I'm 25.

The one thing I don't like is the clutch is very light, which means there isn't much feel so can be harder to pull away smoothly without bogging down or over-revving. Not a big issue to me though, it's not like it's a drivers car!

I wouldn't say there is much to watch out for, every car is different but from my experience I have a noisy gearbox mount when warm & a low speed wheel bearing noise which I believe both are common, my 60 plate Ibiza had a noisy gearbox mount - once replaced it was fine - just depends if you care enough/annoys you enough to fix it.